Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Apparently Im a bad pet mom!!!

erykah1310
June 1st, 2006, 01:30 AM
Aurghhh!!!! Here is my daily rant, well weekly!
I was informed that I am "CRUEL" because I will be heading back to work soon and my dogs and cats will be home alone all day!
They will be coming in and going out as they please this summer, ( building a pen behind the "shed" attached to the house with a door for them) that will be their shelter, there is a 5 gallon of fresh water for EACH dog, and prolly the equivalent of a down payment on a house in money, amount of toys for them!!!!Not to mention the kiddie pool i am getting for them!

NO I cant hire a dog walker or anything like that for them because I am 5 miles from town!!!! my closest neighbour is 1/4 mile away and they too work.

So to all of you pet parents out there who work and have pets, We are cruel!!!!!

Im sorry that i am so unfortunate that i can t be a stay at home pet mom!!! And even if i could, i would get too bored after a while! So that said... I think i understand the "rage" some people get when someone tells them that they arent raising thier kids right.

I do know that the majority of the members leave their pets in the house while they are out, and stand firmly on that. But seriously, they will be safe, no one comes here, no "traffic" and they will have access to the porch/shed thing attached to the house. Really whats the difference in the house or there?
Here is a pic of the "shed/ porch" im talking about ,( mentally delete the car and that is where the pen will be, full length of the house.

I dont know why this got to me so bad tonite??

mom_to_many
June 1st, 2006, 02:35 AM
Ok..I guess I fit in that category as mine are ALONE for 8-9 hours while I work. My dogs are OUTSIDE in a fenced yard with fresh water and a kiddie pool, and shelter. My cats come and go as they please...yet there is food and water for them also for those 8-9 hours. Surely we do not need to hire a babysitter?! I think all of us here know what our animals are okay with on a daily basis. Sorry :o one beer to many...long week at work :p

doggy lover
June 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM
I'm sure alot of people here work and have pets and maybe they are left longer than what they say. Tucker is left for about 5 hours, sometimes when we are all at work or school, I don't think that makes us bad mothers! I think its the only way I could have ever afforded my last dogs vet bills.

erykah1310
June 1st, 2006, 12:10 PM
I understand that my hours when i am working are a little off the wall to properly give 3 dogs the attention they truely deserve and require, however, I ensure I wake up an extra hour and a half to give myself some time to "chill" with them before i head out for my 12+ hour days. Come weekends, ITS ALL ABOUT THE DOGS!!! Off to camp, out hiking, ect...
They have survived the past 3 years with me doing this, and well they have eachother for company, its not like im going to be leaving them all isolated they can play, chew , dig, what ever their little hearts desire.

I do worry bout the heat, but thats why i have decided to build this pen, at least the "shed" is cool, shady and well basically indoors.
Im still so ticked about this comment. I cant believe it, I AM CRUEL!!!!!:rolleyes:
IMO my dogs have it REALLY good compared to most country/farm dogs around here.
Perhaps not as good as some others, but they are fed, groomed, vaccinated, brought to the vet regularily and so on.

Lucky Rescue
June 1st, 2006, 12:24 PM
IMO my dogs have it REALLY good compared to most country/farm dogs around here

They sure have it better than my neighbours' dogs. These people are always home, have plenty of money and big houses, yet their dogs spend their lives in a cage in the garage and in a pen attached to a garage. One of them has NEVER EVER (in 4 years) stepped one foot on the lawn, never been in the house, never played, run or chased a ball.:mad:

I always had cats when I was working all day, but never a dog, since I lived in a apartment in the city, had a single lifestyle and decided to wait until I had time for a dog.

erykah1310
June 1st, 2006, 12:38 PM
I asked yesterday when i was informed how cruel i was , if it would be better for them to be seperated and put in shelters? Well apparenly it may be... at least they will get the individual attention they require.:eek:
Meiko has only ever known US, he has had a rough start, ( us not understanding the Border Collie breed, always been a Rottie enthusist) he has over come some SERIOUS aggression issues, and boredom induced bad habbits. I REFUSED to give up on him. It wasnt his fault I knew NOTHING. It was mine. All of his behavior issues I have always taken FULL responsibility for! I have no problem admiting I screwed up. As far as Nikita, she would be LOST without Meiko and me.
Im telling y'all, these and other comments REALLY got my panites in a bunch!!!!:o
2 people had informed me of this yesterday, one, whos dog is 120 lbs and litterally only goes outside when its time to pee. and the other, whos little dog LIVES IN HER CRATE!!!!

LM1313
June 1st, 2006, 12:44 PM
There's certainly nothing wrong with working while owning a dog! :grouphug: I think it's great that your dogs have outside access while you're gone. We always let Ebony out during the day while everyone was gone. All other things being equal, she much prefered the outdoors. The only time she wanted to be indoors was if it was raining or if people were indoors.

~LM~

rainbow
June 1st, 2006, 12:55 PM
2 people had informed me of this yesterday, one, whos dog is 120 lbs and litterally only goes outside when its time to pee. and the other, whos little dog LIVES IN HER CRATE!!!!

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what you are doing and how you look after your pets. It's a heck of alot better than these two morons. Why don't you tell them to mind their own flipping business. :D

mom_to_many
June 1st, 2006, 12:58 PM
[QUOTE=Lucky Rescue]They sure have it better than my neighbours' dogs. These people are always home, have plenty of money and big houses, yet their dogs spend their lives in a cage in the garage and in a pen attached to a garage. One of them has NEVER EVER (in 4 years) stepped one foot on the lawn, never been in the house, never played, run or chased a ball.:mad:

I have always wondered why people like that even have dogs...God knows they cannot call those poor dogs "PETS!". :sad:

dtbmnec
June 1st, 2006, 01:21 PM
People who lived just down the street of me (before I moved to the apartment) had (and still have) this beautiful Husky or Malamute. He's put out in their backyard about two or three times a week. He doesn't play, he just sits there and cries alot! I feel so sorry for him especially since it's a fairly tiny backyard!

