Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Quick Update...

Writing4Fun
May 31st, 2006, 11:11 PM
Hi everyone. Just wanted to drop you all a quick note. Hubby had his operation yesterday. They removed a 'good-sized chunk' (whatever that means to a surgeon). They said the surrounding organs weren't infected, but a couple of lymph nodes looked suspicious. We won't know if chemo is necessary until the pathology report comes back. Other than that, the surgeon said it went extremely well and he's pleased with everything so far. It looks like hubby will be in the hospital for at least 5 days, more likely 7. Then he'll have a couple of months off work because he can't do any heavy lifting (which is pretty much the better part of his job). Thank goodness he has short-term disability!

Thanks again for all your support. :grouphug:

badger
June 1st, 2006, 01:08 AM
I'm glad everything went well. Fingers crossed for the path report!
Make sure he eats very good food when you do have him back with you, so important for his overall health and immunity.

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 02:23 AM
:fingerscr I hope everything turns out ok.:fingerscr

BMDLuver
June 1st, 2006, 05:32 AM
Thinking positive thoughts for you and your hubby!

doggy lover
June 1st, 2006, 08:46 AM
:fingerscr Glad to hear that your hubby is getting better, my thoughts are with you both. Take care.:grouphug:

HunterXHunter
June 1st, 2006, 08:58 AM
That's good to hear! Wish him a speedy recovery for me :fingerscr

Skryker
June 1st, 2006, 11:31 AM
I'm glad that the surgery went well, and :fingerscr for the pathology report and recovery. :grouphug: for both of you.

Jackie467
June 1st, 2006, 11:38 AM
thats wonderful that the surgury went well. I'll keep your family in my prayers.

rainbow
June 1st, 2006, 12:05 PM
Glad the surgery went well. Do hope it does not spread to the lymph nodes. :fingerscr :fingerscr Keep positive. :grouphug:

erykah1310
June 1st, 2006, 02:07 PM
SO happy to hear that the surgery went well. Lets all hope for a speedy recovery

glasslass
June 1st, 2006, 05:33 PM
Best vibes going your way. Did they indicate how long before you'll get the pathology report?

Frenchy
June 1st, 2006, 06:50 PM
Glad it went ok,I will keep sending you both good vibes :fingerscr take care.

Schwinn
June 1st, 2006, 10:33 PM
Glad to hear it sounds like it went well. A family member just had the same surgery, and our understanding was that if there was more, chances are they would have seen it during the surgery, so it sounds good. Oh, and tell him to chew gum. Apparently, it helps promote healing by passing wind. I kid you not. I just read this study that said those who chewed gum were released earlier than those who didn't. Whether it was because they were healing quicker, or the hospital was tired of them stinking up the rooms, I don't know, but whatever works!

Writing4Fun
June 2nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
LOL @ Schwinn. Actually, the nurse told us that their floor and the maternity ward are the only two places in the hospital where the nurses get excited whenever someone passes wind. :D Unfortunately, he's not allowed to chew gum.

He's currently on ice chips and popsicles, although they did allow him a glass of apple juice last night.

The doctor said he didn't see any further tumours, but a couple of lymph nodes looked 'swollen' or 'irritated' (can't remember the exact word he used). Guess we'll just have to wait for the path report, which we're expecting in a week or two.

Again, thanks for all the support. It really means a lot. :grouphug:

Golden Girls
June 2nd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Your mom was telling (u know, ur cuz) everything looked good and very hopeful so very happy to hear about this. Sending positive vibes your way.

Luvmypit
June 2nd, 2006, 01:09 PM
W4F hoping all is well and am looking forward to some more encouraging news.

God bless you and make sure to take care of yourself. :grouphug:

cpietra16
June 2nd, 2006, 01:20 PM
What great news....I wish your hubby a speedy recovery

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Well, your wishes for a speedy recovery seem to be helping. :D Hubby was released from hospital on Saturday. He was having a really hard time with the morphine - it was making him lightheaded and was bringing his oxygen levels way down. Once they took him off of it, his oxygen levels bounced right back up and he was able to walk around on his own. :thumbs up

Now comes the 'fun' part. Once he's strong enough, we start chemo. We haven't gotten the path report back yet, but the doctor said that the chance of him not needing chemo is miniscule. He said they really want to attack the cancer agressively because he's young, so they don't want to risk it coming back.

Hubby's just glad that he can finally eat real food after seven days on Jell-O and water. :p

cpietra16
June 6th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Sounds great....how long will have to have chemo...?

Skryker
June 6th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Glad he's making a speedy surgical recovery. I hope the chemo goes well. :thumbs up

Writing4Fun
June 6th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Sounds great....how long will have to have chemo...? We don't know yet. He has his follow-up with the surgeon at the beginning of July, so we'll be finding out then. I've heard that there are some new chemo drugs out there that are phenomenal. No hair loss, no nausea, you just breeze through it like you're taking Tylenol or something! Here's hoping! :fingerscr

cpietra16
June 6th, 2006, 03:27 PM
Well you sound positive and that's exactly what he needs....good luck

Lucky Rescue
June 6th, 2006, 03:36 PM
OMG - I'm so sorry for what's happening! I know exactly what you're going through.

The good news is that what your husband has is highly curable in it's early stages.

Yes, there are drugs to combat the effects of chemo, but with this kind of cancer, the chemo often has few adverse effects.

Hoping for a quick recovery and no further problems. Together you can get through this. :fingerscr

chico2
June 6th, 2006, 03:46 PM
W4F,I just wanted to add my well-wishes:fingerscr
It must have been a very scary few weeks..
But like Lucky says,this kind of cancer is very curable if caught in time.
My husband has prostate-cancer in his family and goes for check-ups regularly,something every man should do.
Lets hope chemo is not needed,but even if it is,it's a small price to pay to get well,he's such a young man,with his life and that of his young family ahead of him still.:fingerscr :fingerscr that everything will be ok:love:

Shamrock
June 6th, 2006, 04:00 PM
W4F, my thoughts and prayers go out to your hubby for a complete and speedy recovery. This surely has been a stressful time for you both, and I send my best wishes and positive energies for continued improvements, and a clean bill of health ahead!:grouphug:

AliSam
June 7th, 2006, 09:11 PM
My best wishes are being sent your way. All the best.