May 31st, 2006, 10:59 PM
Today my husband and I went to go find another dog that would suit our 1 year old Pointer Mix. We found a really sweet Lab Mix and he was just neutered yesterday.
Now I really don't want to sound stupid, but I've NEVER had a male dog EVER. So I have no clue what to expect as far as neutering goes. We brought him home today and he's just been hacking and so far has thrown up 6-7 times. There's hardly anything coming up at all.. I'm just really worried. I read in some places that it's normal for dogs to be sick after being neutered.. Is this true? I'm just really worried because I have no knowledge at all what to expect.. Not to mention that he's a new dog and I hardly know how he acts yet.
He also has some white icky stuff coming out of his nose. Is it possible that he may be sick from the anethesia and maybe has some kennel cough? And if so, is it possible for him to pass it on to my other dog? She is up to date on all of her shots including Bordetella (sp?).
Someone please help ease my mind! I can't sleep very well knowing something is wrong, especially since he's hacking and throwing up. Please help!
May 31st, 2006, 11:05 PM
I've had lots of male dogs and got them all neutered but never had any problems. I know they can get sick from the anesthesia (sp?). I would give your vet a call. :pawprint:
June 1st, 2006, 02:36 AM
The vet should have a look at the dog again for the kennel cough and be asked about the vomiting... If it is kennel cough and your other dog has had shots fairly recently (under 6 months ago), she should be ok, unless her vaccine doesn't cover this particular strain... As Rainbow said, anaesthesia can cause vomiting, but it's best to check with the vet to be sure this isn't an extreme reaction.
June 1st, 2006, 03:21 AM
Thank you both for answering.. I'm going to be taking him to the vet as soon as they open at 7am. I am absolutely exhausted and really need sleep! I'm so tired and starting to get frustrated. I've lost count of how many times he's thrown up now.. It's been hard for me to even get 5 seconds of shut eye all night. And I just don't know what to do for him..
I'm kind of upset about this in the first place because I haven't officially adopted him yet, and I am already going to have to pay all of this money to take him to the vet tomorrow and he was already slightly sick when I picked him up this morning. I'm hoping that if I choose to still adopt him (if he gets better and perks up!) that maybe they'll reimburse me.
If not, at least I helped a sick dog. He's so sweet and I'd love to keep him.
June 1st, 2006, 03:26 AM
I'm hoping that if I choose to still adopt him (if he gets better and perks up!) that maybe they'll reimburse me.
Please don't let him being sick right now deter you from adopting him. He needs you more than ever now. If you turn him down, what chance does he have that someone else will take him in?
I wouldn't expect a reimbursement if you adopt him, maybe a decreased adoption fee though. In reality, this is just the beginning of a lifetime of vet fees.
I hope he feels better soon and that the vet visit brings some helpful insight.
June 1st, 2006, 03:40 AM
I agree about trying not to let this episode affect your decision... Boo was a puker. The first two months, he threw up every night all night and cost me a fortune. He was abused, had anxiety attacks and an intolerance to chicken... Now, 4 1/2 years later, he's healthy as an ox, hasn't thrown up in months (and even then it was because he was a twit and ate things he shouldn't have), has no anxiety (almost), and very few remnants of the abuse. I am so in love with him and I'm so glad we got him. He was worth every penny and every day off work and every sleepless night. There was no way I would ever have brought him back, even if he just kept on throwing up, and I know so many people would have.
This dog has already been through so much and he's lucky to have found somebody who cares enough to worry. Even without the surgery and if he was in perfect health, there is still always a period of adjustment that can be long, depending on the dog's personality and past. If he gets passed on again, that period gets longer and he gets a little bit less trusting.
This is just the beginning. He doesn't even know you yet. He's not in the "groove".;) He'll make you love him. They all do.
June 1st, 2006, 04:55 AM
Once again, thank you for all of your replies and encouragement!
Earlier today we decided to foster him because he was just so sweet and actually had a great influence on Schatzi (the dog that we have already). We're not sure if we can keep him, but if we end up not being able to keep him permanently, we want to foster him as long as possible to prepare him for a possible future home. There's no taking him back to the shelter!
At the moment we're just very nervous about having a new dog around. We already have to cage my dog while we're gone because she likes to eat everything in sight. We're not really sure as of yet as to how we're going to work things out with him as far as when we're not home. He's been so sick that I can't really tell whether or not he's trustworthy to let loose in the house while we're gone. Not to mention that we live in a 1 bedroom apartment and having one dog is almost too much.. But we do manage and Schatzi is such a happy dog!
After meeting the new dog today, I immediately fell in love with him. He was instantly attached to me! There's no way that I was able to leave him at the shelter.. So, once we figure out what's wrong with him, maybe we can figure out whether or not we have the room, money, and the time to keep him permanently, which I still would love to do.. It just worries me seeing him be so sick. I feel so helpless..
