Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A tale of prednisone, adopted beagle and a lot of pee

Pepe
June 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Hi,

My wife :crazy: and I have adopted two 6years old beagles last November. One, Wober, is the alpha male and has had bladder issues from the start. Some due to anxiety, some to a urinary tract infection which was treated with antibiotics. This did not produce a spotless track record, so we also crated him, leash-trained him and went to obedience classes.

All of these initiatives have produced mitigated results: some days are pee-less, some days have one or two peeing-in-the-house incidents. These are not marking-related but seem to more genuinely have to do with his inability to contain himself (he pees copious amounts, and does so in all sorts of spots with very few being elevated).

What is compouding the problem is that Wober has bronchial allergies :sick: for which our vet has prescribed prednisone While it has helped in reducing (although not eliminate) his cough, it also makes him drink much more. And thus pee more. We tried reducing the prednisone dosage, which helped reduce the frequency of peeing incidents, but his cough then worsened.

We feel caught between a rock and a hard place, trying to help him with his health but fed up of having to clean his pee on a quasi-daily basis.

I should mention that his brother, Sebastian, is a problem-free beagle.

Does anyone know substitutes to prednisone that would be as effective but that wouldn't make him drink/pee more? Does anyone have recommendations as to how deal overall with Wober's peeing issue? We've reached the point where we're considering finding him a more suitable home (one with people present all time and a big fenced yard where he can roam freely).

Thanks!

Pepe

Lucky Rescue
June 4th, 2006, 09:43 AM
I assume you reduced the pred. doses with instructions from your vet? You must never do this on your own, or it can create more and worse problems. Not to mention that long-term prednisone usage is quite harmful in itself.

You need to work with the vet, or find one who specializes in these types of allergies to find an alternative, if there is one.

Someone else here may help with suggestions for the allergies, but I just want to say that even if you find him a home with people who are mostly there, even they will have to go out sometime and no one else will want to come home and clean up pee either.:(

jawert1
June 4th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Have you had an ACTH test done to determine his pituitary hormone levels? He may have other issues like Cushing's or Addison's or Diabetes going on beyond the prednisone. The ramifications of rehoming him are significant, you may end up with your other beagle having major problems because you've given up his brother. I would recommend going back to the vet for more blood work, the ACTH is a timed water deprivation test.

OntarioGreys
June 4th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Take a look at this vet site in particular bronchitis in a Dobe you can always print out and take to your vet to discuss possible treatment options.

http://www.vetinfo.com/dogresp.html