Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mutilation at Petsmart

LianneCatherine
June 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM
I took Audrie to Petsmart yesterday to have her nails clipped. She had been "quicked" once when she was groomed, so just getting her to hold still has become a group effort. Well, I was holding her, and she was doing surprisingly well - until I heard her yelp. I looked down to see blood everywhere and the employee scrambling for some QuickStop.

NO WONDER she won't let them touch her nails! I specifically go there for the reason that I don't want to risk cutting her quick at home...but what's the use if they do it?

I just felt so horrible for her....here she is terrified already and then her fears are justified when she gets cut! I know it was an accident, but I worked there as a bather and I know that they can cut a tiny bit of nail at a time to make sure not to go too far. :mad:

Will she ever get used to having her nails clipped now? Is there any permanent damage to her paw? Poor baby.... I just felt awful. :(

jessi76
June 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I specifically go there for the reason that I don't want to risk cutting her quick at home...but what's the use if they do it?

so she hates them and not you? ;) (just trying to make you feel a little better about it)

I'm sorry... poor Audrie! did she get a super special treat for enduring the trauma? I do hope she gets over it, and nail trimming isn't a major ordeal each time.

mafiaprincess
June 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I've hit Cider's quick 2x in a year. Once was last month..
She actually is better than ever about nail cutting. Isn't being so dramatic about it, but she has no choice in the matter. If it's nail time we are doing them all no matter what. So I think she's learned she can't stop it by fighting.

gomez
June 6th, 2006, 07:17 AM
If your dog has dark nails it's very hard to judge even for professionals - even our vet managed to do a "quick" by mistake once - Gomez happens to have dark nails AND a very long quick to boot -

He was totally fine, a few minutes after it happened he was jumping all over the vet, all over me and running around the practice with his other friends... He just loves that place, I think he might try to put in for a puppy transfer one day ;)

He has had his nails cut many times since and no problems...

If you are worried about permanent damage, go see your vet, but I doubt it, anything more than a nick would have been been quite obvious, i.e. the bleeding would not have stopped, limping, etc...

Jackie467
June 6th, 2006, 12:11 PM
unfortunetly I'v clipped a couple of Candi's quicks in her life. Ok maybe more than just two. She's pretty good about getting her nails cut but gets destracted very easily and will try to run off after a toy or something and she always moves just as I cut. Strangely enough it doesn't even seem to phase her, no yelps no limping or licking, nothing. In fact it's a fight to get her to stop jumping around while we stop the bleeding.

LianneCatherine
June 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the responses -

It sounds like Audrie should be okay once she gets used to the whole thing. It just breaks my heart to hear her yelp and then see blood everywhere. So unnerving!

I guess I just wondered how sensitive that area is to doggies. It can't be that bad if they don't limp or anything afterwards. Audrie was fine within minutes.

MERI
June 6th, 2006, 08:41 PM
I just wonder what could happen if dog nails are not clipped.
Somebody told me that they could get infected. Is it true?

My basset so scared when he sees me with nail clipper! He even pees a little bit when I try to do it:sad:

Prin
June 6th, 2006, 11:32 PM
First, if they're too long, they put pressure on the toes that can get painful. Then as they get WAY too long, they curl under and gradually cause infection... That's if they don't break off first and get all infected that way. Also the longer the nail, the further the quick (i.e. nerve and blood vessels) get into the nail, making them harder to cut without cutting the quick.

It's best to cut your dog's nails very regularly, whether they like it or not. There are ways of desensitizing them a little bit (like using treats or toys as a distraction, or just cutting one or two at every session...)