Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newman's Own Dog Food

MS_PAWS
June 1st, 2006, 06:42 PM
What is your opinion on this brand? I'm switching my dog to Newman's Own Dog Food she was on Pedigree when I done so much research on dog food, I new realize what's going inside my dog. I have found that a lot of dogs are allergic to Corn, Wheat, & Soy which makes them lick & have heavy stools etc

Jennifer

glasslass
June 1st, 2006, 06:56 PM
I did a quick search to find this website.

http://www.newmansownorganics.com/pet/what/

It states there is no corn, but it does list Milo, which I believe is what my Pop used to call field corn. I love that 100% profits are given to benefit animals.

glasslass
June 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM
Found this on Milo. Don't know if it would similar to corn or ok for dogs' digestion.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-50114?query=milo&ct=

LM1313
June 1st, 2006, 09:08 PM
From the ingredients list:

Chicken, Organic Barley, Organic Rice, Organic Milo, Organic Oats, Organic Ground Flax Seed . . .

So one meat followed by five grains (is rice a grain?). That doesn't sound good to me. Okay, there's no corn, but aren't oats filler too?

~LM~

SunGurl372
June 1st, 2006, 09:21 PM
Biggest issue is that the meat is a MEAT, and not a meal, so once they are done extracting the liquid from it, that chicken is going to fall well behind all those grains.

MS_PAWS
June 1st, 2006, 09:36 PM
It does have oats in it

From the ingredients list:

Chicken, Organic Barley, Organic Rice, Organic Milo, Organic Oats, Organic Ground Flax Seed . . .

So one meat followed by five grains (is rice a grain?). That doesn't sound good to me. Okay, there's no corn, but aren't oats filler too?

~LM~

rainbow
June 1st, 2006, 10:11 PM
Here's the list of ingredients from his website:

Adult Dog Formula
INGREDIENTS:

Chicken, Organic Barley, Organic Rice, Organic Milo, Organic Oats, Organic Ground Flax Seed, Chicken Meal, Organic Brown Rice, Chicken Fat (Naturally Stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid and Rosemary), Organic Carrots, Organic Potatoes, Calcium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Potassium Chloride, Kelp, Parsley, Dehydrated Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Dehydrated Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Zinc), Choline Chloride, Iron Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Iron), Vitamin E Supplement, Manganese Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Manganese), Copper Amino Acid Complex (Source of Chelated Copper), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Ascorbate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Biotin, Cobalt Proteinate (Source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Iodide, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite.

There's way too many grains IMO. Even if the first ingredient was chicken meal instead of chicken it would still be too grainy. And chicken meal is listed after all the grains. :eek:

And it also has the controversial ingredient menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite in it. :yuck:

He must think because he calls every grain plus the carrots and potatoes organic that everyone will think it's a really great dog food. :D

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
There's way too many grains IMO. Even if the first ingredient was chicken meal instead of chicken it would still be too grainy. And chicken meal is listed after all the grainsI agree. Six grains and one meat? That's pretty slim picking on the meat. I love Paul Newman, but he should really stick to human food. ;) But his canned foods look better (at least).

Oats are a filler but not as bad as corn. Some of the oat is digested whereas very little, if any, of the corn is digested. For a fiber source, oats are preferred over most of the other "usual" ones (like brewer's rice, corn, etc), but in this particular food, it's just yet another grain.

But hey, it's miles away from Pedigree.:highfive:

rainbow
June 1st, 2006, 11:44 PM
And it also has the controversial ingredient menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite in it.

Correction: They are removing this ingredient from their food. :thumbs up

Bags with a "best by date of March 3, 2007" will no longer include menadione.

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 11:50 PM
Yey Paul!!:love:

Dano_61
June 2nd, 2006, 03:49 AM
I work in a pet store and it is a chain so each store doesnt choose which brand's to carry but i will tell you we don't carry or sell alot of Newman's Own
I know the stores usually use customer demand as a measure to what to carry, so maybe the brand is not that well known yet. He does make a good salad dressing :D

mafiaprincess
June 2nd, 2006, 08:52 AM
It's well known enough that pet valu sells it. One clerk tried to push it on me... I looked at the ingredients and explained the meat vs meat meal and the load of grain. Turns out she fed it to her dogs. She switched to wellness that week. She didn't know how to read labels, but tried to help people with dog food... :eek:

My local Global petfood won't sell it due to the graininess.. I was told the manager/owner there brings in food she thinks is good, and refuses to stock lower quality food. She'd rather educate people than stock stuff she doesn't believe in.

Dano_61
June 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Hi

i work at a Pet Value, they carry a very small amout of Newman's own compared to the other brands