Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ignorant people.. wow

mafiaprincess
June 4th, 2006, 10:16 PM
So I took Cider rollerblading. Sadly the first time we went went better than the second time.
She has to be on a prong for fear of her getting us killed.. And I feel bad. But the first time she responded so well it was almost un needed..

This time? Could people be bigger *beeeeeep*s?
Gee your dog is on a flexi, I'm on blades with my dog in to my body... why not let your dog out? Great idea.. As I nearly wipeout on your dog.....
Lets let rover say hello.. So Cider while running brakes to a stop gets the prongs hard in the neck, hits her head on some *beeeeeep*s legs cause she has to keep moving..

I stop because a lady had her pit puppy in the middle of the path. Unmuzzled.. and so young I don't think it's even potentially legal right now.... Lets the dog wrap my legs, it goes to bolt.. Only time in my life I've fallen on blades. What a *beeeeep*.

Try to go home.. Boardwalk is 4 ppl wide. I say I'm passing to the left or a huge family taking up almost the entire walk way, I get beside them man steps right in front of me. And freaking laughs.....

I wanted to blow an airhorn behind his head....

Even little old ladies.. I try to be respectful, take up one person width on the path, dog on the grass out of peoples way.. and they won't move out of the oncoming traffic on a busy trail..

This is why society sucks. People have no freaking manners.

I try so hard not to be a nuisance... but when everyone else's dogs are monsters Cider has a hard time listening. She 'leaves it' except when you let your dog out so far it can touch my feet as I go by...
Frig I'm so mad..

LavenderRott
June 4th, 2006, 10:27 PM
OMG!!

I so know how you feel!

I have spent the last two days telling these two kids to stop climbing the tree right outside my bedroom window! I live in an apartment and climbing that particular tree gives you a clear shot into my window. Since the only way you can see into my bedroom window IS to climb that particular tree - I often change my shirt, get dressed after a shower, etc. with the shades open to let the natural light in. I really hate the high electric bills and use the open windows to light my house as much as humanly possible.

mummummum
June 4th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Yup. Here - I found this for you :
http://bestsmileys.com/angry1/5.gif

Personally - I'd like a mood-sensitive, holographic, live-action T-shirt for encounters with those "Special" people. They are part of the reason why I don't go to certain areas any longer. It's like the whole planet is filling up with people who have absolutely no concept that anyone else's needs exist beyond theirs - a city of half-sociopath/ half-imbecilic me-junkies.

Puppyluv
June 4th, 2006, 10:39 PM
hmm yes, I just looooove it when I am walking on a sidewalk, see some oncoming people, so I move Layla's leash so that she is walking directly behind me, we are taking up the minimum amount of space, and the oncoming people walk in a group of 3-4 people across, and refuse to move. Then we bump elbows and they give me ****.
What else do I love? Oh, I know, the time last week, when I was running before work with Layla (first run since the accident!! :D) and this little dog started to follow us. I stoped and told it to go home, looked around didn't see anyone at all, let alone an owner. Didn't hear anyone calling. I started to run again and the dog didn't follow, so I thought I was clear, then about 5 min (1km) later, the dog was right by my side again. Yeesh... stopped, told it to go home, and pointed, (normally I let layla off leash, but because of this dog, I kept her on it, so that she wouldn't entice the dog to follow). The dog kept following us, and I didn't have time to back track, so I kept running, and when it became obvious that this dog was not going to be leaving us (I should mention that it was incessently harassing Layla, nipping at her, yapping like crazy.. it was a small, overweight beagle) I decided I would just make sure I kept an eye on him and since I do a circle route, hopefully when I got back to where he first met us, the owner would be there. He followed us for the middle 8 km of our run, when I got back to where he had first met us, the owner was there and she spazzed at me, yelling about how I should have stopped and waited for her (oh, where was she when the dog started following us? she had gone to the bathroom, and decided not to bring the dog with her, or tie him up, because "a responsible passerbyer would have waited the 15 minutes it took her to walk home (no, she didn;t go to a public washroom, she walked a block to get home and go up to her appartment, but her dog "stays so well, she knew he would be fine".) I explined to her that 1) the area we were in is not offleash, and if she wants to be completely sure about the dog being fine off leash, to go to an OL park. 2) I stopped and looked for an owner several times, told the dog to go home, called for someone, but no one responded 3) I had to get to work and I didn't have time to add an extra 4 km to my run, and if I had never found an owner, I would have brought him home with me, not abandon him. 4) DO NOT ABANDON YOUR DOG BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO PEE!!!
Arrghh

