Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Will he always look funny?

erykah1310
June 1st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Mr. Floyd had a hematoma of the ear, and the swelling is gone now, but he has "cauliflower ear" now, its all shriveled and flops.
Its it possible that his ear may one day stand again??? Just be a bit disfigured?
Either way im glad its over with and i personally find the "gimpy" ear to add more character to Mr.Floyd.
Just a question none the less.

rainbow
June 1st, 2006, 02:03 PM
No idea, but I think that it would definitely just add to his character and make him more unique. :D

SunGurl372
June 1st, 2006, 03:02 PM
One of my previous dogs, a lab-akita mix with flop ears, had hematomas in both ear flaps. They swelled right up like there were golf balls in there. I took her to the vet, who advised me to have them operated on. He said that without removing the tissue, the scarring would permanently shrivel her ears.

We opted for the surgery, so we never had to deal with the other possible outcome.

erykah1310
June 1st, 2006, 03:05 PM
For Floyd they drained it out and taped them so it wouldnt get big again, even though they did this it still shriveled. Oh well, more character for my weird little cat!! :D

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 03:13 PM
It's not the draining that keeps them from shrivelling, it's the gradual draining... When my lab had it, the drain hole was open for 2 weeks and we had to keep it moist all the time. If the inside of the ear flap dries out, you get the cauliflowering. So you drain it continually and then when it's completely drained, air can't get in to dry up the remaining "juice" and the ear heals up nicely... At least that is how I understood it when it happened to my doggy.:o