Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grooming tools

mummummum
June 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Can anyone recommend a good brand(s) for a shedding comb, a shedding rake and a de-matting tool? I walked up to Canuck Tire this a.m. - all under 10 bucks but checking the Petsmart site, The "Furminator" is $55 on sale. Yikes- that's quite the price difference! Bridie and Declan are both double coated, Ceili isn't. I don't like spending money on something that is poor quality but, I also don't want to pay the moon if the tool isn't going to do the job properly.

Also, in my efforts to save some $$$ - I'm going to attempt to give D & C the big shave myself this year. I have an old Oster clipper with a blade that is duuuuuuuhhhhlllll. Can those things be sharpened - or do they have to be replaced? If they can be re-tooled - any idea as to where one takes them to be sharpened in Toronto?

SnowDancer
June 3rd, 2006, 12:05 PM
I am also looking for a good undercoat rake for my Eskimo. The groomer has a product she sells that is a brush and is made in Germany - also has a couple of other comb/brushes but they are for medium haired dogs. I am going to ask her on Thurs. when we go for socialization - her assistant was away this week and I picked up my little "angel" just as a gaggle of people arrived so managed to ask only if this would be good for Eskie and she said yes. Don't know price, but it was last one (although Made In Germany does make my expect high price, but what else is new for Mr. High Maintenance?!). Will report back. I won't shave my Eskie of course. I do have a slicker brush plus my own old Mason Pearson brush that I sue on him but as he doesn't blow his coat his tummy does get matted and now his ears as this week we started basic choke chain training - he is 26 monts - in desperation. Working very well. We also live in Toronto so any product I can get would be available to you.

mafiaprincess
June 3rd, 2006, 01:16 PM
I've found cheap petsmart tools leave something to be desired.. If they work awesome.. If they don't I return them and tell them why, and it's no questions asked. I bought thining shears this week had to return them. It was like the blades didn't touch.. So they didn't cut..

I have my neighbour's old andis clippers. You can get them sharpened. I'm in Whitby and the closet I can find is TO. Look up sharpening in the yellow pages. Places will specify industrial or not.

It's apparently cheap as heck to get blades done at dog shows, but that's not my thing..

glasslass
June 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
I tried to find the original box my Oster A5 clippers came in, which contains the papers giving addresses to ship blades to for sharpening. Didn't find it. Alas, this happens all the time since we moved and haven't as yet gotten everything unpacked. :sad: However, if you look up Oster clipper blade sharpening on the web, there are all kinds of places that can do it for you.

PetFriendly
June 3rd, 2006, 09:06 PM
Most of Charley's brushes come from Wal-Mart or Petsmart. I think I got his undercoat rake (his coat is probably similar to an eskie) at Petsmart and it wasn't more than $20 and hasn't failed me yet. He also has a metal comb with a handle and one without... I would highly recomend one with a handle its much easier on the hands. I got that comb and his flea comb (used for the fine fur on his legs and behind his ears) at Wal-Mart

mummummum
June 4th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Well - I bought The Furminator and tried it out on both Bridie and Declan. I can't say it's for us and at 60 bucks - on sale - it's going back. I think being double coated with very, very dense hair the comb just doesn't get down deep enough to the underlayer. I did buy a de-matting tool which if it holds up will be quite useful. But again - price differences- holey moley! Petsmart had one for $30 (you could replace the blades - but I didn't see any blades for sale) and another for $13, Pet Valu had one for about $18 and a private petstore had one for $15. They all look pretty much the same to me. Hmmm, maybe ebay carries professional dog groomer's tools... a way to kill two addictions with one drastic-plastic purchase!
http://bestsmileys.com/wow/3.gif

technodoll
June 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM
have you visited www.petsupplyhouse.com? it's a canadian, it has tons of professional grooming stuff at affordable prices, plus toys, shampoos, grooming tables, crates, everything to your heart's desire. Very easy to shop online & shipping is also affordable. my breeder recommended it to me and it's where i got all my excellent tools that i use all the time for my kiddos (slicker brush, pin brush, grooming rake, nail clipper, whitening shampoo, etc).:highfive:

glasslass
June 4th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Technodoll, what do you use for raking the undercoat? My brother was just mentioning this weekend that he saw a tool that was $60. He doesn't want to buy it unless he knows it'll really work. He has an AkitaX.

technodoll
June 4th, 2006, 10:46 PM
i use a fantastic tool called "coarse rake comb" #3809 , recommended by my akita breeder (she swears by it for all her dogs), works great, $15! :thumbs up ha ha just saw that you can get it for $8 in the states, you lucky ducks! http://www.dresslersdog.com/groom07.html

the one on the left, with a loopy handle:

http://www.vetvax.com/media/psi-rake.jpg

mummummum
June 4th, 2006, 11:20 PM
OMG Technodoll you must realllllly hate me...(;) ) I'm going to spend a :D fortune! Who knew you could spend $440 on a single pair of scissors !?!?!?! Seriously though - that's a great site. So much too choose from...my drastic plastic is already quivering in anticipation !

