Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Medium sized dogs and excercise how much is too much how much is not enough

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 3rd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Okay I have a question about excercise and dogs especially med sized dogs that are middle aged and older. The weather is getting hotter here so I dont usually go as far. I took Joey on our usual walk just under 5k he usually does fine - but this one time he stopped half way to rest under a tree in the shade. We made it all the way home but he was dragging behind me and I even picked him up and carried him part of the way. Joey pretty much crashed on the couch when he got home for the rest of the day.

So instead we have been doing shorter walks throughout the day with Joey. Also I mentioned this to to the vet and the vet listened to his heart he said nothing is out of the ordinary.

Today was cooler and I woke up early to take Joey for his walk - he kept up a good pace and even stayed in front of me until about 2 blocks from my house and slowed down again. He seems fine today and is just following me and the kids around the house.

So my question is am I pushing Joey to hard - should I stop the just under 5k walks with him. Should I keep doing them so he builds up his stamina a bit. I dont want to under excercise him either - any thoughts or experience would be appreciated. For those that dont know Joey is 6 years old English Cocker Spaniel about 27 pounds. :D

Puppyluv
June 3rd, 2006, 07:15 PM
I found with both of our family dogs, as they aged, that rather than devreasing the length of the walks, decreasing the speed worked really well. (Until they gpt quite old, then we had to do short and slow) This way they still got the exercise they needed, but we didn't tire them out too much. Also, breaks, especially for water or swimming (if he likes it) helps too!

PetFriendly
June 3rd, 2006, 08:49 PM
For his size, and his breed, 6 isn't really all that old. Most cockers I know have lived into their late teens.

Do you have a doggie water bottle? When its too hot I try to walk later in the day, but any time the temperature is over 20 C, I make sure I have Charley's water bottle and he's ok. When its crazy hot, we play fetch and stuff like that in the back yard on the grass or drive to the trails in the bush to walk in the shade. I'll also practice his cues more and play hide and seek in the house with him to burn off any left over energy.

Prin
June 4th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I'd bring water too. Boo and Jemma can be draggers, but it's more about being overly hot than tired. If I bring cold water and even wet them a bit, they tend to have more energy.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 4th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Hey everyone thanks for all your tips sorry I have taken a while to respond. I will def get Joey a doggie water bottle great idea. :D