Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need advice! Took in a pregnant stray cat.

pxxiegirl
June 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Hi. I hope you offer some advice. I took in a very pregnant stray yesterday. She was abandoned by owners who moved a week ago and left her in the yard. We're in AZ and the temps are in the 100's so I gave her my guest suite equipped with her own litter box and an empty closet.

We will keep her if she gets along with the rest of the cats. She was an indoor/outdoor cat who did live with a boy cat.

My issue is that I have 4 resident cats (all current on vaccs). The new cat (Veruca) got out for a minute, saw two of my cats and there was a confrontation. Veruca was the instigator. No fighting, just hissing and puffy fur. She is back in the room now. Should I work on introductions gradually or just plan on keeping her isolated until she delivers and weans? These cats eventually will have to get used to each other but is now the right time? I've never seen a PG cat, but I'm guessing she's 10-20 days away from delivery. Her nipples are huge, she's clumsy and is walking funny.

Any and all advice is welcome. I've never cared for a pg cat or kittens so I need help with that too, but my biggest concern is what to do about the isolation. She wants to escape the room so badly and she is so sweet to the humans here so we'd love to be able to give her more TLC but is it too stressful of a time to acclaimate the cats?

cpietra16
June 4th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I have never had a pregnant cat but I don't think this is the time to make any intros...I wouldn't let any cats near the babies once they arrive either. The pregnant cat is under enough stress. if you can give her room and let her stay by herself that would be great.

Lucky Rescue
June 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM
First, how very nice of you to take this girl in!

I have advice but you might not like it. Have her spayed/aborted now, if possible. There are millions of kittens being born and many thousands on Petfinder looking for homes, but there are not enough homes. If these kittens end up at a shelter, or dumped or allowed to breed by the people who take them, it's not doing them a favour to allow them to be born.:(

What will you do if she has 6 kittens and you can't find responsible, lifetime homes with people who will make sure the kittens are spayed/neutered? Are you prepared to keep them? If you want to allow the kittens to be born, you must make sure you ask an adoption fee, use an adoption contract, and get them s/n before they leave. This is the only responsible way to adopt out kittens and the adoption fee will offset the cost of s/n.

Anyway, as for your other cats..if there was no fighting, that's great! :)

From the sounds of it, she may have her kittens VERY soon, so if you're going to allow her to have them, isolate her now. All cats are different, and she may be VERY defensive about her babies and you may have to keep them isolated until the kittens leave. Some cats will allow other cats they know around their babies by the time they're weaned. No way of knowing in advance.

Please be aware that mom can get pregnant again a few weeks after giving birth, so make sure you don't let her out, even for 10 minutes before having her spayed, which you can do as soon as her milk dries up.

THANK YOU for taking this poor girl in!!:thumbs up

pxxiegirl
June 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
I will definately get her spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned. I thought a lot about the kittens and whether or not to abort them. I want to keep the unwanted pet population down too and I've had 2 of my cats aborted and spayed when I fist took them in. Because she is so far along (I can feel the kittens) it's hard to make this decision this time. Is it okay to do this close to delivery?

If I don't do it, I have made a committment to find good homes for the kittens. We are up for keeping 1 if we need to. If I have too hard a time finding good homes, I will pay the surrender fees to a no-kill shelter. Or is it better to adopt them out myself? We'll keep them as long as we need too and get them fixed if we need too. I pray she has a small litter though. It's not about the money, I just know it's hard to place cats in good homes. In Az I only condone indoor fixed cats.

I'll keep her in the room. I just feel so bad for her being lonely in there. She seems so socialized to humans. When I visit her she doesn't want me to leave or wants to follow me. If she does have the kittens, I want them born in that room to be protected from the other cats so I guess we should leave her confined until she weans them and we find them homes.

Thanks for the advice.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I agree with Lucky. See if there is a vet willing to have the kittens aborted. This way, momma cat has a better chance of finding a home.

It's very good of you to have taken her in. Congrats on your decision to help control the stray population. :thumbs up

phoenix
June 4th, 2006, 09:10 PM
You are so responsible, you are a breath of fresh air!!

I know that I couldn't have the kits aborted at this stage, it is a personal choice, up to you... I wonder if she isn't closer than 10 to 20 days as you said, due to your description. I am glad that you will take responsibility for whatever happens, :highfive:

pxxiegirl
June 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM
I'm starting to wonder that too. She has to lay down after walking just a short time. She is also very clumsy. And she looks bigger everytime I see her! She is eating still. I don't know what her normal behavior is because I just got her yesterday. Do you know what kind of symtoms I should look for?

