Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Siamese Cat ..help

ave
June 3rd, 2006, 11:05 AM
I just recently let me Siamese cat outside after being an indoor cat for 5 years, he seems so much happier. He has a shed when it rains and is living comfortable outside. The other day I noticed a lump on the side of him...where our hips are. there are 2 scratches or bite marks? and his hair is matted over those areas, what do I do..how can I find out if he was bit by something?:eek:

Lucky Rescue
June 3rd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Your cat could have an abcess from a bite. You must take him to the vet to have it drained and get him on antibiotics.

You'll probably need to get him tested for FIV and FeLV also, since those diseases are transmitted by bites.

Your cat may be happy outside, but what what pets want and what is best for them are different.

OntarioGreys
June 3rd, 2006, 12:15 PM
If you had a 10 or 12 year old child and handed them the keys to your car, they might be overjoyed and think you are the coolest parent in the world.

You could buy your 5 year old a superman outfit and tell they can now fly off building and they may be overjoyed

I does not mean just because you made the child happy that these are good or safe things to do.

If your siamese had gotten into my fenced in yard, my 3 dogs would have a field day, first stalking and running him down, then tossing and playing tug of war with the body and then attemping to devour, sorry this is graphic but this is what they have done to rabbits in the yard, even though they live with 2 indoor cats they cannot differentiate that the cat is someone elses pet when they see a strange small animal running in the yard they think it is another form of prey and their instincts to hunt kicks in. This is just one of the many dangers your cat faces if allowed to roam. If you would like your cat to have outdoor time you need to find a way to securely keep it on your property that will also protect it from other animals.

I wish your cat well, please do see a vet as antibiotics are likely needed

happycats
June 3rd, 2006, 12:27 PM
Very well put OntarioGreys!!!:highfive:

As petowners, much like parents, we have to do whats best for our pets, and whats best, doesn't always make them happy.

Also a cat that's been indoors for 5 years, may not be aware of danger!
I know when my indoor cats got loose, my one went right into the neighbors dog pen:eek: (my neighbos dogs kill cats) I was able to grab him before the dogs did!

Please reconsider your decision to make your cat "outdoors", or do what we didi, and build an enclosure off the basement window, that way they still get to go out, but are safe, and the local wildlife is also safe! (cats kill many beuatiful birds, and rabbits, )

rainbow
June 4th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I just recently let me Siamese cat outside after being an indoor cat for 5 years, he seems so much happier. He has a shed when it rains and is living comfortable outside.

Does this mean he is living totally outside now? :eek: