Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Things My Baby Has Learned...

jesse's mommy
June 1st, 2006, 08:24 PM
Well, if you remember a few months ago I posted a pathetic picture of Jesse sitting pretty. When she sits pretty, it truly is a pathetic sight. She is very lopsided and can barely balance herself. It took us a wopping SIX MONTHS to teach her this. She learned sit, stay, wait, and down in about two days, but some of her other commands have been difficult to grasp. Well, we've had a MAJOR breakthrough! After TWO YEARS of trying, we finally understand the concept of fetch. She knows drop it and let go, but she has not understood the concept of dropping and letting go of a tennis ball. It's been more of a "come and get it" attitude. Well this week, she has finally been bringing the ball back and dropping it in front of us, then starts running out to the yard to have us throw it to her! I'm so happy, our baby has finally caught on to this concept. :o (She's really smart with some things, but others I seriously have to wonder if her doggy mommy dropped her on her head when she was born :rolleyes: )

Oh, and another thing she did tonight. I fed her dinner -- the same amount I do everyday and she ate it fine. Well about 15 minutes ago she has decided she is still hungry. She picked up her stainless steel bowl in her mouth, carried it over to me, jumped up on the couch and dropped it on my lap and started wagging her tail like "Can I have just a little bit more?" The joy they bring!

So I would love to hear of more stories on commands your pet just couldn't pick up, but made you the proudest parent when they finally did!

Puppyluv
June 1st, 2006, 08:44 PM
I tried for ages to teach Layla to push open my front gate. She just wouldn't do it, probably because I had spent so much time teaching her not to jump up on people, and pushing the gate required jumping up on the gate. Then after about 3 months of trying, I got hit by that car, and among other injuries, dislocated my shoulder.. After the first time I took her out for a walk after the accident, we got back to the gate, I unlocked it, but couldn't push it open, that's when she jumped up and opened it for the first time. I was so proud :)

glasslass
June 1st, 2006, 08:50 PM
I predict this will be a grrreat thread!

erykah1310
June 1st, 2006, 10:16 PM
As sad as this seems, I still cant get Meiko to shake hands!!!:o
Other than that he does alot of wonderful things that no one ever actually had to teach him.

Nikita!!! Well , shes kinda an interesting story, she does things that I HAVE NO IDEA who taught her. I think she was born trained! Never pulled on a leash, always walks in the heel position, she also will sit, laydown, drop it, come, and so on with just hand signals no matter how far away from me she is.
I am shocked by her!! I was going to bring her to school but really there is no reason to.

Puppy doesnt do any tricks but he comes and sits and "hush" s when we tell him. I dont expect much from him though, i have only had him for almost a year and he is here to enjoy the rest of his life being loved ( he was before, his previous owner loved him greatly, he was just afraid that he would die and Puppy wouldnt have a good home) We visit his old owner weekly ( well now he comes here cause Puppy cant get in the truck)

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 10:47 PM
lol this thread is funny. We gots dog training SKILLS!!:D

Seriously, I tried to teach Boo how to crawl a gazillion times and he never got it. Then last week, he was LAZY but needed a pet, so I made him crawl over to me and finally he did!

Cut to today, when he's outside for a quick pee, he uses his new skill to get under the new fence we bought to stop him from visiting the neighbors (he actually managed to get inside their house once). Sneaky little bugger used me!

LM1313
June 1st, 2006, 10:57 PM
My kitties just learned how to open the cupboards! I wish they hadn't learned that one, LOL!

Lissa
June 1st, 2006, 11:04 PM
After TWO YEARS of trying, we finally understand the concept of fetch. I'm so happy, our baby has finally caught on to this concept.

What a proud moment that must have been...and not just a moment but evertime she does it!:love:

The proudest I have ever been of Dodger was actually not a trick I tried to teach. The first time I was able to call him off a fresh track/hunt, he responded instantly and was just as happy to come to me as he was to hunt was when the waterworks started!

Another proud moment - in class we played a fetching game where the handlers stay behind a line and send our dogs out to fetch stange objects (plastic, metal, glass, wood etc...) Dodger completed it when retrievers and vizsla's balked!
Also, sending Dodger out to do the teeter and weave poles by himself and having him sit on sewers (a big fear) were proud moments too! Oh and being able to fetch and hold any kind of food in his mouth makes me proud too!:)

jessi76
June 2nd, 2006, 08:04 AM
When I was at a craft fair w/ Tucker, I stopped at one of the tables to look at some jewelry, and Tucker (without direction) sat right next to my leg, and just waited. even the woman at the jewelry table commented on how well behaved my dog was.... I didn't notice Tucker had sat nicely & was waiting so I said to her "who's dog? mine??" fully expecting Tucker to be off in la-la-land again... then I looked and had an OMG! moment. he just looked up at me like "der mom, I know how to wait nicely."

Now, the old Tucker would of been paws ON the craft table, knocking down items, sniffing things, jumping on people, etc... but that day it just happened, he behaved himself in public, and followed my body language without having to give commands.

SarahLynn123
June 2nd, 2006, 09:26 AM
I had been teaching the "leave it" command to my dogs and Belle has selective hearing at times:o

Belle is the fastest dog at the dog parks and she tends to out run the other dogs to steel their balls, then, to top it off, she prances in circles around them while they look so sad! One day she took off after a ball, way ahead of the dog it was intended for, and I called out "Belle, leave it" and she stopped dead in her tracks and came back!!!! I was so proud of her!

