Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has anyone heard of this product before?

happycats
June 5th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I recently saw an ad on TV for http://www.k9advantix.com/
It looks like a wonderful product for dogs, protects against fleas ticks AND mosquitoes!

Thought I would share,as mosquitoe season is well underway, and I know many were asking about mosquitoe repellant for dogs, this may be a great option:)

(The commercial, is soooooo cute too)

jessi76
June 5th, 2006, 12:30 PM
My vet warned me that although this product is indeed GREAT for dogs, if you have cats that are in close contact w/ your dog, it can be dangerous. It's extremely toxic to cats. obviously, this is only a concern if your dogs & cats are in close contact. (mine are, so I use Frontline instead, although it does not protect against mosquitos)

happycats
June 5th, 2006, 12:35 PM
My vet warned me that although this product is indeed GREAT for dogs, if you have cats that are in close contact w/ your dog, it can be dangerous. It's extremely toxic to cats. obviously, this is only a concern if your dogs & cats are in close contact. (mine are, so I use Frontline instead, although it does not protect against mosquitos)

OMG, thanks for the warning Jessi!!

Melinda
June 5th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Brina is on this, it's really great! umm she's around cats daily, we even go to my sis's where she fosters and raises orphan kittens, she lays with them and the kittens climb all over her...what is it suppose to do to cats/kittens?

jessi76
June 5th, 2006, 01:03 PM
I don't know exactly, sorry. All I know is my vet strongly recommended I do not use it for my dog since I had 2 cats in the house. My vet is very cautious though, probably a bit over-cautious. My trainer, who has dogs & a cat, uses this product, and hasn't had seen any ill-effects. In fact, he mentioned it in class one day, and some students piped up that our vets had given us the warning about the cats, so at least I wasn't the only one who'd heard this.

It probably depends heavily on the dosage and the closeness of the animals. But then again, all of those topical flea/tick/bug repellants are toxic to some degree.

I have heard it works great though!

Prin
June 5th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I saw an animal ER where a cat was given a dog treatment and the cat was in shock and having seizures. It was horrible. Not worth the risk to the kitty, IMO.

hmm.. I'm always suspicious of drugs with absolutely no side effects... Especially pesticides that are strong enough to repel bugs from the blood through the skin.:confused: (according to their website, toxicology studies had no effect...:rolleyes: )

happycats
June 5th, 2006, 02:24 PM
hmm.. I'm always suspicious of drugs with absolutely no side effects... Especially pesticides that are strong enough to repel bugs from the blood through the skin.:confused: (according to their website, toxicology studies had no effect...:rolleyes: )

Awww Prin
And I was considering getting it for myself! Wouldn't it be great to camp, garden, and play mosquitoe free!!:p :)

Prin
June 5th, 2006, 03:01 PM
lol :D No problem. Pesticides only mutate DNA, and I mean, you can't even see DNA anyway. What's the harm?:evil:

happycats
June 5th, 2006, 10:27 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/lol/17.gif