Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sheriff's deputy attacked by boxer

LM1313
June 1st, 2006, 02:40 PM
This was a little item in the local paper . . . The deputy went out to investigate a report of a dog chasing a woman and kid (although I would've thought that would be animal control's job?) and found a rottweiler and a boxer running loose. The boxer attacked him, ran off a little ways, then attacked him again, then ran off again. The officer confined the rottweiler and went looking for the boxer again, whereupon it attacked him again, whereupon he shot it to death.

LibbyP
June 1st, 2006, 03:27 PM
Hi LM1313, how awful for both, just goes to show everyone that EVERY dog will bite and attack, and the article - did it say anything about the mother and child or officer provoking the dog?

LM1313
June 1st, 2006, 06:32 PM
Okay, I reread the article . . . It sounds like both dogs were running loose near the highway. When the boxer attacked the first time, the officer tazered it, the dog retreated, then it attacked him again while he was leading the rottweiler to his patrol car. He fired a shot in the air which scared it off, then finished putting the rottie in the car. Then he went back to try to catch the boxer and it attacked him again. He tazered it but it continued attacking until finally he shot it. :(

Very sad for the dog, but the officer did try to defend himself nonlethally several times, so I don't blame him. They mentioned it was in Kootenai County, perhaps they don't have animal control there like Spokane County does.

I'm not sure where the mother and child fit in, as they're just mentioned in passing in the first line of the article as being the reason the officer was out there. It doesn't sound like the dogs were theirs or that they knew the dogs.