Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hydrogen Peroxide- used on hotspot caused vomiting?

Abbeysmom
June 2nd, 2006, 11:27 AM
Good Morning,

Ok this is the situation . . . My dog, female, 3 yrd old Shih Tzu Abbey. Had a bit of a hot spot on one of her hind legs. She has had this same hot spot before. She get's this spot from licking her hind leg excessively, she does this when she is nervous, usually around this time of year from the firecrackers on May 24, and then it is almost healed when we have Canada Day July 1, but then licking starts again, more firecrackers. Ok, so in the past in an attempt to dry the wound out I have applied Hydrogen Peroxide, as my vet had suggested this, and better than alcohol as it will not "sting" , so I did this and the next morning Abbey had diarhea and vomitting. She is now fine. I did some research and I have read that Hydrogen Peroxide is also used for dogs to induce vomitting.
Does any one have any thoughts around the fact that I may have caused Abbey to vomitt when I put the Hydrogen Peroxide on her wound?

Puppyluv
June 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
Putting H2O2 on a wound won't cause vomitting if it is licked off. As soon as the H2O2 is applied to the wound, it is converted to H2O and O2 (which is why it bubbles). SO if your dog licks the wound, she is just licking up water. When you use H2O2 to induce vomitting, you are using a lot more than is applied to the wound anyways. The vomitting and diarrhea are from a different cause, and a vet visit is in order.

LibbyP
June 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
My dogs also get hot spots a quick sure fire way to clear them up with little $$ mouth wash, dab it on acouple of times, and if they lick it, well then their breath is minty fresh:)

Abbeysmom
June 2nd, 2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks Puppyluv, we are going to vet tonight. The vomitting and diarhea has stopped, but I always want to be sure. I'll let you know what the vet says.

Puppyluv
June 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM
LibbyP, wouldn't that sting like the :evil: ?

Puppyluv
June 2nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
No prob, glad I can put my chemistry schoolin' to work once and a while ;)
Good luck at the vet.

erykah1310
June 2nd, 2006, 01:08 PM
LibbyP, wouldn't that sting like the :evil:
Not really I use peroxide for myself alot, and it doesnt sting unless you put it in an open wound with infection

jessi76
June 2nd, 2006, 03:21 PM
just a tip... my vet recommends regular antibacterial soap (such as Dial) for a hotspot. The soap not only keeps it clean, but is very drying. Gently wash the area regularly, rinse, and pat dry.

I thought my dog had hotspots last year, but turned out it was a different skin problem.

anyways, good luck at the vet!

Puppyluv
June 2nd, 2006, 08:58 PM
Not really I use peroxide for myself alot, and it doesnt sting unless you put it in an open wound with infection
Erykah, I meant, "wouldn't the mouth wash on a wound hurt like the :evil: ?"
I use H2O2 all the time too, but since mouth wash is alcohol.. OWWW:eek:

OntarioGreys
June 3rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
For any open wound you are better off using soap and water to clean or saline, hydrogen peroxide can actually kill healthy tissue cells which can delay healing.

This article is by Dr. Jacobson is professor and chairman of the department of emergency medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City and a member of the EMERGENCY MEDICINE editorial board
http://www.emedmag.com/html/pre/err/0804.asp

Under treating "cuts and scrapes"
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=14315

ANd info from a vet hospital on the use
http://www.selkirkvet.com/index.php?view=pageView&docid=100035851