Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Feeling like i did the wrong thing

Sara1954
June 3rd, 2006, 05:10 PM
Hope someone can help me take a way the guilt i am feeling that more could have been done. My cat Mugglie was losing weight and throwing up. I didn't know who was doing what cause i have 3 cats..I took her to the vet and blood work was done. THe vet said the liver showed almost a 40% higher level of I am not sure but she prescribed a low protein food. The cat refused this food so I went back and was given another food so that she would at least gain some weight back. The next morning the cat had a very swollen side of her head and down the neck. I was told by the vet that she had a very low red cell count and I should put the animal out of her misery. I am so unsure i did the right thing..I thought it might be her teeth cause she was eating funny. But then I read that it could also be ulsers in her mouth related to the kidney and liver failure. I just don't know..and i am beating myself up over this..what i need to know is is it normal for her face to swell like this from the disease. Or has the Vet missed something. I need to know. The doctor never mentioned kidney damage only liver problems. It just happened so fast..Please help

LavenderRott
June 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Animals are so very different from people. In the wild, injury or illness could mean death by a predator, so our pets rarely show any pain until it is too late for us to do anything to help them.

I lost my beloved Rottie girl last spring to osteosarcoma. One afternoon I came home from running some errands and she couldn't put any weight on one leg. Just the day before she had been running through the house and roughhousing with my other dog! The x-rays showed that the osteo was so far advanced that her shoulder bone was collapsing in upon itself! I was stunned. We put her to sleep that night and I miss her every day still.

I tell you this so that you understand - you may never know what really happened but you did the most noble thing possible. You released her from her pain without thought of the pain it would cause you. That is the single most important gift we can give our pets who give us so much and ask nothing in return.

Lucky Rescue
June 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
Rottielover is right. Cats, in particular, are experts at hiding illness and pain, sometimes until it's too late.

There's no way of knowing, without a necropsy, what was wrong with your cat. I"m sure you did what you felt the right thing to do, and your cat was lucky to have someone who cared so much.

I'm really sorry.:(

Sara1954
June 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM
Animals are so very different from people. In the wild, injury or illness could mean death by a predator, so our pets rarely show any pain until it is too late for us to do anything to help them.

I lost my beloved Rottie girl last spring to osteosarcoma. One afternoon I came home from running some errands and she couldn't put any weight on one leg. Just the day before she had been running through the house and roughhousing with my other dog! The x-rays showed that the osteo was so far advanced that her shoulder bone was collapsing in upon itself! I was stunned. We put her to sleep that night and I miss her every day still.

I tell you this so that you understand - you may never know what really happened but you did the most noble thing possible. You released her from her pain without thought of the pain it would cause you. That is the single most important gift we can give our pets who give us so much and ask nothing in return.

Thank you for your help. Just am having such a difficult time of it...she was the product of a stray cat that just appeared in our front lawn and moved in. He mother was already carrying her. We had her for 11 years and still have the mom. But i think what made this even more difficult is that 2 weeks ago I also lost my beloved dog to lymphoma. He gracefully died in his sleep. He was only 8. It is more than i can stand and this uncertainty is killing me to..Just need to know...what was that facial swelling..her eye was barely open..is this also related to the this...question is haunting me.

Prin
June 4th, 2006, 12:35 AM
The facial swelling could have been something else, but being that you already had a serious liver condition diagnosed, I doubt that this cat would have lived much longer without suffering. I think you did the right thing.:grouphug:

OntarioGreys
June 4th, 2006, 07:57 AM
:grouphug: I an sorry about the passing of your cat and the pain and guilt you are feeling.

The fatty liver disease can cause mouth ulcers it can also cause brain swelling and may be what the vet was seeing and the reason he suggesting helping her cross to the bridge. or....

Liver disease is often related to other diseases, since there was swelling of the neck one possibility it was related to the thyroid or parathyroid glands the swelling could have be a result of cancer of these glands,which would complicate treatment for either condition severely.

When I knew Callie my greyhound had bone cancer I visited this website to help me with the decision I knew had to make and then afterward when the grief of her loss felt unbearable, get a box of kleenex, as you will likely cry but the tears you shed will be those that help to cleanse, just to forewarn the bold text represents guilt speaking In "Conversations with Guilt" the site is filled with beautiful stories and poems. Terri Onorato is the creator of the site and has had several pets go the bridge and has created the site to help others with their losses http://www.angelbluemist.com/portrait.html

joeysmama
June 4th, 2006, 08:18 AM
It's so difficult to know just when it's time to let go. I think you did the right thing and saved your poor sweetie a lot of suffering.

When Joey was sick I kept holding on, thinking the next treatment would be the one he needed. Now I feel terrible guilt over the suffering he endured.

Don't beat yourself up over the decision It's clear that you loved her and only wanted the best for her. All animals should be fortunate enough to be cared for by someone like you.

rainbow
June 4th, 2006, 12:39 PM
I agree with everyone. You did what was best for Mugglie. :grouphug:

Sara1954
June 7th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Just want to give a huge THANK YOU all of you who took the time to answer my question . It sure made it alot easier to deal with and in time I feel that I will be able to put my guilt behind me. This place is wonderful and I will check in time to time to see if I can also contribute to those in need of advise.