Now a not so good trick...... I taught Wolf how to scoot (pull himself across the floor on his belly) and it was cutest thing ever until the little pest started scooting under Belle, then he would stand up under her really quick, so her legs were off the ground flailing about, she'd growl then shake him off and pout all the way to her pillow! He's the biggest pest EVER!!!!

Melei'sMom
June 2nd, 2006, 10:22 AM
Melei has learned quite a few cute tricks and useful commands, but the one that makes me laugh everytime is her sneeze. about a month ago she started sneezing everytime I did. if I sneeze while she is in another room she comes running and sneezes! I have no idea why she does it, but I find it so funny:D

HunterXHunter
June 2nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Melei has learned quite a few cute tricks and useful commands, but the one that makes me laugh everytime is her sneeze. about a month ago she started sneezing everytime I did. if I sneeze while she is in another room she comes running and sneezes! I have no idea why she does it, but I find it so funny:D

Whoa! That's amazing...and it's not something you can teach either...I mean...how do you teach a dog to sneeze!? :crazy:

As for Hunter, he still has selective hearing at times too, so I'm just waiting for the day when he finally listens everytime...:p

jesse's mommy
June 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM
My old dog (RIP Snooper -- we had him put down about five years ago after 17 wonderful years) would sneeze on cue. All you had to do is make the A-Chu sound and he would do it back, then you could do it to him again and he would do it back. He would keep doing it until you stopped. I taught him that trick, but can't seem to get Jesse to do that one. Maybe she'll pick it up after another two years. :p

jawert1
June 2nd, 2006, 11:01 PM
Peaches came to us fully trained and Simon's not quite right. Try as I would, he just didn't get "sit" at all, was confused and frustrated when I'd ask him to the point that he'd go lay in the corner, so I gave up entirely (this was the same for every other command). One day, months later I asked Peaches to sit, and she did, but Simon did too at the same time. I immediately started to cry, but was praising him. It's still the only command he knows fully (tho sometimes he pretends not to hear me). "Shake" is 50/50 - sometimes he'll raise a paw, others he'll flop over. Just one of the gazillion reasons I'm glad for having both of them, she's taught him more than I ever could :)

Prin
June 2nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
lol sounds like the other pointer I know.:D

jesse's mommy
June 3rd, 2006, 06:37 AM
Jesse can't shake. :sad: We don't get it.

Prin
June 3rd, 2006, 11:00 AM
Really? I think she needs a shrink.:D I don't even know how to teach that- they just all seem to do it (then again I get older dogs, so maybe they've already been taught before they got discarded)...

jesse's mommy
June 3rd, 2006, 12:46 PM
I never had a problem teaching shake in the past. I taught it to Snooper (mentioned above), I taught it to my parents current dog, and I helped teach it to my sisters dog, but Jesse, nope, doesn't want anything to do with it. I think I've got her to do it twice and that's about it and in all honesty I think it was an accident. She really is an interesting dog. She is super smart with some things and other things she is an -- dare I say it -- an idiot. She can be such a moron at times.

PetFriendly
June 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
Charley will rather reliably listen to any child under the age of 8 or so. He'll come, sit, paw and stay. For my niece (who's just over 2 years old) he'll also get off, get up, give kisses and let go.

Charley has always liked the chase me game, as soon as he picks up something that isn't his, he'll make sure you're watching and will bolt. A few months ago after a bad day at work, he picked up a pair of socks and before he could even move, I said 'Charley, that's not yours' and he spit it out and went to lay on his bed. Since then, all you have to do is tell him what ever isn't his and he drops it and leaves it. He also looks rather embarassed if you tell him 'That's not acceptable', he hangs his head and won't make eye contact for a bit even if you didn't use anything other than a stern tone.

Prin
June 4th, 2006, 01:25 AM
, but Jesse, nope, doesn't want anything to do with it. I think I've got her to do it twice and that's about it and in all honesty I think it was an accident. She really is an interesting dog. She is super smart with some things and other things she is an -- dare I say it -- an idiot. She can be such a moron at times.ooo those dogs are the best- like Jemma- the only reason she knows how to shuffle her feet is because she just won't do anything else. I mean, when we got her she gave her paw, sat pretty and that's it. She wouldn't roll over or do any of the other "normal" tricks. It's like, "I don't do those crap tricks everybody does. Gimme something else."

So we taught her to shuffle, and to peak around a wall. Like you put her in the hallway in a sit and then go into a room and say "Peak" and she peaks her head in the room just enough so that she can see you. Oh, and I taught her "starfish" which is a 180 in the air with her legs out like a starfish.:D

But still no rolling over.:D

t.pettet
June 4th, 2006, 08:17 PM
My 'frog obcessed' Joe has learned how to smuggle small frogs into the house by concealing them in his mouth and hiding under the couch and lying on them. Inevitably they make a break for it once he's fallen asleep (or forgotten they're there) and come hoping across the living room floor where the rest of the herd give chase. My elderly aunt was visiting yesterday, sitting in the living room having tea (I was busy in kitchen) when she let out this piercing scream and spilled tea all over her dress as this little green frog proceeded to hop across the room to hide under the book case. Hilarious!

Copper'sMom
June 4th, 2006, 08:43 PM
She's really smart with some things, but others I seriously have to wonder if her doggy mommy dropped her on her head when she was born

LOL, I think it's in the breed jesse's mommy!! Copper is the same way! I call him my "special" boy!

t.pettet - that is hilarious!!! I would freak if my dogs did somethig like that! :yuck: That is sooo sneaky! lol