Feral_cats
June 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM
i would of also said have her spayed and abort the kittens. working at a shelter i see how many unwanted cats we have and our high population of unwanted kittens , but since you are planing on letting her have them i have some things to say , she will possibly stop eating for a couple days before she gives birth . give her a birthing box . but if you are still looking for a way of isolating her i would have to say a rabbit cage (one of the 4 foot ones ) . she could become protective of her babies and if one of your cats where to go in there you could have a problem . also you dont know if the cat has FIV so i would keep her away from all your animals even if she is lonley untill she has been vaccinated and been tested . but i am very glad you took her in!! i hope my advise can help and i hope i answerd most of your questions . if you want anything further just PM me

pxxiegirl
June 5th, 2006, 05:42 PM
i would of also said have her spayed and abort the kittens. working at a shelter i see how many unwanted cats we have and our high population of unwanted kittens , but since you are planing on letting her have them i have some things to say , she will possibly stop eating for a couple days before she gives birth . give her a birthing box . but if you are still looking for a way of isolating her i would have to say a rabbit cage (one of the 4 foot ones ) . she could become protective of her babies and if one of your cats where to go in there you could have a problem . also you dont know if the cat has FIV so i would keep her away from all your animals even if she is lonley untill she has been vaccinated and been tested . but i am very glad you took her in!! i hope my advise can help and i hope i answerd most of your questions . if you want anything further just PM me

My vets office will do an abortion at any time but they charge an extra 100 - 200 dollars!!!!!!! The non-pregnant spay costs about $200. It is definaelty cheaper to have the kittens and surrender them to the Humane Society if I can't find them homes. I know we have too many kittens in this world but these would have a chance at least. I will get the kittens fixed myself (It's still cheaper at a clinic than to get the mom spayed now - I'm guessing on 3 or 4 kittens) and I'm willing to keep 1 and the mom. She is staying up in the guest suite by herself. She has an empty closet all set up for her to deliver. Poor girl wants to come out so badly! But, I know she needs to stay isolated from now until the kittens are weaned.

I am on way way to call Petco to see if they charge a reasonable amount to do a spay/abortion.

catsnatcher-CDN
June 5th, 2006, 05:47 PM
My stray had 6 kittens.
Neutering her cost me $120
Each kitten cost me $100 (at a bargained price)

Total: $720.00 plus taxes.

Also, feeding the kittens cost me $20.00 a day for 5 weeks for kitten food because momma cat refused to feed them.

Had I known.... I would've opted for the abortion.

Something to think about.

erykah1310
June 5th, 2006, 05:54 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/signs1/17.gif I have to agree, raising kittens is expensive too, by the time you factor in, formula( if need be), kitten food, proper nutrition for a nursing mother, extra litter used, vet checks and so on, its prolly "cheaper" to have them aborted.

However I understand your moral dilema, I just hope that regardless what disicion you make , you do take the time to ensure the kittens will have wonderful forever homes. And will be spayed/ neutered. And once again thank you so much for taking momma in. Momma cat has sure found her guardian http://bestsmileys.com/angles/12.gif

Lucky Rescue
June 5th, 2006, 06:19 PM
It is definaelty cheaper to have the kittens and surrender them to the Humane Society if I can't find them homes.

It may seem that way, but shelters charge a surrender fee and they may sit there in cages for a very long time waiting for homes, since they are only 2 or 3 more among thousands of abandoned kittens.

Also, think about how you're going to feel leaving the babies that you raised and watched grow in cages at a shelter - frightened and not understanding why they are there and watching you walk away. Personally, I couldn't do it. You'll be amazed at how attached you will be to these kittens.

It's an awful dilemma, and I feel for you since you're trying to do the right thing when this cat's owners didn't give a damn what happened to her.

IF you let the birth occur, I suggest you contact cat rescues in your area for help in placing them. They can list them on Petfinder and allow you to bring them to adoption events too.

Good luck and please let us know how things are going!

pxxiegirl
June 5th, 2006, 07:38 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/signs1/17.gif I have to agree, raising kittens is expensive too, by the time you factor in, formula( if need be), kitten food, proper nutrition for a nursing mother, extra litter used, vet checks and so on, its prolly "cheaper" to have them aborted.

However I understand your moral dilema, I just hope that regardless what disicion you make , you do take the time to ensure the kittens will have wonderful forever homes. And will be spayed/ neutered. http://bestsmileys.com/angles/12.gif

I will definately do that IF we have them!

