Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Story/question about cats...

Ernie Clifton
June 5th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hello, I just joined this board a couple of minutes ago in order to ask a question and to share my story. First off, let me post what I wrote in my blog yesterday upon returning from the vet. so that you get some background info. :
I feel miserable, absolutely horrible. I can't stop crying. I can't hold my head up. Just when I thought I had found the perfect addition to my family he was taken from me. I went and adopted a kitty yesterday, a beautiful loving kitty, and brought him home. Last night he was acting sick and throwing up, I attributed this to the fact that he had just recieved two shots and he had just moved in with us so was under some stress. He pooped a little and got it on himself so we cleaned him up. After his bath I went to bed with him and cuddled him all night until about 6:30 this morning. At 6:30 he got up and went in the bathroom. Lizzy found him there covered in a red liquid mess that we believed to be bloody stool. I was worried to death. We called the veterinarian and rushed him there. His body temperature was 10 degrees lower than normal. The vet said something that I couldn't believe, "He's dying." I was devistated. How could this be, my new little buddy, I love him so much. No! It can't be true. The vet got out some hot towels and wrapped him in them to try and stabalize our baby, Carnival (his name). His temperature continued to drop. It seems he had a terrible reaction to the vaccinations and his body just began to stop regulating itsself. The vet told us that he could do bloodwork and give him some IVs but there was a tiny chance that it would do any good, he told us that he couldn't save my kitty's life. We chose to have him euthanized in order to make things less of a strenuous situation on the little guy. He couldn't stand. He could barely breathe. He was fading so fast. I'm still weeping... Nothing has ever hurt this bad... He was my little kid...

That is the background info. I got a new kitty and he became very ill. He was healthy, from what I saw and from what the cat shelter told me, until he recieved his shots. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening. The vet said to me "someone else might tell you that it is just coincidental that he got sick after he got vaccinated, but I'm not buying it. His temperature is dropping too fast, this definately looks like a reaction to the vaccines." Please if anyone knows about anything similar to this happening let me know. Oh and some helpful information would be this: The woman at the cat shelter who gave my cat the shots (before I paid, so he was still her cat) wasn't a vet. My vet said "this is why I tell people not to vaccinate their own animals." Thank you for your time and I hope to learn alot from this forum.

Lucky Rescue
June 5th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Yes, I've heard of cats have bad reactions to vaccinations, but without a necropsy, you can't know what killed your cat. He could have been harboring a disease and the vaccinations caused a fatal reaction....who knows.

I"m so VERY sorry this happened, both for you and for the poor little cat that didn't get to enjoy a loving home, maybe the first he'd ever known.:(

Ernie Clifton
June 6th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Thank you for the kind words. His body is going to be examined so we can figure out what really happened to make sure. I'll let everyone know.