Sorry Mafiaprincess for threadjacking.:o

mafiaprincess
June 4th, 2006, 11:07 PM
NP thread jack away. Glad to see that we all think society is going to hell in a handbasket. People really suck eh?

LavenderRott
June 4th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Well, since we are thread jacking....

The city that I live in has a leash law and so does the apartment complex that I live in. Apparently, this only applies to certain people.

I have lived here for over a year and have complained several times about a man that has an American Eskimo. He seems to think that it is alright for him to stand on the second floor landing while his dog wanders around on the grass and takes care of business.

When I complained last month, the apartment manager said that she was tired of dealing with this guy and she was going to give him 30 days notice. Well, I have seen the dog out several times in the last couple of days. Again, owner standing on the landing but now the dog is dragging a leash behind her! I guess having a leash attached to the collar is all that this guy thinks is needed to obey the leash law!!

glasslass
June 4th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Ok, I have to confess! Several years ago hubby and I were antique hunting in an older, historical community where they still have the raised wooden sidewalks outside the stores. Two 8-10yr old boys were chasing each other wildly down the sidewalk nearly knocking people out of the way. As they ran past yelling at us to get out of the way, something came over me :crazy: and I stuck my foot out and tripped one. He went sprawling! As he glared at me in disbelief, I rushed over to him and helped him up, all the while asking him if he was ok, etc. :angel: I really didn't think. I would have felt terrible if he had been hurt. But, I can't help thinking maybe he learned something about careening past older people! :fingerscr

Puppyluv
June 4th, 2006, 11:59 PM
lol Glasslass, that's the sort of thing I do all the time.. curse me not thinking about what COULD actually happen! So far I've always been lucky that nothing serious comes of it, but still, it's always scary for those couple of minutes right after.

glasslass
June 5th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Yeah, and I have to admit, it's provided many a chuckle since when we've looked back on it. I guess I could have spent the rest of the day irritated and grumpy, but instead, we were giggling like school kids the rest of the afternoon.

Prin
June 5th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Well, I was on the opposite end of all that today.. Me and my Jemma were walking on one side of a bike path (there's nowhere else to walk), and the bikes were blazing by cutting so close to us when we were doing our best to stick to the side. I was waiting to get clipped by some punk's handlebars. :mad:

At least you yelled that you were coming!

As for the peepers, LavenderRott, I'd get a hose, hook it up to the shower and let it rip out the window.:evil:

rainbow
June 5th, 2006, 01:16 AM
As for the peepers, LavenderRott, I'd get a hose, hook it up to the shower and let it rip out the window.

Hey, that's good. :D Or, you could get some binoculars http://bestsmileys.com/peeping/4.gif and make it obvious that you're watching them. :eek:

dtbmnec
June 5th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Well, since we are thread jacking....

The city that I live in has a leash law and so does the apartment complex that I live in. Apparently, this only applies to certain people.

I have lived here for over a year and have complained several times about a man that has an American Eskimo. He seems to think that it is alright for him to stand on the second floor landing while his dog wanders around on the grass and takes care of business.

When I complained last month, the apartment manager said that she was tired of dealing with this guy and she was going to give him 30 days notice. Well, I have seen the dog out several times in the last couple of days. Again, owner standing on the landing but now the dog is dragging a leash behind her! I guess having a leash attached to the collar is all that this guy thinks is needed to obey the leash law!!

