Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

eclampsia?

minipups
June 5th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I have a small min-pin that had pups about seven weeks ago. At about the third week she had all the signs of eclampsia or hypocalcium. I took her to emergency and the vet gave her a subcutaneous shot of calcium and gave me the needles and drugs to continue this at home. I did - no improvement. Three days later i took her back and they gave her an IV. she looked like she was having convulsions after that. they told me to take her home. she was in a much worse state than when i brought her in. three day later i took her to my regular vet who checked her out -took a blood panel and the only abnormality she could find was elevated liver enzymes. But the test showed that her liver was functioning normally. I took my dog home and gave her calcium supplements and continued to feed the puppies by hand to get the demand for milk down. The puppies are weaned now. My dog is stil sick. She can't control her moter impulses. she staggers and falls, sometimes she walks backwards when she wants to go forwards, she falls over and crashes into furniture and her puppies even. Has any body else had experience with this?

LM1313
June 5th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Poor doggie . . . :( I'd take her back to her regular vet and if he can't help get a third opinion from another vet. And when she's feeling better, I'd get her spayed right away!