Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Persistent Cough for my puppy

DonnaJane
June 4th, 2006, 09:12 AM
I am writing from Isla Mujeres, Mexico. I recently (1 month ago) purchased a Cocker Spaniel puppy from a reputable pet store in Cancun. She was approximately 8 weeks old when we brought her home. For the first few days, she was fine, then developed a nagging cough that would start, and end as though she had something caught in her throat. We took her to the vet, and he said she had allergies and not to worry, it would stop. After another week, we took her to another vet and he prescribed an antibiotic and cough medicine which we have given her twice a day as prescribed. The cough has improved somewhat, but she still coughs alot at night. She is eating well, eliminating properly, is playful, mischevious, etc. The coughing the last few days has sounded more "productive" and less dry..although there are no other symptoms...just the cough. Here in Mexico...there isn't really a requirement of a prescription, so i could pretty much get whatever antibiotic I need. (The antibiotic she was prescribed was generic for cephlexin) and I purchased it at a normal pharmacy and simply gave her a small dose as the vet prescribed.

Is there another treatment for what she has, will she grow out of this....is it serious? Any imput will be greatly appreciated.

Prin
June 4th, 2006, 12:11 PM
It might be kennel cough, but I'm confused as to why no vets can diagnose her..

rainbow
June 4th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I agree. I would take her to a different vet for a second opinion. :pawprint: