Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spray Collar & barking

Daizy
June 2nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
I've just bought a spray collar for my dogs, I could only afford one though as it was $100!! I was a little shocked at the price. Apparently, my two precious darlings are going crazy barking when I'm not there at any noise outside the apartment - the super said she thinks its Daisy protecting the little one - which is very sweet, but understandably the neighbours have been complaining. I've put the collar on Daisy (it's actually quiet funny watching her reaction to the spray, I try not to laugh) My question is: does anyone else have experiences with the spray collar's and what do they think of them etc. etc.

mafiaprincess
June 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
Many people have shared stories that citronella collars don't work. Smart dogs will bark and jump to try to not get fully sprayed. Or will learn to bark non stop and that they can empty it.

I prefer the sound/ shock ones. Trainer had hers set on the high frequency warning sound no shock and it was enough to deter her very noisy Aussie that sometimes he needs to settle down. Also works for more than one dog, and he didn't even wear it. It was hung on a wall. I looked at baby monitor size units that emited sound at one point. Thought they looked to be a potential solution, but our barking problem got better.

Corrie
June 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Daizy, I will be interested in hearing what folks think about the collars as well...if they have had success. I have also been thinking of getting one for my terrier.

I am sure you will lots of "I would never do that to my dog" responses...but I am sure you would mostly like to hear from folks who have used them and get their opinion on the success (or not) of the collars.

erykah1310
June 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM
I am sure you will lots of "I would never do that to my dog" responses..
I was one of the I would never do that people, but I had a cocker spaniel a few years back and she was obsessive with barking I lived in an apartment, so I purchased a "yapper zapper" IT WORKED WONDERS!!! after a few little shocks she didnt bother barking anymore, then you can put these little rubber mini condom kinda things over the "prongs" and the dog thinks that they will still get a zap and remain quiet, It was only used when i wasnt home, when she was outside she barked alot too but if i was there she rarely used it, I m not for "gimmics" but when its a risk or being evicted, i did it!
Just dont over use the collars!

erykah1310
June 2nd, 2006, 12:24 PM
ONe more thing, if you leave them on ALL THE TIME the dog will figure out that there are ways around all the collars, my cousins dog has a yapper zapper and has been wearing it 24/7 for the 3 years she has had her, http://bestsmileys.com/sad/6.gif and now she does a high pitch wimper wine kinda thing ( she learnt that if she doesnt bark it wont shock her)

Daizy
June 2nd, 2006, 12:44 PM
Actually, I have noticed that it might be easy for Daisy to get round it once she has cottoned on, as if her bark isn't quite loud enough it hasn't squirted the air out at her. I'll have to keep an eye on it - If not I will try the one that has been suggested for emitting a noise as that will help as Buttercup is starting to find her little voice!! I agree it was something I thought I'd never do, but I want my dogs and believe it or not I want my home too:)

LibbyP
June 4th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Oaky I have used two very different kinds, #1 - citronella spray collar for our Coon Hound- did work for alittle while until she changed her bark and she only wore it when she was outside,and we thought she really didn't mind the smell and neither did we;)plus while she was wearing it our other dog would bark and set it off, #2 - we tried a little remote if she barked you press a button and a high pitch sound would be heard but that didn't work because not only was she affected so was all the other creatures in the house:( :sorry: I cannot offer any other advice or past experience, but these iteams when used properly do not harm your animal, best of luck, I'll have my :fingerscr for you

Prin
June 4th, 2006, 12:48 AM
I've heard of a lot of dogs who learn within a week to drain out all the juice by barking through it (and then they're free to bark the rest of the day).

Like any other tool, if it isn't working 100%, stop using it. I know people who used a shock collar on their dachs and it didn't work and he permanently lost all his fur around his neck (not to mention how much his skin is scarred). They should have stopped putting it on a long time ago.:rolleyes:

Sneaky
June 4th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I am just wondering, why dont people just train their dogs when to bark
and when not to bark?
I very successfully trained my Chihuahua not to bark as a young dog.
Treat rewards and tons of praise, and to this day she does not bark at all,
except when strange dogs walk by, or when a strange person comes to the
door, and that even, is limited to 3 or 4 barks then stops.
Heres how I trained her:
hot dogs cut into small cubes.
When she would bark, she would recieve a stern "Dont Bark" command,
and then was told to "Lay Down" and "Stay".
When she didnt bark, she was praised lavishly and given a treat.
If she just growled a little, she was told "Good Dog Muffin, now thats enough".
After 6 weeks, she no longer barked at strange things or most people.
3 years later, she is a nice, well trained little dog.
The command, Good Dog Muffin, now that enough", stops any barking on cue.
She is always rewarded with a good back scratch and a good rub.
Its pretty easy to train a dog, if youre consistent, and work hard at it,
even barking can be lessened to a dull roar.
Good Luck.

Prin
June 4th, 2006, 01:18 AM
A lot of dogs don't bark when their owners are home but bark up a storm when they're gone. ;)

Sneaky
June 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Prin,
yeah I know that. But my Chi doesnt bark when we arent
home either.
We used to live in a rental Suite and the Landlords spent most
of their time in the room directly next to our suite and
said they only ever once heard her barking....upon
looking outside, a client was knocking on our door, not theirs.
We lived there for a year, so one time barking for a few minutes
surely isnt too bad.

Frenchy
June 4th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Daizy;my sister used to same spray collar on her golden and it worked.He wore it for a month.So yes it does work on SOME dogs!Good luck.

Prin
June 4th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Prin,
yeah I know that. But my Chi doesnt bark when we arent home either.
We used to live in a rental Suite and the Landlords spent most of their time in the room directly next to our suite and said they only ever once heard her barking....upon looking outside, a client was knocking on our door, not theirs. We lived there for a year, so one time barking for a few minutes surely isnt too bad.
I guess it depends how secure a dog is. If they're only secure because you are there, then when you aren't there, they'll be barking their heads off at every little noise. Sometimes, they just need a little radio on to cover up the small frequent noises.

Daizy
June 5th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Thanks everyone for all your helpful comments. Actually, Daisy has only been barking up a storm since I got Buttercup who is a cutie pie at 4 1/2months old - Even when I'm home I noticed she was a bit more forthright in her barking. I'm assuming its because she is protecting Buttercup, which is very sweet. Now, I know it is only day four and I only have put the collar on her when I go out (and when I'm home I put it on Buttercup for a short while, so Daisy doesn't think its just her) and when I'm home her barks are usually one and two now at the most and even none at all if she hears the elevator - I'm very impressed with it! I'm now looking into one of those remote sound ones which I can put near the door and then maybe I can not have to let her wear the collar even though its only for a few hours, I'd still rather she didn't have to wear anything around her neck except for when we go for walks.:)