Now I mean they could also take him on long walks and all that and I wouldn't know, but he seems so lonely. :( I now know that Huskies and Malamutes tend to be really active and will tear your house apart if they aren't excersised enough. Everytime I see the poor guy outside I want to just hug and cuddle him though.

I mean maybe they work most of the day and he's outside then for that reason (there is shelter and shady spots for the guy) or maybe they're just lazy and don't feel like walking him. I just don't know. I haven't seen him out there on rainy days, just cloudy and sunny days. He's out there in the wintertime too.

I dunno but it just seems so horrible to do that to such a beautiful dog!

Erykah: they are idiots! I'd be doing exactly the same thing as you (giving them a little indoor and outdoor area)! If I had the option to let my little boys out for a few hours at the time (closed in and fenced and stuff) I'd probably do it. Given that Leo's a barn cat and that Pawz likes the window sill here, I'd say it would be a hit for them! :)

Megan

jesse's mommy
June 1st, 2006, 06:12 PM
I must be a bad mommy too! I was held up at a few accounts today and actually didn't get to all of them and Jesse was home for 8 hours. I don't think she minded too much because all she does is sleep on the bed in our spare room, or should I say it's her room?! She is usually home no more than 6 hours, but occassionally things come up (like today) and she is home alone a bit longer -- it's called life! I don't think she would be better off in a shelter or with another family. I can't even imagine what would fly out of my mouth if someone made a comment that I was cruel! God help that person who gets me on a bad day! :evil:

Lucky Rescue
June 1st, 2006, 06:28 PM
The last dog I had, my husband and took in to save from neglect, cruelty and an ultimate trip to the SPCA. I then went back to work and our dog stayed home all day alone, sometimes for 10 hours.

Yes, I felt bad, but considering the alternative, I"m sure our dog was very happy having run of the house all day rather than being tied to a tree for 13 - 14 hours a day with no food or water and spending the nights in the garage.

I would never go and get a dog under those circumstances (working long hours) but our dog had an early morning walk, runs in the woods every night, slept in our bedroom and came with us on most of our vacations, so it wasn't too bad. We kept him until he died at 14 years old and he was NOT the easiest dog in the world, with all the baggage he carried from his former miserable life.

If anyone had told me I was cruel I would have smacked them.:p

poodletalk
June 1st, 2006, 07:55 PM
Someone left me a very rude voicemail last summer saying I was cruel. Reason: My husband and I work five days a week, some days the hours are longer then others and I go out on the week-end and she was going to report ME to the SPCA!!!!

My dog is very spoiled, she has an hour walk in the morning by hubby, I walk her about 15 minutes in the morning for her last minute pee. She has a dog walker in the afternoon, I leave the radio on for her, the patio blinds are open so she can see outside. She has the run of the house, (except for my bedroom), she has food and fresh water in her dishes. At night she goes for another hour walk!

When I go out on the week-end, I either bring her with me or I drop her off at my parents house, she can run in their backyard with their two dogs.

If that's cruelty, then report ME to the SPCA!

Lucky Rescue
June 1st, 2006, 08:43 PM
My dog is very spoiled, she has an hour walk in the morning by hubby, I walk her about 15 minutes in the morning for her last minute pee. She has a dog walker in the afternoon, I leave the radio on for her, the patio blinds are open so she can see outside. She has the run of the house, (except for my bedroom), she has food and fresh water in her dishes. At night she goes for another hour walk!

Oh you beast! How can you be so cruel?? I'll report you to the SPCA, but I'll have to hold on awhile while they laugh their heads off....:p

Luvmypit
June 2nd, 2006, 01:32 PM
I work 8 hours a day, mon to fri. Husband is a correctional officer and works 12 hours any time. So usually capone is alone 3 times a week for 8 hours, sometimes just once a week and on the odd occasion 4 - 5 times a week.

Am I cruel? Hell no. Just like the time I got advice from a couple in my neighbourhood advising me I should try a choke collar meanwhile these are the same people that got married bought two Jack Russells and then realize oh ya we wanted kids, lets throw the dogs away. Ya let me take advice from you please. Im not against choke collars if used in appropriate situations, correctly and safely but really do not give me advice when you don't research the dog you are getting and then get one that is not compatible with kids when that is one of your major plans.

we3beagles
June 10th, 2006, 03:17 AM
Where in the heck do you people live. Do you all have the largest population of busybodies on earth or what. These people obviously need to be exposed to real cases of abuse and neglect. They would get down on their knees and beg your forgiveness. If your dog is safe and happy what business is it of theirs. Yeesh!:mad:

mastifflover
June 10th, 2006, 08:57 AM
I am also one of those cruel dog owners. But I bet if our dogs could talk they would say they would rather be alone while we work than be in a cage in a shelter. Unfortunately we need to work to pay for our pets needs and I am sure like Buddy they are spoiled rotten. I know I would do anything for my boy even if it means I do without. Maybe the busybodies in your neighbourhood need a job so they have something else to talk about. Or my favorite ones who complain are the ones who don't work and still send their kids to daycare, Maybe they should look in their own backyard before talking about others.

erykah1310
June 11th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Maybe the busybodies in your neighbourhood need a job so they have something else to talk about.
Actually neither one of the complainers work, good point! I was so peeved by that comment, some people reallly should mind their own busniess.
Some people I tell yahttp://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gif