Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Local writer's opinion in today's paper

lezzpezz
June 2nd, 2006, 10:12 AM
DEADLY DOG ATTACK SPURS NEED FOR BAN
Friday, June 2, 2006

I don't claim to know everything there is to know about pit bulls, or the new law that places strict controls on ownership of the aggressive dogs. However with the tragic incident this week of a pit bull-cross killing its owner, I am coming around to supporting a full ban on this particular and similar breeds.
To hear of a family pet killing its owner is almost unheard of. And I know many people may argue this is an isolated incident, but how many isolated incidents have to occur before the ban is seen as legitimate in the eyes of those who are fighting it? 10? 20?

I have also heard the argument that it's not the dog, but the owner that truly shapes the aggressive nature of the animal. I know many pit bulls are naturally aggressive toward other dogs, while not necessarily aggressive to humans. But these dogs were originally bred to develop a brutal, fighting nature, and if pit bull owners aren't taking the time to properly train their dogs -- and pit bulls demand a lot of training -- then what is to be done?

It's too bad that a dog breed is now paying for human mistakes. When will we learn?

Prin
June 2nd, 2006, 12:48 PM
Loser.:mad:

How many guns have to kill people before there is an all out gun ban?
How many people have to die in cars before there is a car ban?
How many kids have to die in pools before there is a pool ban?
How many people have to die of heart attacks before there is a fast food ban?

It's US that is the problem here.
:rolleyes:
Soon we'll be walking around in padded suits just in case SOMETHING might happen.

Georgiapeaches
June 2nd, 2006, 04:16 PM
Blah....that article is ridiculous.

Soon we'll be walking around in padded suits just in case SOMETHING might happen.

My SO and I were joking around last night that soon we're all going to live in bubbles, lol.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
June 2nd, 2006, 04:22 PM
Ugh, the dog wasn't even a pit bull. It was a mutt.

wdawson
June 2nd, 2006, 06:18 PM
well said prin
but its not about:
guns
cars
pools
fast food
its more like

ban only
smith and wesson guns
ford cars
kidney shaped pools
and rotten ronnies big mac........forgot to mention...how many people have killed others without a weapon...do we ban people too

babyrocky1
June 2nd, 2006, 06:32 PM
Notice too that this guy says "similar breeds" as well. This is what I find with alot of people that dont know anything about anything and for some reason have a column....they often include Rottis etc. in there ban thinking.
Even some of the people testifying FOR the ban would have been happy to include other "breeds" but Bryant only offered them "pit bulls". I listened to a very long rant from one of my X bosses abut how two Rottis chased him through a park (it was an owner problem ofcourse) but he used that as his reason to suport the "pit bull ban" :rolleyes:

wdawson
June 2nd, 2006, 06:39 PM
there can't be that many ignorant people out there can there be?

jesse's mommy
June 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
Wanna bet?

I usually put very low expectations on people so I'm never disappointed with them. It's a nice surprise when things go well, but it doesn't happen too often.

wdawson
June 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
that explains your signature.....lol

seeker
June 2nd, 2006, 06:56 PM
I listened to a very long rant from one of my X bosses:crazy: abut how two Rottis chased him through a park (it was an owner problem ofcourse) but he used that as his reason to suport the "pit bull ban"
I am happy to hear you don't work for this guy anymore I would hate to think you have to take orders from someone that should be institutionalized.

wdawson
June 2nd, 2006, 07:00 PM
and the "s" stands for stupid

LM1313
June 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM
Blah....that article is ridiculous.

My SO and I were joking around last night that soon we're all going to live in bubbles, lol.

Like this? :p

http://www.superdickery.com/images/dick/1296_4_025.jpg

Compare the number of deaths-by-dog to the number of deaths-by-car . . . cars are way more dangerous than even ill-bred and ill-treated dogs!

jesse's mommy
June 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM
that explains your signature.....lol

I don't have much patience for stupidity!

Ed U KayShawn
June 2nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
lol my 6year old daughter asked me if she was allergic to anything I replied, stupidity and laziness! (sorry to threadjack uh humm! ) :angel:

Prin
June 2nd, 2006, 09:41 PM
do we ban people tooWe should.;)

Georgiapeaches
June 2nd, 2006, 10:18 PM
Haha that's great LM1313!!!!!

BullLover
June 5th, 2006, 09:49 AM
What about the other breeds in the mutt?

It's not just a pit bull mutt? What's the other half?

I did see that dog and who knows what it's crossed with....Probably about 5 different breeds.

babyrocky1
June 7th, 2006, 05:19 PM
I am happy to hear you don't work for this guy anymore I would hate to think you have to take orders from someone that should be institutionalized. LOL Seeker:crazy: , you would have to know the guy to really understand how funny that is, but not to worry, no one ever took orders from him. LOL I shared your post with some of my co-workers here, they all got a big laugh out of it. :thumbs up