PetFriendly
June 5th, 2006, 07:56 PM
When I introuced my cat to my oom-mates cat, we alternated which cat had run of the house. Now i know that you have 4 to contain, but if you can, then the new lady can run around.

ellendar
October 7th, 2007, 04:51 PM
you should feed her kitten chow or other high protein food, a good recipe is three Tablespoons of nutritional Yeast, half a teaspoon of olive oil
two scrambled cooled eggs, diced or cooked mashed carrots a quarter cup a can of salmon or other fishy cat food, one tablesppon of dried baby formula - she needs calcium any 100% cooked meat except bologna or luncheon high sodium content meats, acceptable kinds are steamed chicken, baked porck chops lean burger d cooked and crumbled , if using such leftover meats be sure and cut into chunks and mix it in the blender to make it the consistency of cat food add this to the rest of the mixture maybe add three tablespons of peas and a quarter cup of cooked oats no more and mix this up good and put in a covered zip lock container in the frig and feed this daily about a cup and also supplement with dry kitten chow as well and lots and lots of water make her a big box with an old sofa cusion covered with sheets or other clean rags and tape up this box and cut a hole in it that she can enter as she needs a dark place to birth in
show it to her she won't really be interested in it until her kittens come but let her know where it is put it in a private out of the way where there is not a lot of house traffic so she feels her kittens are unnoticed and safe and put food inside for her just in the front after she births and if you can buy kitten formula from the pet store feed her this after she births as it will help her bring in plenty of milk for the babies she will do the rest on her own
be sure and handle the kittens often to socialize them with clean hands and pet her a lot she needs a bond with you
healthy kittens are your and her goal
good luck

ellendar
October 7th, 2007, 07:14 PM
The best thing to do is keep the Mother , care for her nurture the kittens socialize them and then if you must take them to a pet shop you will have to get on a waiting list some pet shops are owned by veterinarians the kittens will be well cared for and people who buy cats want them and more likely will care properly for them
The next best solution is check with the veterinarians to get her spayed while she is pregnant then if you don't want her as a indoor pet build or give her an outdoor shelter that is warm and dry and feed her as an outside pet allowing her in in order to keep her socialized occasionally, she will make a good friend even if she is not your pet
the mother will not get placed from a shelter as people want kittens they can bond to from a yung age so you really need to think what is best for her once she is spayed you can advertise for a home in the paper for her farmers often need cats for their farms and supplementally feed them while they are not pets they are usually cared for humanely, these are options but do it now the kittens are far better off aborted than abandoned, drowned or contributing to the overpopuylation , it is unfortunate. Try these solutions or else keep the Mom cat and spay her after the kittens are weaned don't let her roam frely until after she is spayed even if she must be housed in a large cage or dog kennel meanwhile in your garage or on the porch.
Currently I am trying to start a committeee in my community to deal with all cats in the community, pets, abandoned and feral.
Good Luck

ellendar
October 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
In our area the next county over has a shelter run and managed by a veterinarian, spay and neuter there is two days a week,I just neutered three male kittens and spayed one female these kittens were born in my basement by a wild cat who came to our house for supper as the guest of our neutered male I am attempting to trap that mom cat now today the landlady of the house next door dropped ff three two week old kittens I must feed with a syringe and bottle and rub their bottoms so they can eliminate, My husband offered to drown them but I know he won't he's just giving me a hard time. I am preparing soon for knee replacement surgery and will have to find a kitten sitter or foster Mother for these while I am laid up and in the hospital so call the shelter see if they have a shelter vet who can spay the cat while she is pregnant and then make an outdoor house for the cat and feed it near its sheltewr give it care and then you can live with yourself easier it will be easier to place the kittens through a pet store people do like kittens and farmers like spayed female cats for their barns
otherwise commit to the mom cat at least she could be a great companion

ellendar
October 7th, 2007, 07:33 PM
it has been my experience that most shelters don't take the feral cats try the shelter vet first to get her fixed if she is extremely close to deliver you can't it won't happen you just won't

Winston
October 7th, 2007, 09:15 PM
What a moral dilemma? But I honestly I think momma cat is too far along for me to opt for an abortion?? I guess what I am saying is that if I took her on I guess I would have to take on the baggage too!..if that means kitties? I would have to be responsible and enusre that I dealt with momma and her kitties....Its a tough choice but I agree with the others that you need to keep her isolated until after the kittens are weaned...Just spend some time with her until she is vet checked...if she has FIV than it could be dangerous for your other cats...Good Luck..do lots of reading..from what I have heard it is really a bit of work.

Best of Luck

Cindy

sugarcatmom
October 7th, 2007, 10:16 PM
This thread is from over a year ago and the OP hasn't posted since then.

Winston
October 8th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Good eye Sugarcatmom! Boy do I need glasses!

Cindy

ellendar
October 15th, 2007, 06:44 PM
unless you know she has no fiv or anything contagious keep her isolated until you know use a larger dog crate or build her a shelter