Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help my dog has cancer, what to expect?

diana uhrin
June 1st, 2006, 05:59 AM
My dog was diagnosed with lymphoma, we can not afford to do a chemo or radiation. Also she is already 10 years old.
Our vet put her on prednisone. She told me that her own dog lived about 1year on prednisone, but all the articels I been reading states that she most likely only will live a few weeks.
Has anybody tried any kinds of herbs?
Also what do I expect at the end stages? I hate to have to put my dog down of course I would prefer to wake up one morning and my dog passed on peacefully.
Of course if she would suffer, I would put her down.Has anybody been in the same situation?

the gang
June 1st, 2006, 07:53 AM
hope this helps, i lost my 11yr old cocker 2 yrs ago to the same thing she lived 8 months on predone, its a band aid for the probelm it was my first time with this, but i should have put her down at 6 months, she started to smell bad inside her mouth not a good sign, i wish you nothing but the very best and doggie too, my chalsie really broke my heart.:grouphug:

doggy lover
June 1st, 2006, 08:39 AM
Sorry to hear what you are going through. I lost a dog 2 years ago to bone cancer, I knew when it was time he was in alot of pain and could not weight bare on his front foot. When I had him pts I thought it would be scary and I was scared but it was very peaceful. He just drifted off to sleep with me rubbing inside his ears and talking to him, I stood infront of him so he could only smell my scent as he passed away. I still miss him, but he too was almost 10 and surgery and the rest would have just prolonged his suffering so it was best for him. You will know when its time, when the quality of life has left them its time. My thoughts are with you.:angel:

Lucky Rescue
June 1st, 2006, 11:30 AM
As said, the prednisone is a band aid solution, but may keep your dog comfortable for awhile, unlike chemo which can give total remission lasting various lengths of time, up to years. Prednisone also can have it's own unpleasant side effects.

Also what do I expect at the end stages?

Please do not wait until the end stages, when your dog will suffer greatly. Just love and spoil her and watch for the loss of pleasures of life, like eating, playing, showing interest in surroundings. When those go, then it's time to end it.

I'm so sorry!!:(