Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Female animals not going into heat.

RykaDawn
June 3rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
I have a dog and two cats. The dog and one of the cats are female. I know that they are old enough to go into heat, but they haven't. Any ideas why? My husband and I are both wondering. The cat is 1 year and the dog is 10 months. Isn't 10 months old enough for her to go into heat? If it is, shouldn't we be seeing some blood or evidence of it?
:pawprint: :confused:

mafiaprincess
June 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
Do both animals a favour and spay them before they do. A cat in heat is a sad sight, that comes quicker and quicker when they don't mate. And a dog is less likely for things such as mammary cancer if they don't go into heat before spaying.

chocolatecoffee
June 3rd, 2006, 09:39 PM
Dogs can enter their first heat anywhere from 6 - 14 months. Moreover, some dogs experience a "silent heat" which is when you see no evidence of a heat; some dogs don't even bleed.

However, the chances of a dog developing a mammary tumour if she was spayed before her first heat is almost 0%. After the first heat, the risk rises to about 25%. Among many other things, it can also increase their life span, decrease their desire to roam, eliminates the discomfort associated with a heat (it can be incredibly uncomfortable), and it helps avoid unwanted pregnancy :thumbs up!

Is there a reason your furbabies haven't been spayed yet?

rainbow
June 4th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Is there a reason your furbabies haven't been spayed yet?

I was also wondering why you haven't spayed/neutered your pets? :confused:

LM1313
June 4th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Please get them spayed quickly, ESPECIALLY the cat, as cats can go into heats that last for weeks or months. I'm hoping your male cat is neutered?? If not, please spay the female cat or neuter the male cat right away . . . Preferably both, but at LEAST one of them before you end up with an unwanted litter of kittens!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
June 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Please have them spayed -- they will be far healthier!