Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rescues, I need some advice!

erykah1310
June 5th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Mia, the barn kittie, doesnt have a home anymore, the potential " adopters" changed their minds.
I want to advertise them but need help with a proper spay/neuter contract. I would prefer to spay/neuter them prior to adopting them out. However, little Larry still doesnt have his " you knows" yet. and the vet wont do them until he does.http://bestsmileys.com/doh/3.gif
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
June 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I don't know how old the kittens are, but our vet will s/n at 8 weeks or 2lbs whichever comes first.

You can try and find a vet who will do it. If not, you charge an adoption fee that includes s/n. Keep a record of when you adopted the cat out, and when it's 3 or 4 months old, call the adopters and make a vet appointment to have it done, and you can pay it.

If you need a basic adoption contract, you can find one halfway down the following page. You can copy it to your Word Pad and add a s/n clause and remove the info for dogs.

http://www.theanimalspirit.com/sample.html

erykah1310
June 5th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks lucky rescue, the kittens are approx 9 ish weeks now, the vet that i have found is really the only one that is willing to spay/neuter at this age, most wont do premature spays and so on. I dont know why.
I would much rather get them done myself, however i am worried that no one will adopt them. I was supposed to work with a rescue here , who has bailed on me for some reason.:confused: I cant bear to think of them sitting in cages at the SPCA or anything like that.
I am so worried that they dont go to good homes too. How do you rescues do this on a daily basis?? Definately great people you all are!!! The stress alone is driving me insane and I only have 2.

badger
June 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM
You're worried that people won't want spayed or neutered kittens? Those are the people you need to avoid - breeders, we call them. If you can have it done now, I think you'd sleep better, rather than having to keep track of the new owners and making sure they live up to the terms of the contract.

Kittens are popular so you shouldn't have too much difficulty finding homes. See if you can adopt them together, two kittens are always better than one; they spend their energy on each other instead of human fingers and toes, not to mention the drapes.

You gotta have faith in rescue, use a contract, and listen to your intuition at all times!

Lucky Rescue
June 5th, 2006, 08:02 PM
The stress alone is driving me insane and I only have 2.

It's driving me to drink!!!:(

Responsible people would be happy to have kittens already s/n. Why wouldn't they?