Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How Do I Prepare this Liver??

Copper'sMom
June 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM
I bought Copper and Zoe some beef liver and Chicken gizzards and hearts today. They ate the gizzards and hearts raw, but if they don't like the liver raw, how should I prepare it??

Copper LOVED the gizzards and hearts. Zoe wasn't too sure at first. She picked them off the plate, dropped them on the ground and went back to the plate. She would chew a little and spit it out. So I used tongs and picked them up[ and put them on the plate. Then she took them again and started chewing a little more and then ate it! I think she swallowed a couple whole though. After that, she then ate them! I think she has to get used to the texture - as she scooped a fallen mushroom the other night and wasn't too sure of it either.

I am introducing RAW slowly. I want to find out what they like best and how their tummy reacts to it. I'll be doing alot of poop inspecting! I'll cut back the kibble and feed more raw, but I think I might always have some kibble just in case.

glasslass
June 4th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Ummmm! I like mine pan-fried with bacon and onions! Served with mashed potatoes!:D

technodoll
June 4th, 2006, 05:43 PM
now that is the million-dollar question, LOL! neither of my dogs will eat raw liver even if seared, frozen, semi-frozen, etc. must be the texture because if i bake it, they will flip over backwards and take out the garbage while whistleling dixie daisy to get some :D so... good luck, hopefully they will get used to it someday! :fingerscr

phoenix
June 4th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I bake it and use as treats. Mine won't eat it raw either. Do you want a treat recipe, or were you looking for preparing it raw?

Puppyluv
June 4th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Does any dog like it raw???? Layla will lick it for hours if I let her (I usually take it from her after 15 min) but she refuses to take a bite from it. If I sear it to a medium-rare with some garlic in the pan, then she eats it faster than anything.

Copper'sMom
June 4th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I bake it and use as treats. Mine won't eat it raw either. Do you want a treat recipe, or were you looking for preparing it raw?
Either one will do!:D If I sear it, does this mean fry it quickly in a pan? I'm not much of a cook, so I'm not sure of this term!:o

Ummmm! I like mine pan-fried with bacon and onions! Served with mashed potatoes!
Now, glasslass, you know onions aren't good for the pooches!! lol I myself, hate liver!!:yuck:

Puppyluv
June 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM
That's exactly how you sear. If it isn't well done enough for the poochies, you can throw the whole pan in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes afterwards (make sure the pan is heat proof :p)

phoenix
June 4th, 2006, 07:33 PM
ok, here are my 2 recipes. i have tried both and will comment on each: also- warning, liver can cause bad smells in the kitchen, so cook when no company is coming over and when you can have the window open!

1. Liver treats
1 lb liver (any type)
2 cups brown rice flour
1 T. garlic powder

Mix in food processor, add a little water if necessary. Spread into 10 x 13" pan with sides (line with parchment paper). Bake at 300 for 30 minutes for soft treats. Cut into tiny squares. For hard treats, bake another 30 minutes. It is important to cut into squares after the first 30 minutes, otherwise you will have one big square that is impossible to cut! Keep in freezer.

With this recipe, I used wax paper as a liner and it stuck badly to the liver... MUST use parchment! Also, it looks really gross in the processor. I did it as hard treats, the dogs loved them at training class, kept very well in the freezer or fridge.

2. Parboil liver (place beef liver into a pot of water and boil until it turns greyish)... Cut into 1/4" cubes. Place on a baking sheet, sprinkle with garlic powder. Bake 250 F for 1 h. Store in fridge.

I really liked this easy recipe, mostly because I didn't have to clean the food processor after! The treats are softer than the first recipe. Also kept very well.

Good luck!:)

Lissa
June 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Does any dog like it raw????

Dodger LOVES it! I was surprised myself because it is so rich (and stinky:yuck: ) but he would eat it by the pound if I let him (which I obviously don't)...