Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my dog was diagnosed with a heart murmur...anyone have experience with this?

sways_bodyguard
June 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM
anyon have any pets with a heart murmur? if so, what knowledge or information can you share with me...
the vet told me it wasnt bad, but that she definately has one-
:(
what does this mean for the dogs everyday life? how about long term?
any information is greatly appreciated-

sways_bodyguard
June 2nd, 2006, 10:15 PM
also, just so yall know...my dog just turned 5 and she is a pitbull mix

Lucky Rescue
June 2nd, 2006, 11:13 PM
IF your vet says it's not bad, then I wouldn't worry too much.

Many animals, and people too, live long and healthy lives with mild heart murmurs.:)

Puppyluv
June 3rd, 2006, 06:01 AM
I've had a murmur since I was two, and it almost never affects me. I run 12 km daily (just started again :D yay!!!) and the murmur never hinders me. Heart murmurs aren't really a disease, they are a symptom. Do you know the cause of the murmur? It could be anyrthing from a hole in the heart, to a weak valve (what I have). So long as your vet says it's ok, and it's monitored, your dog should live a long and healthy life!

Prin
June 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM
My brother had a murmur and the only thing it affected was dental surgery. If the dentist went below the gum line, my bro would have to take packs and packs of pills. But honestly, I don't know if it's the same in our furry counterparts...:o

Me and Kayla
June 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Kayla is a pitbull and also has a heart murmur. According to my vet, it is not that uncommon for pitties. It doesn't seem to affect her in any way, at least nothing that I have noticed. When she is tired, she stops running.

I was told that if I wanted to know how extensive the heart problem that is causing the murmur, then I could invest a small fortune on canine cardiologists, x-rays...etc etc. Not likely! I figure...if she can live with it, so can I.

Me and Kayla