Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Unkindness of Strangers...

Shamrock
June 5th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Just a small vent...

I made my weekly visit to the cemetary yesterday to discover someone had stolen the pretty cross windchimes I had place in a nearby tree. They were up very securely - had to have been cut down.

Why would someone do such a callous thing? They are not expensive to buy... but they held a lot of personal and special signifigance to me.
I felt very sad.. and disturbed at the thoughtlessness behind this.

I realize anything left in a public place is at risk...but - is nothing sacred?
Guess thats why churches have to stay locked up.:sad:

Skryker
June 5th, 2006, 06:01 PM
:sorry: such a thing happened to you. It's a sad comment on today's world, but nothing that is not locked up securely is safe at all. We've lost flags, windchimes, gnomes, shovels, brooms...all off of our front porch (I think with the dogs bellowing, we're safe now:D ).

I believe that it was Robert Heinlein who said something to the effect of "You can tell alot about a society by the state of its public bathrooms." and I think you can amend that statement to include any public areas-including, unfortunately, cemetaries.

joeysmama
June 5th, 2006, 06:07 PM
What's inconceivable to me is how the person, or people, who took those chimes can possibly derive any pleasure from them . I just don't get it. Are they sitting on their porch listening to those chimes and not feeling even a twinge of guilt ?!?!?

I'm so sorry that you were dealt with so unkindly. I hope the next person to cross your path more than makes up for it !

raingirl
June 5th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Maybe the cemetary staff took them down? I know in most cemetarys it is forbidden to hang items from trees (I did a project on a few historical cemetaries in toronto, and many do not allow any decoration other than flowers at the base of the stone).

Just a thought.

meb999
June 5th, 2006, 09:30 PM
that's just plain wrong. People suck....

Prin
June 5th, 2006, 11:51 PM
If it wasn't the cemetary who took it down, people have problems. I'm sorry people suck, Shamrock. :sad:

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2006, 09:05 AM
People really do suck. My parents haven't been able to plant flowers at my grandparents' sites because other people will come along and dig up the flowers to replant them at other graves. :sad:

doggy lover
June 6th, 2006, 10:11 AM
OMG that is what I call cheep W4F, I just wonder what this world is comming too.:mad:

Shamrock
June 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM
W4F...that is just unbelievable! Removing the flowers, omg! People amaze... in both good and bad ways.

Raingirl..you are quite right. That was the first place I checked - with their office.
I knew that decorations other than flowers are not technically permitted, and other items may be removed by staff.
The concern is not just for esthetics..but objects left on the grounds also present an issue for maintenance workers.
But they didnt take them down. There are a couple of other windchime sets that are still up in the same area. Mine were just the most "reachable".

Thefts from our homes, our yards, our cars,. all things we likely have experienced at one time or another.
I once made the careless mistake of putting my purse in my car trunk at a large park where I frequently walk Percy. Though I didnt see anyone.. someone saw me.
I was gone about an hour.. enough time to break in, and rush off to rack up hundreds on my credit cards. ( First stop... the liquor store)
That was the most substanstial loss .. cash, glasses, ID, etc..but well, thievery is present in our society..and with items of value, gotta be diligent.

But this is different - such a small item.. of no real value to anyone other than me. Why take it?

Plus..it just seems such bad karma to remove items from a cemetery, and a cross image of all things. That is why it kind of shocked me.
I loved both the sound and the symbolism of these when I visited.

But, things happen..
I talked to the staff today, got permission to put up another set.
This time... a little higher.. less visible.

Some individuals have no scruples, guess anything is fair game if they decide they want it.
Its always disturbing when dishonesty affects us personally. Luckily this group is just a small minority.:)

jawert1
June 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I was holding out hope the office would tell you they removed them Shamrock, it seems this has been a week where the *insert expletive here* are just out in droves. It makes no sense and I'm sorry it turned out the way it did :/

jesse's mommy
June 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I'm so sorry you've had to deal with that. The ignorance level of people in this world just increases as each day passes. Unbelievable!

Luvmypit
June 7th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Im so sorry Shamrock. You did not deserve this. Please try your best to not take it personal as it was probably some half witted juveniles who don't think before they act.

Its hard enough what you've been through and God only knows this was not needed. Hope you feel a little better and try not to let the stupid idiotic actions of a few goats ruin a place of solace for you. Take that place back, put up a new set of wind chimes and enjoy it and forget about the heartless as its the last thing you need to think about.

rainbow
June 7th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Shamrock, sorry to hear what happened. Some people just have no respect.
I've always noticed every year that May and June seem to be the worst months. I think perhaps it's all the grad parties and the kids get pack mentality.

glasslass
June 7th, 2006, 07:26 PM
I, too, am sorry your chimes were taken! Forget that "honor among thieves" expression. Because I lost my mom recently, I understand all too well how much those small symbolic momentos mean to the families of lost loved ones. Here, we have a problem with thieves stealing American flags from the graves of veterans.

Schwinn
June 7th, 2006, 10:27 PM
That does suck, Shamrock. Mrs. Schwinn is a huge believer in karma, so if we follow her beliefs...I don't think I'd want to be in thier shoes...