But all of these things being said, I had a lot of trouble with Schatzi when we first got her. It was crazy trying to figure everything out and trying to get her in a stable situation. Figuring out a routine that worked for all of us. Now she's part of the family and there's no way we're giving her up. Everything flows so naturally now. Throwing another dog in the mix can be a bit crazy but I am so dedicated to helping shelter dogs that I do crazy things like lay on the floor with them all night so they won't be scared and not throw up so often.
So I really hope that everything works out and that he gets better soon! Schatzi and Henry (a name they gave him at the shelter which I'm not sure I like yet) are a great match for each other!
Sorry for my rambling.. I guess I do that when I'm exhausted and I have nothing else to do but watch the poor dog be sick.. :(
June 1st, 2006, 05:28 AM
I'm a little confused as to why you would be paying his medical bills if he's a foster dog. Shouldn't the shelter have him seen by their vet?
June 1st, 2006, 06:41 AM
The shelter does have a vet but the shelter does not open until 11am. With him vomiting all night and not eating, I'm not sure how much longer I should wait. But the vet that sees the animal at the shelter should be there by 8:00, so I might give her a call and ask her what to do. I'm clueless until I get ahold of someone..
June 1st, 2006, 08:34 AM
Hey liloaties, first off, thanks for fostering this guy, sounds as though he's had a pretty rough go of it from the outset. Secondly, I too live in a 1 bedroom apartment, and have 2 dogs. My Peaches is a German Shepherd/Chow mix and my Simon is a full English Pointer. I know too well the "go ahead and leave so I can eat everything around me and then some" behaviour they exhibit. It's more to do with their intelligence and need for mental stimulation than anything and if she behaves well in the crate when you're gone, then good :) Simon had major issues when he first came home - the least of which was a healthy dose of separation anxiety (which your girl is likely experiencing too), however, Peaches was a MAJOR help. If you keep him, you will find the two of them will wind up supporting each other in ways you didn't quite expect. The only thing I recommend is that when he's feeling better, increase their exercise together. That will help diminish some of her SA issues and will help them bond faster. Good luck, I hope this all works out for you :) :pawprint:
Oh and here's a recent picture of my 2 :
June 1st, 2006, 10:27 AM
I was wondering the same thing as BMDluver? I know here with the many, many different rescue groups/ shelters that they supply all medical $ and food. And what is he vomiting if he isn't eating? I would call the shelter, they should have an after hours # that you can reach someone, best of luck and keep us posted:fingerscr
June 1st, 2006, 11:19 AM
Im not sure but i think the origional question was about the dog hacking and puking right??
Well just an insight, Nikita hacked and puked after her spay too, she didnt want to eat and so on. I brought her to the vet 2 days after her surgery and after doing a few tests she needed anitbiotics due to an irritation from being intubated.
Apparenly some dogs get irritations from the tube during surgery. After a week she was back to her normal self.
you prolly already know what was wrong with the dog by now, none the less, thought i would inform you that i too went through a similar thing.
Hope everything is going good.
June 1st, 2006, 03:22 PM
Just to let everyone know, I called the shelter this morning and got ahold of a deputy. They came to pick him up today so that they could bring him to their vet. They seemed quite glad that I was very concerned for him.. I hope that everything is ok so that we can go pick him up tomorrow! The officer that picked him up thinks that it might be just kennel cough, but we'll see what the vet says. The shelter just called me back and said that the vet was there but hadn't seen him yet.. He should be seen soon! I would have taken care of it sooner but the shelter doesn't have an after hours number. They just gave me numbers to local emergency vets.
In response to jawert11, thank you for even more encouragement! :) Your dogs are just beautiful! It's encouraging to know that it still could work out. I'm just still debating on what to do with them both while I'm gone. Currently I only have one crate. I'm not sure whether or not I can trust the new dog outside of the crate, and definitely can't trust my girl outside of it while I'm gone. But then again I'm not sure because she's always been left completely alone. I'm really nervous about it because there is NO room at ALL for another huge crate. Like I said, the space is so limited that there's barely room for her cage. =(
June 1st, 2006, 04:24 PM
Good to hear someone came and picked him up, that'll make you feel alot better, its stressful enough to bring in a new pet not to mention a sick one hopefully your girl won't get anything:fingerscr let us know what you hear back, oh I almost forgot when they(the shelter) gave you the emerg phone # how did they leave it with you? Who would pay $ etc...?
