Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breed guessing game

kayla
June 2nd, 2006, 01:15 PM
My bf just adopted a dog, a shepherd mix, and we are trying to figure out what else he has in him. His hair is kinda wirey and shorter than a shepherd's and doesn't have the downy undercoat. Also he has a white patch on his chest, where could this have come from? Here's a picture of him, he's about 7 months and 55lbs. Anyone have any ideas?

kayla
June 2nd, 2006, 01:18 PM
Here is a picture of him from the side...

Prin
June 2nd, 2006, 02:29 PM
No offense, but he just looks like a regular pet store german shep to me...:o

kayla
June 2nd, 2006, 03:04 PM
You think so? Wouldn't a pure bred GSD have more tan on him? I feel like he is definitely mostly GSD, but I feel he's got something else in there too. Even his body doesn't seem quite right for a GSD. Mind you I was looking up pics of them and they do seem to vary a lot. I have no idea where he came from though, Brian just got him a few days ago from the SPCA. Someone said he could be part Rottie because of his toes.Could very well have originally been a pet store GSD though, he's definitely got the GSD smarts!

kayla
June 2nd, 2006, 03:05 PM
Oh yeah and he's got that white chest which I've never seen on a GSD before...

Joey.E.CockersMommy
June 2nd, 2006, 03:10 PM
Not sure but I love the ears they are so big. :D

kaytris
June 2nd, 2006, 05:44 PM
Mostly shepherd.. some have more black than tan, and sometimes the black fades as they age, and I've seen shepherds with that coat length and with a longer coat.

The white spot? Who knows... I don't know about shepherds, but labs often have white spots on their chests or the feet. Genetics can come up with some weird things sometimes.

Found a couple sites with pictures of various shepherd colors:

http://www.jmadesign.com/Frankenhaus/colorgen01.html

http://www.justshepherds.com/colors.htm

http://www.kerstoneshepherds.com/colors.htm

(That last site has pictures of white spotted puppies, and the different coat lengths)

Skryker
June 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
The side picture makes me think of lab, the way the coat is wavy along the back, and the white spot could be lab, too.

I dunno, though, he looks pure GSD otherwise. And my 2 monsters are lab/rott cross, so maybe what I see as lab could be Rottie, too.

Whatever, he is pure cute, and there's no doubt about that! :pawprint:

kayla
June 2nd, 2006, 07:42 PM
Whatever, he is pure cute, and there's no doubt about that! :pawprint:

Thanks, I have to say I agree! He's so goofy looking with his big ears :D

Thanks so much for those links kaytris, they were super useful! There was one picture that looked nearly identical to Max. It was attached to a blurb about the white spotting gene:

"The white spotting gene causes white spots or blazes on chests, faces, toes, or tips of tails on colored dogs.
The white spotting gene is NOT the same gene responsible for solid whites! White GSDs may tend produce puppies with white
on them because you wouldn't be able to tell if the white parent had a white spotting on them."

And this was the picture, other than the white paws he looks VERY similar to Max! I think you guys might be right about being a pure GSD!

PetFriendly
June 2nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Would a GSD really have such big ears? I'd be tempted to throw in some hound to explain the ears?!

Puppyluv
June 2nd, 2006, 08:00 PM
Layla and I met a pb GSD this morning with GIANT ears. So, I think it's quite possible.

Prin
June 2nd, 2006, 09:45 PM
You think so? Wouldn't a pure bred GSD have more tan on him? I feel like he is definitely mostly GSD, but I feel he's got something else in there too. Yeah, that's why I said "pet store"... You know, not the best breeding- who knows what is in there, but if it's mostly GSD, that's what they'll sell it as... :o

BMDLuver
June 3rd, 2006, 06:46 AM
Yippie... I was rooting for that guy at the SPCA. I love his ears.

kayla
June 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Yippie... I was rooting for that guy at the SPCA. I love his ears.

Yeah we had been looking at him for a few days while Brian hmmmm'd and haaaaaw'd (he takes forever to make a decision :rolleyes: ). Max is such a sweet boy and pretty hard to resist though. I think those goofy ears were his final selling point! :D

Prin
June 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
A few days? Poor guy. When I went to get Boo, they were going like hotcakes. Oh, wait, do you mean the other SPCA?

happycats
June 3rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
If his hair is wirey and a bit curly, he may have some terrier in him, GSD Airedale is my guess:)

OntarioGreys
June 4th, 2006, 08:19 AM
Looks like he still has a couple months to grow into those ears, good looking pup ;)

Rottielover
June 4th, 2006, 08:26 AM
he looks pure GSD to me, I have seen many pups, as for the white, it is passed down genetically just as a rottweiler with white on its chest. a DQ fault, and the dogs should not be bred, but it can happen... As for the ears, typical GSD ears, some cartilidge never fully develope, and thats why some do not stand correct.
As for the coat, it looks like puppy fur to me. Harley still has the wave down his back, and he is from champion lines....Anything can happen

Sneaky
June 4th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Looks like a pure German Shepherd to me.
As for white being a fault, isnt their Pure White GSDs?
As Well as Pure black?
Im not sure of the breed standard, but I thought it was
either adjusted recently to include the white dogs,
or is being adjusted in the near future?
Ill have to check my Dogs annual from last year, I think
it had an article on it.
Anyway, hes a gorgeous pup.
Nice ears...he'll grow into them!
:D

Puppyluv
June 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM
As for white being a fault, isnt their Pure White GSDs?
As Well as Pure black?
Im not sure of the breed standard, but I thought it was
either adjusted recently to include the white dogs,
or is being adjusted in the near future?
:D

apparantly I have to type something, and not just quote, so blah blah blah, here is my quote from the WGSDCI:

Can white German Shepherds be shown in conformation competitions? Yes and No. As of 1968, when the German Shepherd Dog Club of America changed its breed standard to list the color white as a disqualifying fault, the white German Shepherd has been disqualified from the AKC breed (conformation) ring. In the CKC breed ring, whites can still be shown; however, the color white is considered "less desirable." In shows and matches sponsored by the White German Shepherd Dog Club International, Inc.™ and the White German Shepherd Dog Club of America (although this club requires you to be a member to show), a white German Shepherd may be shown in the conformation ring. Shows and matches are held all over the United States by Chapters of the national club. A white GSD can earn points towards its WGSDCII Championship at WGSDCII™ sanctioned shows. A dog must earn 15 points to become a Champion. The point scale is similar to the one used by AKC in determining a breed championship. Your white GSD can also be shown in the conformation ring with the American Rare Breed Association, the United Kennel Club and the International All-Breed Canine Association of America.

Rottielover
June 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT WHITE, BUT ALL BLACK CAN SHOW, BUT IS NOT FAVORABLE WITH THE JUDGES. oops, sorry. black and tan is a standard colour, but having white with them is a fault...or a DQ, not sure which

doggy lover
June 6th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I love the LEGS looks, my BMD X GSD had white feet, head and the cross of the BMD on his chest. But his ears were floppy not like yours standing up. His is so cute.:p