Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Toy Chihuahua Puppy help

MzPenny
June 4th, 2006, 09:34 PM
My hubby just bought me a toy Chihuahua For a surprise and when he picked him up we were given a thick suggary substance to give the puppy every few hours. My question is How often, how much and how Long do we give him this stuff? I did some looking online but found nothing. I appreciate any help you can give us. He is an unneutered male that was born 2006/04/17:pawprint:

chocolatecoffee
June 4th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Hmmm...I've never heard of that and I couldn't find anything on it. Do you know what it's called or what it's for? Could you call the breeder and ask him/her?

The only thing I could possibly think of is to keep the blood sugar high since he's still pretty young. When did you get your pup? He's a little young to be away from his mom and littermates already. The minimum age a dog should be separated from its mother is 8 weeks; however, smaller breeds, such as Chihuahuas, should probably stay with their mother for closer to 12

Puppyluv
June 4th, 2006, 09:49 PM
How long have you had him for? Where did you get him? breeder? pet store? Do you have any idea what this "sugary substance" is? If it was a reputable breeder, they would have told you everything you need to know, so I'm guessing it wasn't. April 17th... that makes your pup 6 weeks old... that's a little youg to be leaving mom... should be 8 weeks. I'm guessing, and that's all this is, that the sugary substance is to prevent hypoglycemia, and if that's the case, it should be given every 4 hours or so. I would contact a vet though, because this pup is so young.

MzPenny
June 4th, 2006, 10:22 PM
They said it was due to Hypoglycemia because of his age. It was a reputable breeder but when we got him I guess hubby didnt pay enough attention as he was getting late for work...lol. Puppy is all papered and checked and shots up to date but I was a little concerned about the hypoglycemia and that it would be perminant. I know that this is just a precaution due to his age NOW but really wondered how long to give him this and where I can find more.

Thanks for your input I really appreciate it!!!:pawprint:

Puppyluv
June 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
wel you're in luck then. Since it was a reputable breeder, they will be more than happy to answer any of your questions, a lot better than we can (we can really only provide ideas and guesses). Did you not meet the breeder? The purchase of a dog from a breeder is a long process, and involves a lot of meetings etc (I'm sure you know this, from getting your chi). I would look through the papers your breeder gave you, because they should have written something about this. What was the reason the breeder gave you for selling the dog so young? I'm a little suprised a breeder would do this.

LavenderRott
June 4th, 2006, 10:29 PM
If the breeder let a 6 week old puppy leave his/her house - then the breeder is NOT reputable. The time between 6 and 8 weeks is a very important time for a pup to learn valuable lessons from mom and littermates.

Also, no reputable breeder would send you home with some thick sugary substance without instructions on how, when and why to use it.

When you run out, you will find that jam works just as well. I would get that pup to the vet right away however. While I can remember keeping jam onhand for pups when my mom raised poms - we never used it like a supplement or anything. We used it when pups showed the beginning symptoms of hypoglycemia.

chocolatecoffee
June 4th, 2006, 10:33 PM
Unfortunately, no reputable breeder would ever let a puppy go this early, advertise a Chihuahua as a "Toy Chihuahua" (there are to varieties of the Chihuahua - long-haired and short-haired, but no varieties in size), or let one of their puppies be given out so quickly.

I would definitely call the breeder to find out where you can get more, perhaps he'll supply you with some. Another concern is that, since Newf left his littermates and mom so early, he could be extremely fearful. It is imperative that dogs stay with their mothers until at least 8 weeks of age for their development and raising a dog who has not is quite the challenge. You'll have to socialize him an extra amount to absolutely everything and it might be harder to teach him conceps like bite inhibition.

At this age, I would probably also feed him several small meals each day (as opposed to two or three larger meals) to ensure his blood sugar doesn't drop, but keep a close eye on how much he eats as a decrease in appetite can be the first sign that a dog's not feeling well.

Here's things to watch for (from here (http://www.petplace.com/dogs/hypoglycemia-in-dogs/page1.aspx))
What to Watch For

# Loss of appetite
# Extreme lethargy
# Incoordination
# Trembling
# Muscular twitching
# Weakness
# Seizures
# Unusual behavior
# Dilated pupils
# Apparent blindness
# Stupor or coma

MzPenny
June 4th, 2006, 10:53 PM
He is doing quite well actually. Jumping and playing, Eating and going potty quite well. Loves to eat and gets fed several small meals already. verry playfull and cuddly. I had no part in the picking of the dog. My hubby is in Texas working and we got the info from a friend down there that got his puppy from the same lady. They talked on the phone several times. She is regestered with the CKC and gave hubby the application to reg. him with CKC. I am not here to question her ability at all. We all have different opinions about the people do things but that is neither here nor there. This puppy is the picture of health and very playfull with everyone that he has met and came into contact with so far. He is still with hubby in TX and never out of his sight....like a baby...lol. I just cant wait to get him! Hubby is taking him to the vet tomorrow for a quick checkup though to ease my nerves. And I will be talking to my vet here in Canada to hear his opinion as well.

Thanks again!:)

mafiaprincess
June 4th, 2006, 11:28 PM
The actual CKC or the ContKC. Large difference. Likely the latter, since it sounds like a crappy byb, which make the papers worthless.

