Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reeking house- how to remove urine smell?

t.pettet
May 31st, 2006, 08:58 PM
Did a house visit today to clip nails and general brush-out for 6 cats. The house just reeked of urine and the owner has tried every cleaner going to eliminate the smell. Which one works best on male cat urine and is also safe for the pets? Will pass that info on to her.

Lucky Rescue
May 31st, 2006, 09:09 PM
I"m told that Nature's Miracle does the trick. But if the urine has gone into the underpadding of carpets, might be very difficult to remove the odour.

t.pettet
May 31st, 2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks Lucky, it seems to be mostly urine spray on the baseboards and corners of walls, in closets etc. she has hardwood and tile (no carpets) throughout.

masonsmom
May 31st, 2006, 11:55 PM
Urine Off.
my now deceased cat peed in my car. tried everything and soon as i turned the heat on i knew it did not work.
urine off did the trick.

BMDLuver
June 1st, 2006, 05:40 AM
Kennel Odour Eater for cats is probably the best out there. Had a friend who had an oriental carpet... it reeeeeekkkkkkked bigtime. She took a bottle to the cleaners with her carpet and she now has a lovely carpet back. The cleaner was so impressed that he's using it now.

jawert1
June 1st, 2006, 08:43 AM
If the cats have sprayed so much that it's now soaked into the wood on the baseboard and the drywall on the walls, she has little recourse than to rip up and replace the baseboard and repaint the walls using a sealer first and then a heavy duty flat wall paint on top. My ex's mom had to do the same in their old house - a combo of indoor chain smokers (2 of em) and an unneutered male cat with a penchant for spraying.

BMDLuver
June 1st, 2006, 09:01 AM
You can wash the walls with a product called Orange TKO. I worked for a fire restoration company and we used this product and one similar to wash walls and surfaces after smoke damage.

mom_to_many
June 1st, 2006, 09:33 AM
I think I have tried everything short of Natures Miracle...(no where to be found around here) One thing I have read is that if you shampoo your carpet with hot or warm water..it spreads the urine underneath, making the spot bigger! :eek: I am sooo guilty of that!. I also read that.a good "odor eater" with enzymes injected with a needle in and around the spot is supposed to work pretty darn good. The needle is used to get to and below the pad. I used the needle on a spot with "OUT" from Wal-Mart. It helped with one of CeeCees spots.. but not completely. It may work with Natures Miracle. Worth a try!:)