rainbow
June 4th, 2006, 11:29 PM
have you visited www.petsupplyhouse.com? it's a canadian, it has tons of professional grooming stuff at affordable prices, plus toys, shampoos, grooming tables, crates, everything to your heart's desire. Very easy to shop online & shipping is also affordable. my breeder recommended it to me and it's where i got all my excellent tools that i use all the time for my kiddos (slicker brush, pin brush, grooming rake, nail clipper, whitening shampoo, etc).:highfive:

I shop there as well. Great place. :thumbs up

rainbow
June 4th, 2006, 11:32 PM
i use a fantastic tool called "coarse rake comb" #3809 , recommended by my akita breeder (she swears by it for all her dogs), works great, $15! :thumbs up ha ha just saw that you can get it for $8 in the states, you lucky ducks! http://www.dresslersdog.com/groom07.html

the one on the left, with a loopy handle:

http://www.vetvax.com/media/psi-rake.jpg

Sorry for being so stupid :o but just how do you use the one on the left?

rainbow
June 9th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Sorry for being so stupid :o but just how do you use the one on the left?

Hey, TD, I'm still stupid :eek: and confused :confused: :D

technodoll
June 9th, 2006, 11:37 AM
oops sorry, i never saw that message :eek:

it's just an ordinary rake, photographed at a strange angle, LOL! dunno why it's designed that way (with the curving metal), but you just brush it straight down on the fur and it goes deep to the undercoat, leaves the longer guard hairs intact (no ripping or pulling). it's a very effective and comfortable tool to use, well-made and the dogs love the "deep massage" effect. helps alot when the akitas are blowing coat! :thumbs up

technodoll
June 9th, 2006, 11:42 AM
mummummum, i am soooo sorry! hope your bank card forgives me, haha! i'll have to say though that prices are higher in canada for the same things, grrr... i'm glad i don't have show-dogs, i'd go flat broke buying all kinds of fancy stuff all the time! :D

rainbow
June 9th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Okay, now that I look closer, I can see the tines. :D

So, it's the best thing for dogs with an undercoat?

technodoll
June 9th, 2006, 12:42 PM
well, i don't know if it's the best thing for undercoats, i think it depends on the dog's breed (coat type can be long, short, thick, double or triple-coated, wavy, wooly, etc) but for akitas it is really efficient. I would imagine that for similar-coated dogs, it would also work wonderfully. for the price, it is well worth the trial, i think! :thumbs up

akita coat standard:
Double-coated. Undercoat thick, soft, dense and shorter than outer coat. Outer coat straight, harsh and standing somewhat off body. Hair on head, legs and ears short. Length of hair at withers and rump approximately two inches, which is slightly longer than on rest of body, except tail, where coat is longest and most profuse. Fault--Any indication of ruff or feathering.

Note: the shedding rake is not used on the tail, where coat is of a different length & texture than on the body, the rake would pull the hairs off.

rainbow
June 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM
It would be for my siberian husky:

Coat: Soft, dense, downy undercoat. Outer coat dense, smooth, soft, and of medium length.

So, I think I'll add that to my next order at the pet supply house.

muckypup
June 9th, 2006, 08:45 PM
I strongly discourage shaving double-coated breeds. Besides the fact that the coat, when kept properly groomed, acts as insulation from the heat/cold, and as a cooling system in the warmer months, shaving a double coated breed can permanently ruin a dogs coat and cause skin problems. Unhealthy, thick and soft fur grows back in when you should be encouraging the growth of healthy course guard hairs, that protect your dog, when properly groomed. Sometimes when a double-coated dog is shaved it never grows back at all or only in patches which I have seen a lot in older dogs or dogs with skin problems or other health problems.

Pet Supply house is good, there is also Rens in Oakville www.renspets.com

If you are looking for a cheaper “Furminator” I just use an old 40 blade. Mars Coat Kings are a very good tool. Both these tools are “carding” tools and carding encourages the growth of a desirable, healthy course coat rich in colour.

I’d also recommend for double-coats/shedding breeds, a velocity dryer and Best Shot shampoo and leave in conditioner.

technodoll
June 9th, 2006, 08:51 PM
rainbow, a friend of mine has a sib and uses the same tool, she swears by it! good luck & please give news! :highfive:

mummummum
June 9th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I strongly discourage shaving double-coated breeds.

Sorry - to be clear - when I say "the Big Shave" - I'm not talking down to the skin. I'm talking about taking it down from 4-6 inches to 2 -4 inches of hair. My gang does ALOT of swimming and mucking about and ...I'm sooooooo tired of the matts and the new carpet I have every time I come home! Thanks for the great tips and link. I'm not sure my drastic plastic can take the heat! Hmmm...better go pray to The Wall Gawd before Woofstock.