Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving- how to get cat settled

Sharon & Mike
June 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM
I just asked about how to get Sebastian's weight up, and now that he is back, I am very concerned because we are moving our home this weekend. I have heard everything from keeping them inside to buttering paws. Any suggestions on how best to get my cat settled into our new home. I just cant bear to loose him again.

badger
June 1st, 2006, 02:02 AM
Confine him in a closed room, with his stuff while you are moving so he doesn't slip out, then confine him again at the new place, preferably with a window so he can survey his new domain and won't get too bored. Let him out gradually to explore. Depending on his temperament, he'll probably be a bit rattled, but he should be OK. Butter on the paws only lasts as long as the butter!
I assume he's neutered?
Put some Rescue Remedy in his water, might make him calmer. You can get it at the health food store, some grocery stores, it's perfectly safe.

rainbow
June 1st, 2006, 12:32 PM
No need to butter his paws. Clear out one room before moving day for him and put his bed and a couple of his toys or anything that is "his". If you are getting movers put a sign on the door "Do not open door - cat inside".

When you get him to your new place put him in a room with all his stuff plus food and water. Go in and check on him periodically to re-assure him that mom's still with him.

Once you're settled in introduce him to the rest of the house gradually and let him explore under you watchful eye so he can't find a place to hide. Make sure there's no doors open for him to escape. As long as he knows you are there he should adjust fine. :pawprint: