Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat lost from Oakville, Ont.

Nimitz
May 31st, 2006, 08:01 PM
My black female medium-hair cat went missing 9:00 A.M. Friday May 26. She's 13 years old and weighs 8 lbs and has yellow eyes.
Her name is "Amber".

She is all black from a distance; her age shows in the scattering of white hairs on her shoulders. Right now she has a fluffy long tail.
She is micro-chipped.

This is a good forum as she may have gone a long distance from Oakville. Her first "trip away" was several years ago and she took 5 months to return. She's inquisitive and may have gotten into someone's van for the American long weekend.

t.pettet
May 31st, 2006, 09:29 PM
Why would this "inquisitive" cat even be allowed outside if she had been lost for 5 months previously?

Nimitz
June 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
I balance that risk with her quality of life. She is highly intelligent and athletic and has blossomed with being allowed out.

And when you think of it, the odds of her safely coming back in have been pretty good. The fact she proved herself to be street-wise actually bolstered my decision to continue letting her out.

I wouldn't trade what I consider to be her happiness for the anguish I am feeling now. To me it is worth it in the relationship with the cat, and ours has been a long and beautiful friendship.

Nimitz
June 23rd, 2006, 02:30 PM
I can update the state of my lost cat. Someone saw the flyer I posted in the laudramat and gave me a call. We have determined that my cat has been coming to this woman's house for food. She is likely not going to get home on her own because there is a wide creek and long bridge between me and her (she's only a 5-minute drive away so this is frustrating).

Now I need further ideas of how to catch this cat who is the world's worst, or best, escape artist. So far we have left one of her towels and her favourite food on the front windowsill. This brought her there the same night but as soon as the lady went out to look the cat took off. The next night (last night) I took over her travel cage with one of my t-shirts in it so she could put 2 and 2 together - food plus her scent plus my scent. I have also walked around that neighbourhood, calling as well as holding an open small bag of food. Then I staked out the house after the owner went inside for bed.

I think I need to keep walking around that neighbourhood either early morning or late evening when there aren't a lot of people around. She's feral on her mother's side and has reverted to that to survive - it's been 4 weeks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

badger
June 23rd, 2006, 02:54 PM
You need to get a humane trap before this goes any further. She could just up and leave one night. Some rescue groups lend them out, when I was in Ottawa, I rented one from the local pound.
On second thought, maybe you better buy one, for when your excape artist next decides to take a hike.
I'm assuming she's spayed.

Nimitz
June 23rd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the idea of a humane trap. I'll see if the humane society has one.

Her hunger might offset her cleverness at this point.

chico2
June 23rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
Nimitz,I live in Oakville and the HS will lend you a humane trap to catch her,I've borrowed birdcages(to trap a budgie,a Ringed turtle Dove)and humane traps for catching cats.
Since it is your own cat,they might charge a small fee,I don't know,but they are wonderful people.
Good Luck!!

Feral_cats
June 23rd, 2006, 06:03 PM
Nimitz . i live near and have a humane trap . PM me if you cant get one off of the HS

Nimitz
June 25th, 2006, 07:01 PM
The Humane Society's 10 cat traps have a 2-month waiting list. I am continuing to think about it as she is likely too cautious and wily to get caught in one.

One question comes to mind, especially in the area where she has been spotted. There are other outdoor cats in that area, so how many other cats would I catch before I caught the one I wanted?

I was thinking if I go that route I could place my T-shirt and her towel inside, maybe. The Humane Society told me the rest, how to bait it and cover it with a blanket, etc. You are right, they are good people.

My latest theory is she is heading toward a bridge which is shorter than the bridge she originally crossed. In the middle of the night she's quick enough she could shoot across it safely. She hasn't been sighted since this past Wednesday.

Thanks, Feral_Cats, for the offer and I will let you know if I decide.

badger
June 25th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Catching other critters in a humane trap is definitely a possibility, which is why you have to be close by when you set the trap so you can evict any unwanted guests and re-set it.

Just my 2 cents, but I wouldn't wait too long. She could get even more wiley with time, less trusting, and therefore less likely to climb in a trap. And the further she goes, less chance that she will find her way back. Of course, there are exceptions.

If you locate her again, see if you can arrange with someone to provide regular food so she is more likely to stick around. You place the food further and further into the trap, until it is past the tripping mechanism.

chico2
June 26th, 2006, 07:23 AM
I saw a black cat this morning,in a townhouse complex across the street,was thinking of yours,but I suppose black cats(I have one)are very common.
Any news??

Nimitz
June 26th, 2006, 01:06 PM
You have all been very helpful. Thanks.

As far as her present appearance, the lady who spotted her said the fluffy tail was there but she was much skinnier than the picture. The cat is really quick, and the lady also identified her meow as sounding Siamese, which is true.

badger
June 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Do not give up! Keep distributing her picture far and wide, 'this is my cat please feed her and call this number'.
I have heard of a sedative that can be mixed into food, which might slow her down. Sounds a bit risky to me, but you could ask a vet.
Crossing my fingers...

Nimitz
July 31st, 2006, 02:52 PM
Amber came home this past Saturday the 29th. In a miraculous turn of events I was starting on some errands when 2 short blocks from home I saw her resting in the gutter, pointed toward home. As this was at 11 in the morning and she was so weak she wobbled when she stood, I think she realized the risk of being seen in daylight equalled the risk of not getting home in time to receive care.

She is severely dehydrated and starved and in the emergency vet hospital, but at this point is still alive. She is in the best place she could be at this moment.

And yes, when she comes home from the hospital we will discuss being an outside cat. Certainly up until this latest disappearance she was able to handle the risks, and it has always been important to empower her as much as I could, to be able to do the fun things she finds to do outside. She knows when I mean business by the tone of my voice, and we may have to explore leash and collar as the only option; we did so for going out on the apartment balcony years ago.

chico2
July 31st, 2006, 04:54 PM
Nimitz,I am glad she's back and hope she will recover:fingerscr

I also hope you consider a HARNESS and a leash for taking her outdoors,collars are not very safe.
My cats are perfectly happy going in the backyard every day with us,without leashes,but they have learned to stay only in our fnced in back.
I would never,ever let them roam on their own,I love them too much:cat:

Nimitz
August 2nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Hi Chico2,

Yes, I meant to say "harness". She had a figure-eight harness which snapped on very easily.

I guess "to roam or not to roam" will always spark discussion. It was a risk that was manageable up until now, and she wins most of the arguments.

Her spirit got her home and it is her spirit keeping her alive now - plus regular long visits with "Mom". She's still in hospital.

Thank-you for your good wishes.

badger
August 2nd, 2006, 03:32 PM
Great news! I hope she bounces back quickly, poor baby. Two whole months. A lesson to everyone with missing cats, sometimes there are happy endings!

chico2
August 2nd, 2006, 04:39 PM
Wow Badger,I did not realize she was gone that long,she is very lucky to still be alive:sad:

Snooky'sMom
August 20th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I'm so glad you found your Amber and hope she is doing fine now. Having a special fence around your property might be an option. I've just ordered some of this fence myself and can't wait for it since I've got a Houdini cat that I have to watch like a hawk

http://www.purrfectfence.com/