Up in Ottawa my parents and I were walking along a pathway and we saw a dog walking beside its owner but the owner didn't have hold of the leash but the leash was attached to the dog. You could tell that the dog really really wanted to go exploring but it actually stayed beside the owner. I was quite impressed. :)

I do understand your point though....just thought I'd share a good anecdote in a pissed off thread (I do this....go figure)

Megan

Lissa
June 5th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yikes that's awful MP! I think you should carry a foghorn to let people know that you are coming and they need to move aside!:D

Or you could always stop taking a shower, spike your hair and talk to yourself (put some "foam substance" around Cider's mouth for a better effect) - then people might be glad to give you a wide bearth:crazy:

mafiaprincess
June 5th, 2006, 01:51 PM
HAHAHA. Cute Lissa.

I'm torn between getting an airhorn and carrying a freaking baseball bat. :rolleyes:

Or hey.. I could totally goth myself up in leather and the works and take Cider blading. People might give me a wide berth for that too. HAHA

This is the only activity I have found that tires her out. She may actually not be a fool at agility tonight because she's still in bed...

AshleyMic
June 5th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Well I know how Prin feels. Last night Dale and I were having a great time at the park. Off in the distance I saw a guy coming towards us on rollerblades. I moved off to the side so that we were off the path and on the grass. This guy continues to come at a very high speed and instead of going to the other side of the path he stays on the side we are on. Well I think the guy learned his lesson, Dale doesn't like it when Men with wheels for feet come flying at him and his mom so when the guy passed us Dale jumped at him barking and freaking out. Lukcily I had a good hold on his leash so nothing actually happened. I was quite surprised as he has never done anything like this before, however I was not angry with him because the guy on the blades deserved it for acting like he owned the whole pathway. The look on the guy's face was priceless and after he had passed I gave Dale a treat. :)
Dales Mom

mafiaprincess
June 5th, 2006, 03:22 PM
He did deserve it..

But due to other people being jerks.. I then get no respect no matter how hard I try to stay out of people's way as much as possible, and that sucks.

AshleyMic
June 5th, 2006, 04:05 PM
I understand how you feel Mafiaprincess, I think it is very unfair that you have to deal with so much crap when you are simply trying to have some fun with your pup. If I was in your position I would get really angry as well, One time Dale and I were walking on the sidewalk and there was a group of people walking towards us but none of them moved so that we had even a little space. Well I dont know what they expected but I wasn't about to walk on the road with my furbaby just so they could continue being jerks so we held our ground and pushed our way pass them. Then one of them had the nerve to say "sidewalks are for people, not dogs" I immediately turned around and said " well it's a shame that more people cant have the manners my dog has, if they did we could all use the sidewalk with no problems"
They didn't have anything to say to that.
Unfortunately people can be real jerks, which is why I would rather hang out with Dale:)
hope your next rollerblading trip goes better:0

mafiaprincess
June 5th, 2006, 04:28 PM
That rocks. That's just it. My dog has better manners than many people's kids.. But tempting her by tellign your dog to go see mine while I'm on blades is idiotic.. And not making some move to attempt to share the path by anyone for anyone is ignorant as heck..

When I was in university many articles were written in the paper abotu the disregard of manners. Like people having to tell others to give up their seat on the bus for a very pregnant woman. Not taking off backpacks so people were getting hit with them..

Seems the lack of manners in society as a whole gets worse.. and it made trying to excercise some a nightmare. Doubt it was as much fun for Cider as I would have liked. And that really sucks.

I hope the next time will go better, but it really has me down..

