Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sprain Ankle

poodletalk
June 2nd, 2006, 01:25 PM
My husky has a doggy version of a sprain ankle, the vet told me she needs to rest her ankle and minimal amount of walking possible. She's driving me CRAZY! Even though she's limping, she's raring to go and she has this built of energy due to lack of excerise.

In the middle of the night, she got up and started pacing the floors which she never does and she's not suppose because of her ankle. The only way I could get her to stop was to let her on the bed with me, a privledge she lost couple of months ago.

She has chew toys that can mentally occupy her time, but she needs and wants to go for long walks...which she can't do for atleast another week. :(

Doe anyone has any suggestions what I can do with her so she can burn her energy without hurting her ankle?

rainbow
June 3rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
Wow, do I feel sorry for you. I have a husky so know what it's like when they don't get exercised enough. :eek:

Would you be able to play tug of war with her? Unfortuneately, I think it's going to be a long crazy week for both of you. :crazy:

SnowDancer
June 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM
If your husky will tolerate a crate, then that is what you will have to do - along of course with letting him sleep on the bed if that will keep him from pacing. This is only way that ankle will properly heal. I fully understand how hard this will be. My mini Dachshunds were most defnitely not crate dogs, but after full back surgery they had to stay in crates as they refused to accept limitations as feeling returned to their bodies - and if I had allowed them to pull themselves around, further damage would have been done. I even had the crate in the centre of the bed. I dread the day my Eskimo hurts a leg - most likely will break one the way he carries on - he has crate terrors, but I wouldn't have a lot of choice either - not to mention a cast - no doubt that would also mean a collar. Hope you get through the week okay - a week isn't so bad - just seems like it.

poodletalk
June 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM
It's been over a week now, she's feeling alot better! I have started taking her for short slow walks on leash, I haven't taken her off the leash so she can run. Even though,we go for slow walks she still comes home every once in awhile limping.I guess she will need some extra time to feel 100%.