Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Resident Dragonfly in My Garden

glasslass
June 1st, 2006, 04:11 PM
Actually, two of them have taken up residence, both red. Later, as it was getting dark, I was watering with a hose and a whole bunch of them swarmed around me, attracted to the shower of water. I couldn't tell what color they were. I've never experienced that before and it was fascinating. Now I find I want to learn more about them.

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM
I love dragonflies. Because my skin is so white (it's almost blue), they land on me all the time. :love:

jessi76
June 1st, 2006, 04:56 PM
beautiful picture! thanks for sharing it!

I love them too! I rescue them quite often from my parent's pool during the summer ... poor things get stuck ontop of the water. So, I gently fish them out, place them on a big leaf on any nearby bush to dry out, and off they go....

chico2
June 1st, 2006, 05:04 PM
I too love them(what don't I love)they skim the pool in the summer,either to pick up little bugs or for a drink,I don't know.I usually get red ones and blue ones.
I also love butterflies and every plant I buy is a butterfly magnet,unfortunately my cats also likes them,but I try to avoid them catching any.
Here's a pic I took a couple of years ago...

glasslass
June 1st, 2006, 05:25 PM
I love Monarchs! I've gone to Pacific Grove on the coast to see them swarming on the trees.

chico2
June 1st, 2006, 05:31 PM
I do to,but we certainly don't get any swarms,they were missing for a while but seem to be making a come-back:thumbs up

Stacer
June 13th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Here's an eastern tiger swallowtail on my mother-in-law's orangeblossoms(?).
Took it this weekend. Just a fluke that it turned out so well.

chico2
June 14th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Beautiful picture:thumbs up
Since I got my digi-cam,I always keep it at hand,in case something beautiful comes along.
So far,I have only seen a couple of butterflies,but most everything in my garden is butterfly friendly.

glasslass
June 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM
That photo is calendar-quality! Love the way the wings are back-lit!

Stacer
June 14th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks, it was pure fluke it turned out like it did, I was so far away from it when I took it. I've made it the wallpaper on my computer:D Your garden looks awesome, as much of it that I can see anyways. Love the rocks and the waterfall. Do yo know what kind of dragonfly it is? The closest I can find is maybe a Streak-winged Red Skimmer or maybe a Red Skimmer, I can't tell how big it is, and I'm not sure about species in California.

glasslass
June 15th, 2006, 11:03 PM
To be honest, I know nothing about dragonflies. We bought this house in August and this is our first experience with a waterfall and fishpond. Here is a better shot of it - my first time to download a pix from my new camera. Notice the water feature we added! The bronze dog is providing a small stream of fresh water to make up for evaporation. I had to have it when I saw it!

glasslass
June 15th, 2006, 11:12 PM
This is a view in the other direction. Sorry I just took this shot and it's really the wrong time of day for a good picture.

glasslass
June 15th, 2006, 11:14 PM
And have to include this one of Corky. He wasn't happy about having to "pose"!

chico2
June 16th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Glasslass,absolutely beautiful..:thumbs up With your pond,I am sure you'll have Dragonflies,they skim our pool,I am not sure if they pick up little bugs or drink water:confused:

Stacer
June 16th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Wow, i really love your landscaping, and your "water feature" is great:D

glasslass
June 17th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Thanks! This is the patio area. The pond is behind it and doesn't show in the pix.

Frenchy
June 18th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Wow,beautiful garden glasslass!Love the picture of the dragon fly.I wouldn't have the patience to have a yard like this!Takes a lot of work.