Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smelly tank

piperwest12
June 4th, 2006, 12:34 AM
Hi, I have a single red eared slider in a 33 gallon breeder tank. It is half full and I am running two large capacity filters in the tank. I am having a problem that started when the food that I normally fed Godzilla was discontinued and I had to start using reptomin sticks. The tanks smells no matter what I use or how often I clean it. I fully clean the tank once a month and do weekly maintence which involves filter cleanings. New filter media is bought every month. I have even resorted to letting everything soak in clorox and vinegar for a few hours before thoroughly cleaning it out. What can I do to kill that musty, smelly stink. It's a small apartment so the smell spreads. I can clean the tank now and three hours from now it'll start stinking. Help please!!! Also what can I do to stimulate the turtle to be more active and "happy?"

Sneaky
June 5th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Hi there,
one suggestion, remove your turtle to a seperate location during
feeding so it can poop away, maybe a tall sided container he cant
climb out of. Then you can just get rid of the poo and it wont smell
as much in the tank. My boyfriend used to have 12 RES when he was
a kid, and the tank needed cleaning every 3 days, until he started
feeding them in a kiddie pool and letting them do their business there.
Tank remaining cleaner for 4x longer!

Also, over time, as your red ear grows, he/she will eventually need
a larger enclosure. RES can reach 8-10 inches across, larger in
mature females.
Eventually, 55g would be required.
Im not sure how fast RES grow, but they can live to be 35 years
old!

Also, Maybe try a different food than the reptomin.
There are definitely others on the market, try something different.

piperwest12
June 5th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I thought of removing him from the tank for feedings, but I did it once before and he refused to eat. I'll try again and hopoefully this will work. So far he is 4 and a half and he is 5 inches wide, so that tank is agood fit. Thanks for he info.

Herp-Art
August 7th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Goldfish...it also makes them more active, as they love the hunt! DO NOT use clorox...bad news, its toxic to the little fellers!

Tegan
August 30th, 2006, 09:43 PM
You should try changing the water more often ,once a month is not enough.you should be changing the water and cleaning the tank once week. Also what kind of filters do you have and what kind of media do you have in them? Is there any left over food in the bottom? sometimes over feeding is a cause of smell. you could also try getting some aquarium gravel and putting about 1 1/2 inches on the bottom. The gravel acts as a natural filter and you can clean it with an aquarium siphon while your changing the water. there are also products that will break down biological waste that should also make the smell dissipate. you should never use bleach in anything that has to do with animals. antibacterial dish soap is the best, and reptomin food will not cause the tank to smell.
I hope this helps

also just a tip, if you a ph buffer to keep the ph at 7 to 7.5 your calcium blocks wont disolving so quickly