June 1st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Hi Liloaties,just a suggestion,if don't have room for a second crate,maybe you could baby gate your bathroom?Good luck with the new pup:fingerscr
June 1st, 2006, 08:18 PM
If the bathroom is anything like the size of mine, then prolly not a great option (the rest of my apartment is way open) especially if your gang has a thing for TP like mine do (wish I understood it!). If you don't object to dog hair on the bed, try babygating the bedroom and leaving them in there. Just be certain that you leave a lot of toys (I use nylabones for Simon - takes him awhile to destroy the hardcore ones) and anything else is up and away. You can pull her crate inside and leave him free, but gated in. Try this for 15 minutes, then half an hour, then 45 minutes, then an hour to get them accustomed to the idea over the weekend. Simon used to destroy everything and then mark the whole house in all unpleasant ways until I realized he was spazzing over having too much space. Pointers are way smart and VERY attached to their humans, I suspect she's got some of the same characteristics. He may prove to be a perfect angel once he's home and feeling better, but a smaller space for the both when you're not home (rather than the whole apartment) may prove helpful and eventually both will be able to roam when you're not home (like mine do).
June 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
I called the shelter back today and they said that Henry did have kennel cough and they are treating him. He'll be on medication for 10 days. He's already been exposed to my dog the other day, but I'm really worried that my other dog will get it. I can't find my records as to whether or not she's had her Bordetella but I do believe she's had it. Do you think that they'll be ok together or is there a huge chance of her getting it?
Henry is back home with us!! He's doing great and looking much better. He's got medicene for his cough.. Schatzi didn't have the Bordetella so I took her to the vet and got one today. So far so good. Here's pictures of the furbabies!
Isn't he beautiful?
We're thinking of renaming him.. Any ideas?
They get along very well so far! =D
All 3 of my babies!
June 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
Here is some idea's for color related names for reddish browns to go with his gorgeous colouring
Mesquite - as in a type of wood
Padauk - as in a type of wood
Marzen a reddish brown German style beer
June 3rd, 2006, 02:26 PM
Beautiful furkids!Glad he's doing better :)
June 3rd, 2006, 04:09 PM
All three are beautiful,they look like one happy family,I hope you can keep Henry,he's so sweet:fingerscr
I agree with a name-change,Henry is not a nice name for a beautiful brown doggie.
June 3rd, 2006, 05:49 PM
Very handsome boys. If you get to keep him I like the name Bordeaux that OG suggested.http://bestsmileys.com/dogs/1.gif
June 4th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Glad to hear 'Henry' is doing better, oh my goodness I love the look of the two of them together, I like the name Marzen, and Rickards (dark ale) best of luck with the two of them:fingerscr
June 4th, 2006, 01:20 AM
He's adorable! So much love in his eyes! :) Congrats!
For names, I'd just make a list and whip them out and see which one he responds to most.:D (that's how Boo chose his name)
June 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Just thought I'd let you know the status on "Henry". Last night we tried all of the different possibilities of how to keep the dogs while we're gone. We didn't have a baby gate nor the money really to buy another one, so we thought we could shove Schatzi's crate in the middle of the doorway. The crate would block the doorway and he would be able to roam free in the room. AND Schatzi would still be nearby. We opened up the blinds and went outside (the sneaky parents we are) to observe what they did.
Henry tried jumping on the cage and we were afraid that he might be able to get out and eat God knows what. So.. change of plans. Then we tried letting them BOTH run loose in our room. BIG mistake. Schatzi just constantly wanted to play and they were both jumping up and down off the bed and going crazy. They weren't being mean, just a bit too aggressive and too playful for my taste.
So.. last resort.. We went back to crating Schatzi, closing the bedroom door and letting Henry run free in the bedroom with them. We also went outside and observed that. Schatzi whined quite a bit (as she always does) but Henry jumped on the bed and looked pretty relaxed. It was still possible for him to eat something up, but it was worth the try.
We went to church this morning and they were left alone for almost 2 1/2 hours. A little too long for my taste, but there was baptism today and my mom got baptised so we unfortunately had to leave them for that long for the first time.
Got back and Henry and Schatzi were both JUST fine! Gave them both treats and Henry hadn't touched anything. He probably just slept most of the time. SOOOOOO happy! So.. there's a good chance we'll be able to keep him. Still has a cough but he's getting MUCH better!
Thank you all SO much for your advice and conversing with me. It's really given me piece of mind and helped out a lot. Sorry for the long story though.. :p :pawprint:
June 4th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Every time I read Schatzi,I think of a Schatzi a German friend of miine had,but she was a Wiener-Dog(not the friend,Schatzi:D )
I am glad things are going good,Henry looks like a sweetie,hopefully you can keep him.
Please keep us posted:thumbs up
June 4th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I'm glad to see that you've found something that might work for now, thankfully the trial and error didn't go so much to the error side of things :) Also once they get a little more settled in together, you'll be able to try different things with them. Schatzi's still prolly goin "hey, play with me, you're here, you can play, c'mon, you know you wanna play!" which is what you witnessed through the window :) I hope you can keep him, I think you'll notice a difference in her too after time, tho if you do decide on both, please get them into obedience training together too. :D Good luck, great pics and keep us posted. I love the "Tail of Two Puppies" stories (being it's mine too!)