Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new member with 3 small kids looking for collie

jen.zimmer
June 5th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Can anyone give me info for the sarnia area regarding collie rescue or pups available

LavenderRott
June 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM
I know that there are a couple of people on the forum that may be able to help you

While every dog is different - the collie that I had when my girls were younger was not a dog that could be left alone with my children for any length of time at all. She was nippy.

No matter what breed of dog you decide on - if you get a puppy, make sure that the breeder you get one from does all the tests necessary to give you as much assurance to your pup's genetic good health. Collies are prone to eye problems and epilepsy, among other things.

The best dog I ever had with my kids - my rottwieler!

kaytris
June 5th, 2006, 04:49 PM
have you tried petfinder.com?

phoenix
June 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM
are you looking for a border collie (fly in the movie babe), rough collie (lassie) ???

Petfinder has some in your area.

erykah1310
June 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
are you looking for a border collie (fly in the movie babe), rough collie (lassie) ???
Have you researched the characteristics of which ever collie you have decided on? If yes then congratulations on deciding to adopt a dog.
However, definately check with all rescues in your area, many many good dogs there. Pet finder is a great place to look too.
and welcome to the board!

doggy lover
June 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Just food for thought some collie type dogs are not great with children as they use their herding abilities on them. IF you get a rescue make sure the dog has been brought up with small children, and is good with them. Just my two cents. With Tucker he just gets all excited when children run and scream its like it goes right through him, but he is great with teenagers as he has grown up with them.