Prin
June 4th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Why would the breeder be registered with the Canadian Kennel Club if it's from Texas?! Definitely not registered with the right CKC...

I'm sorry Mz Penny, but we get upset at news like yours because we know that puppies are hard work and getting one from a breeder who isn't likely to help you through anything is just going to make it harder for you.:sad:

What is done is done, right? Now you just have to enjoy your puppy.:) I'd say it's best to bring this pup to the vet for a checkup asap, just to be sure everything is ok.:fingerscr

MzPenny
June 5th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Well I guess I shoulda specified which CKC.....ContCK. I really didn't know that here was a bad one.:cool: I will be contacting the breeder in the am to ask her questions. I do KNOW how hard it is to raise a puppy but weather or not the breeder is regestered with the right club if one at all is beside the point. It is up to the owner to figure out how to care for it and help it....which is why I came here...to ask your "Opinion". While I do appreciate it I fell like I am being condemned for having getting this puppy. My hubby was trying to get me the dog I have always wanted and got one from the very breeder that his best friend got his little sweetie from. As I have said before "Newf" is the picture of health and not showing any signs of anything rong. Happy, Playful, Good appetite and plumbing. I just wanted to know how long other Chihuahua owners in this same situation gave their pups this supliment!
*I'll walk away with tail between my knees now* Sorry to have ruffled feathers here!

Prin
June 5th, 2006, 12:27 AM
No, don't go. It's not you or your puppy that we're upset with. It's just the breeder. So many people here either work in animal rescue or have rescue animals, and it just pains us to hear of another not-so-good breeder. Really, it shouldn't have to be that you are alone with your puppy. Breeders are supposed to be there to help you at every step.

But in the absence of that, we're all still here and I'm sure nobody will disagree that your baby is a cutie. :)

Being that he's so young, you're going to have to socialize him to death so that he'll be ok in the future. Missing those crucial weeks with his litter might make him nervous or aggressive around other dogs.:)

greaterdane
June 5th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I am a chihuahau owner of 3. Pups at 6 weeks would definatley be prone to hypoglycemia, but they do not need a sugar substance every few hours. They need regular food and water and you need to watch that they do not become dehydrated. If you are constantly giving him a sugar substance, you are doing alot more harm then good. You could even end up killing your puppy. No breeder would send a puppy home with this without explaining it...espeically if the puppy had to travel a great distance to its new home.

If you do find your pup is becoming dehydrated, please give Pedialyte. Always have some on hand especially since your pup is so young. Chihuahua pups should not leave the breeder until they are 10-12 weeks old, even older if possible. Please monitor your pup and don't give the sugar stuff every hour or whatever the breeder told you. Please research research research. There is tonnes of info on the net, and tonnes of groups to join for info. The last thing you want is to harm this little one without knowing it. The breeder info you have provided leads me to believe she will not be any help with future care. Take your little one to the vet and ask as many questions as possible. Search for a vet that knows quite a bit about tiny breeds. You need info about their little skulls as your little one may still have a gap. Be very careful with him jumping off furniture, and do not leave him without water. 3-4 small meals during the day would be ideal, and find a quality food that is small enough for him to eat. Staying away from soft food is a good idea, because chihuahuas are known for teeth problems when they are older. There is so much more info that you need to know. Please do your research on this breed. If you ever decide to get another, find a reputable breeder with the AKC or CKC (Canadian Kennel Club), or rescue :)

lpn169
June 5th, 2006, 02:34 AM
You got very sound advice here so far. The fact is the advice is very accurate. No one is condemning you for getting this pup. It is true that the breeder should not have let it go so soon, and if it was at risk of chronic hypoglycemia, she should not have let it go to its new home until it was stable, not send a substance and a 'good luck'. We do hope all turns out well with your baby, but a more repuatble breeder is in order if you ever choose to add to your family.

MzPenny
June 5th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Thank you for all your responses. I just contacted the breader and confronted her on ALL issues. She has been breeding for 17 years andhas never had a problem with letting a pup go that early. She had Newf eating dry dog food on his own for 10 days before he was taken from her. He is doing very well. I asked about the "sugar sup." and it is Nutri-Stat. he is to only have it when traveling and when he cannot get 3-4 meals a day in him. She was very forthcomming with all answers and told me to call her back anytime I had a question or concern. I have my mind at reast now. Hubby took him to a vet this morning and he got a clean bill of health. YAAAAAA

Thanks again I REALLY Appreciate it!!! Sorry if I came of as a "B***H lastnight I was a little emotional.:sorry:

HUGZ!
MzPenny:D & Newf:pawprint:

phoenix
June 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM
I just contacted the breader and confronted her on ALL issues. She has been breeding for 17 years andhas never had a problem with letting a pup go that early.

I'm glad you're back and glad that you were able to get some support from the breeder. I guess she's never had a problem with letting pups go at this age though... it's the new owners who would have had all of the problems :rolleyes:

I hope that's not the case with your pup, and the sugar when travelling makes sense to me, i guess.

Prin
June 5th, 2006, 02:44 PM
I'm glad she's helping. The main issue IMO with letting the pups go early is the socialization. He really needs to get out there. Stanely Coren (doggy psychology expert) says that in the first few months after getting a puppy, the dog should go to at least 50 different places and meet 250 different people. (I'd add to that a ton of dogs, because this pup hasn't been around dogs enough). Good luck!