Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

NEED another opinion. PLEASE!!!!!!!

camyam73
June 1st, 2006, 03:07 PM
I posted once before. No replies. Please, oh, please, I need some sort of Answer.

I have a one and a half y/o cockapoo. She's a delight usually, but has been sick, very sick, for several days now. Started with her being dizzy and weak, and now she's vry nauseaus, vomiting, still dizzy, and is no longer eating. She has seen the vet already. Originally she presented with a twitch in her eye, and now that's gone, also had a slight head shake, but that's gone too. Now she's just mostly dizzy and feeling ill...

Vet is now insisting is a problem with her cerebellum... one of three diferent ones... I still think we should give it a chance to see if it's an inner ear diease (which usually clears up on it's own)... There is no option of CT scan here (I live in a VERY VERY isolated area of coastal labrador)...

What should I do? Give her some steroids that might help for a short while, and then put her down cause hubby doesn't believe in surgery? Give her steroids, and have her get better, but not know if she's only better cause of the roids, or if it was just an ear infection? Or wait and see, and be a total screw up when she could have improved, but I choose not to go that route cause I disagree with the vets diagnosis???

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Camyam

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 03:11 PM
I think the only second opinion that would help is that of a neurologist. Can your vet refer you to one?

doggy lover
June 1st, 2006, 03:14 PM
Try another vet and see what they think, I never doubt what my vet says but there are some crappy vets out there.

glasslass
June 1st, 2006, 03:24 PM
I would go with getting a second opinion too. If it was one of your children, would you "wait and see"? Probably not. If it's just an ear infection, that can be treated. She's totally dependent on you to help her. Steroids may just mask the problem.

Esaunders
June 1st, 2006, 03:46 PM
I'd say its a safe bet that you have no access to a neurologist in your area as well. I sympathize

If there is another vet nearby, I'd say a second opinion is in order. If one is not, I'd phone a vet in another area, explain the situation and go from there. It can't hurt.

chico2
June 1st, 2006, 04:16 PM
Yes,I doubt there would be a neurologist nearby:sad: if it is an earinfection it will not just go away,your dog will need antibiotics.
However she sounds like a really sick little dog and you have to help her,a second opinion is definitely needed.
She can quickly go downhill if she is not eating or drinking,so please check with another vet:fingerscr

badger
June 1st, 2006, 05:28 PM
This may be completely irrelevant but I have a young cat who is just recovering from a middle ear infection, and he never lost his appetite, au contraire. If it were me, I would be on the road right now.
Either way, time to cut bait.