Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Unwanted cat pooh

smallangel1
June 2nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
My neighbours just keep their cats (yes not just 1) outdoors in the garage so they can roam around the neighbourhood. I don't mind they roam around just that they always come to my front yard to pooh. It's get worst in the summer coz there's fly everywhere. Whenever I open my front door a fly easily got into my own house. My dog sometimes will go sniff it too :( What method can I use to stop the cat from coming to my front yard to do their business?

Writing4Fun
June 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM
I've heard that grating lemon rinds in your garden will help discourage cats, but you'd have to reapply it every so often. They like the loose soil, but will avoid rocks, so covering your garden with stone or crushed brick is also a good idea (this worked well for me personally). There are also products you can buy at your local hardware store or at PetSmart - I believe one such product is called "Critter Ridder". They're supposedly non-toxic, but they are uncomfortable if they get it on their paws, so maybe this isn't a good idea if your dog is used to sniffing around the area as well.

ETA: Oh! Just saw this in another thread. You can pick up some rubber or wooden snakes at the dollar store. Make sure they're big enough to resemble real snakes. Cats hate snakes and will avoid them like the plague.

Puppyluv
June 2nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
As a neighbour of three cats who love to poo on my porch, I am convinced that there is no humane way to prevent cats from doing so, especially if you own a pet yourself. I think the best solution is to talk to the owner(s) and tell them the problem, and ask that if they continue to let their cats roam, that they come over and clean up the poo, say at the end of each day.

smallangel1
June 2nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
Thx for the advise!:thumbs up
Gotta buy lemons whenever they are on sale now :p