Beau'sMom
June 7th, 2006, 10:18 AM
This sounds like a universal problem :mad: I haven't had too many bad experiences with people, as they tend to give my dog a wide berth even though I hold him by the collar when passing people. What amazes me are the parents who allow their small child to race towards my dog to pet him :eek: He is a big dog, and although very friendly and loves children they don't know that ... don't they worry about their child? I teach the kids if they approach Beau how to introduce themselves to the dog, and to always ask the owner first before approaching. Just in case. :pawprint: It annoys me to no end because if something was to happen, it would be my fault, my dogs fault, but not the parents. :sad: :mad: :mad:

mesaana
June 7th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I agree, Beau's Mom. That's one thing that drives me nuts! It happened not long ago and I stopped the 2 little girls in their tracks, explained to them why they should always ask permission to touch a strange dog and, when they were petting my dog, I gave the mother a piece of my mind!!! She looked so stunned, it was unbelievable. All she was able to say was "sorry".

Frenchy
June 7th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Happen to me too.2 weeks ago I went to a new vet with Sam.The office and waiting area is sooo small,as soon as I came in with my dog,a young labrador (very cute) was trying to jump all over us,he was at the end of his leash and the man let him sniff and go anywhere.Lucky for them I was with Sam,if it had been Daisy....let's just say she doesn't tolerate dogs she doesn't know in her "bubble" (same as her mommy with people!!) People thinks because my dogs are goldens,they accept everything....:mad:

mafiaprincess
June 7th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Had a kid hop off her bike while blading.. She did the polite thing and asked..
Got a snotty attitude with me when I told her she's skittish and doesn't usually let strangers touch her, plus I'm trying to get her to excercise with me right that moment..

I often have people try to touch her and then tell me off when she runs from them..

HunterXHunter
June 7th, 2006, 01:56 PM
One time Dale and I were walking on the sidewalk and there was a group of people walking towards us but none of them moved so that we had even a little space. Well I dont know what they expected but I wasn't about to walk on the road with my furbaby just so they could continue being jerks so we held our ground and pushed our way pass them. Then one of them had the nerve to say "sidewalks are for people, not dogs" I immediately turned around and said " well it's a shame that more people cant have the manners my dog has, if they did we could all use the sidewalk with no problems"

I hear you on that one. But I think this is where being a guy helps. I'm a pretty big guy I would say (6', 165lb) and when I'm out with Hunter for walks and people are walking towards us I move to the right side of the sidewalk, but Hunter is now on the grass. Most of the time the people move (and it shouldn't matter whether the other person is walking a dog or not, it's common courtesy to walk on the right anyway), but when they don't I just bump them with my shoulder and give them a look that says "What!? You want to start some ***** right here?" Plus Hunter's a big dog and even though he usually just stares the other person with his goofy smile, it's still pretty intimidating. But in general, I don't get too many of those :cool:

This thread reminded me of last summer when I broke my ankle. I was on crutches and was taking the bus. One time, the bus driver had to yell at the people on the bus before one of them (reluctlantly) gave up his seat for me. Another time, I stood there for about 20 sec. and then a senior citizen stood up to give me her seat, and as soon as she did, this other lady just swooped in and took the seat :eek: (but gave it back up when everyone on the bus was telling her that seat was meant for me).

AshleyMic
June 7th, 2006, 02:13 PM
That happens to us all the time. We frequent a park that has a lot of dogs and a lot of kids. dale is great and minds his own business but too often kids will just come running up to us, seriosuly what kind of parent thinks its alright for their child to runup to strange dogs??
Oh and one day this guy came right up to us and tried to pat Dale on his head, first off dale does not like strange men, second of all he is very uneasy with people he does not know petting him (he is never aggressive just skittish). Anyway Dale backed away and went behind me, which was expected. So the guy calls my dog a snob and walks off. I was so angry, if the guy had done the polite thing and asked if he could touch my dog I would have told him Dale isn't good with strangers but instead he just assumed that petting Dale would be fine.
Grrr to stupidity

dtbmnec
June 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM
HAHAHA. Cute Lissa.

