Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats have sensitive skin

austxlk
June 5th, 2006, 10:18 AM
I have 4 cats that seem to be having the same problem. I think it may be fleas. Parts of their bodies have become sensitive enough that when you touch or pet them in one of the areas, they get all weirded out. They start licking themselves and biting (as if biting at fleas). They will even lick and bite me if my hand or arm is close enough. It is obviously some sort of irritation. Other than that, they all act normal. Has gotten to the point where the oldest (10 yrs) is licking herself bald. They seem to not be cleaning themselves as good, but as I said before, do not act sick. I read another post that said cats "overgroom" themselves. We do have fleas that I am trying to get rid of, but could it be that they have fleas so bad that their skin would be that sensitive? And would they would lick and clean themselves to baldness?

I may also try changing their food. Recently went to a cheaper brand. Was feeding them Iams. Can't even remember what the brand is now we are feeding them. Might be Purina Cat Chow. I just know that it is about $20 cheaper for the big bag.

If anyone else has had a similar problem, or might have a suggestion, please let me know.

jessi76
June 5th, 2006, 11:03 AM
If it were me, I'd have the skin irritation checked out by a vet. I agree with putting your cats back on the food they were used to, and continue getting rid of the fleas. However, with 4 cats all suffering from the same skin irritation, it's time to have it checked by a vet, before it worsens.

LM1313
June 5th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Definitely check with the vet . . . If it is fleas, ask the vet what to use to get rid of them. Not all flea products sold off the shelf are safe for animals.