Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello! I'm new here!

NorwichMom
June 4th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Hello everyone.
I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Barb Huffman and I have 2 Norwich Terriers. My boy is Nigel (8) and my girl is Divot (8). They are sweet, and charming dogs and my husband and I adore them! Last year we moved to Sedona, AZ from the midwest and we love it here. Pets are welcome in most places and we enjoy taking Nigel and Divot everywhere. Taking them out for a day of hiking or shopping has been a great way to meet people because the presence of a dog seems to bring down any walls that people might put up.
I am studying holistic care for dogs and I am active in our breed educating people about the breed, and also trying to educate them on the dangers of puppy mills and back yard breeders.
I hope to learn from the discussions here and I hope that I can be of help to others too.
Sincerely,
Barb Huffman

glasslass
June 5th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Welcome, Barb! We love picture! It's a requirement for all newbys!;)

gomez
June 5th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Welcome from Gomez the Norfolk as well!!

BMDLuver
June 5th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Welcome Barb! You live in one of the most beautiful spots we have ever had the pleasure of visiting!

NorwichMom
June 5th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Thank you all for such a warm, kind welcome! Dog people are just the best!

Barb

gomez
June 6th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Barb, how do the doggies deal with the heat? Do you keep them stripped year round?

We have been thinking of warmer climes, but are worried about Gomez and his thick coat...

It's just getting warm here and he just had his first full strip last month and he looks like a new puppy again!

NorwichMom
June 6th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Hi!
When in the high desert, you improvise! I work at home so I have a great schedule. In the summer, I get up early (by 5:00 AM) and have a cup of coffee and then I get Nigel and Divot out to walk. They get about 45 minutes to an hour during this, the coolest part of the day. Then throughout the early part of the day we can be outside on the back patio until the sun comes around. If you stay in the shade, it's actually quite pleasant because there's always a breeze. Once the sun comes to the back of the house, we stay inside or go to the front courtyard. Once the sun goes down, it cools off again and most nights they get a little jaunt through the neighborhood. At this higher altitude, it's only hot for 4 months out of the year and the rest is very comfortable! In the winter months, we can sleep in a little and walk later in the day.
Yep, I do try to keep them stripped down with regular weekly sessions, but just about every spring, I wind up stripping them right down to their undies :)
Divot being a B&T gets much hotter than Nigel does.
Do you handstrip Gomez or do you have a professional groomer do it?

Barb

gomez
June 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM
We take Gomez to a professional - she does hand stripping and did a great job - she works mostly with show dogs, but knows our breeder and has taken on a new client!

He also got stipped to his undies! I will post pics this weekend of before and after - he really did look like a puppy again! Now it's starting to come back...

He does get a good brushing every 2-3 days and that keeps his coat well...

It just started getting warm here, but it never really gets over 80-85, problem is it's so humid all the time... We also do early morning walks and he spends most of the day on the cool kitchen tiles!

What is a B&T?

NorwichMom
June 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM
A B&T is short for Black and Tan. :)

Puppyluv
June 8th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Norwich mom, your dogs are beautiful!!!! Absolutely adorable :D

Your city is beautiful too, my mom just got back from a golf trip there and the photos are breathtaking!
It's so nice to have a new member with so much knowledge and experience join!:thumbs up

gomez
June 9th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Aha... Gomez's mom was a B&T - she is Coco's sister, so little Gomez is a champion of sorts, especially to us!!

Love the pictures, they look like Gomez when his ears blow up with the wind!

NorwichMom
June 9th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Hey Puppyluv,
Thanks for your kind words about my beloved Nigel and Divot and of course, my beloved Sedona too. It really is a natural work of art!

Gomez,
Yes, they are all champions! And what the heck, it's kind of fun to be related to a celebrity! :)
Nigel's great grandfather is CH. Willum the Conquerer, BIS at Westminster!