I'm torn between getting an airhorn and carrying a freaking baseball bat. :rolleyes:

Go with the baseball bat! The baseball bat!:D

lol

Hunter: My mother does the same thing on the sidewalk (though she is significantly smaler than you!). She won't budge an inch, especially when its 15 year olds who should know better! She'll even say "ow" if they bump into her and if they look at her like she's on crack she gives them an earful! She always taught me to walk to the side, ask to pet a strange dog, give up my seat for the elderly/disabled/pregnant/injured/etc. Most of my friends were brought up the same but some of them have looked at me funny when I'll give my seat up. That stopped since they got used to it but still. The only time I'm not gonna give up my seat is if I am totally and completely exhausted or I'm hurting (which is very very rare so it almost never happens). I have had a few elderly people tell me I could keep my seat though.

Dad's sometime bad about the whole asking to pet thing, but for the most part he's not that bad. I mean if the dog is happily running to him (we have had idiot owners who allow this) and seems fine and is all licking and smelling kinda thing then he'll give a pat or two. Of course that's more of the dog's owner's issue than ours. I know he won't actually see a dog tied up and then pat them that's for sure.

My brother hates dogs. I mean he won't hurt them or whatever but if a fairly large dog comes up to him he'll get scared (though he won't admit to it). As a child, an idiot owner pretty much ruined dogs for him. We lived in a small area and there was a pathway that went between a few houses. Well the one house didn't have fenced in yard and had this huge huge dog. Well the owners let him out and went out gardening but didn't pay attention to where the dog was. The dog had wandered onto the public pathway, spotted my brother and my mother walking along it. The dog apparently didn't like people and started growling and had his hackles raised and everything and started lunging towards my brother (who was about 4 at the time) and continued to do so for about ten minutes. My mother of course put herself in front of him between the dog and my brother, called out to the owner and asked what was going on and to call her dog off. The owner leisurely called the dog and sorta seemed as if her gardening was being put out by calling her dog! Manners would have indicated that she wouldn't have let her dog ONTO the public walkway, let alone calling her dog off immediately!

Megan

SarahLynn123
June 7th, 2006, 04:34 PM
For us the sidewalk has never been an issue. We live in an area where many people were raised to fear dogs, so whenever I see someone coming, I move my dogs as far away as possible. Even still there was this one guy that seen us coming and as we passed him he cowered against the fence with his arms over is head (he acted like I threw something at him!) We were at least 7m away from him (as close to the road as possible). I felt bad for the poor guy.

In other parts of the city though, I will walk on the sidewalk with my dog on the grass. We have never been bothered though, something about facing a GSD makes people a little more polite!

This incident shocked me though: Shadow was in the vet for the morning having tests done and when we picked her up she was so happy and excited, so my bf and I were talking to her "good girl Shadow blah blah blah" Well this young boy ran up behind her, threw his arms around her and was hugging her while practically laying on her! He was saying "I love you Shadow, etc" He was a little bit mentally delayed but his parents were there and they thought it was so cute! Shadow loves kids and ate this up, but what if she didn't? She is 70lbs and the kid ws probably 6ish.

shelly75
June 11th, 2006, 12:55 PM
This thread reminded me of last summer when I broke my ankle. I was on crutches and was taking the bus. One time, the bus driver had to yell at the people on the bus before one of them (reluctlantly) gave up his seat for me. Another time, I stood there for about 20 sec. and then a senior citizen stood up to give me her seat, and as soon as she did, this other lady just swooped in and took the seat :eek: (but gave it back up when everyone on the bus was telling her that seat was meant for me).

I am originally from Toronto too and that reminded me of when I wa pregnant with my dd and no one with give me a seat on the Spadina streetcar and I said in a vey loud voice "boy your moms would be so proud to know not one of you will give up a seat for a pregnant person" I am pretty sure the whole streetcare rose at that and the driver just laughed.

jesse's mommy
June 11th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Good for you. Sounds like something that would come out of my mouth. :rolleyes: