Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog Q- itchy hips

melanie
January 4th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Hi all,
seasons greetings and the happiest of New Year to you and your furry friends. well my GSD girl charlie has started scratching and eating her hips. the area is just either side of the tail on her hips. she is a healthy 8yo and has a good diet. this has happened before, almost every summer and seems to only occur when the temp here reaches higher than 30 degrees c on a regular basis (it has been so hot lately, over 30 every day) the area she chews gets scabs on it, just like a grazed knee but it is under hair (not visible without lifting the hair) and the hair is still intact but it only lasts a week or two... it is definatly not mange, or allergy ect, i have checked all of these options. i have bathed her in a nice chemical free bath, and keep checking it to make sure it isnt getting worse. Now im thinking this is a type of heat rash or irritation, what do you think, (hey Luckyrescue, can you impart some of your wisdom here??) it isnt bad enough to justify medication, it is just annoying for us both, and does anyone out there have a natural recipe for a dog wash or something?? thanks all:D

Luba
January 4th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Hi Melanie

It really depends on what it is thats causing the itching.

One flea can do it you know, and usually with GSD and breeds with thick coats they usually go for rumps and bellies and hind legs.

It could have been a flea, and once the itching starts it's like a non stop thing.

If can also be from heat in the house, dry heat irritates the skin if sleeping near a heating vent.

Could be a 'hot spot' they usually go away on their own keep them clean and dry :D

Look for flea dirt. Have u given any flea treatment lately? Weather is cold and they come in on the dogs when it's cold out.

If the skin is dry give your dog some fish oil/cod liver oil capsuls
one a day should do it :D loaded with omega three fatty acids for the skin and coat.

melanie
January 4th, 2004, 05:27 PM
So Luba, are you going to go into business with LR and Carina?? I swear you people are brilliant. so it could have been a flea, although i see none she has had treatment but you know how tough those fleas are. i shall try that fish oil, she eats alot of fish but concentrated oil is worth a go. well it is very hot here outside (Australian summer), truly stinking hot. so i still think it may be a heat rash, i know dogs dont sweat so its not that. but i just dont know how else to keep her cool in this extreme weather so i could tell if it was heat rash. i keep her insde alot in summer where it is cooler and she has a special mat to lie on that goes in the freezer. I also spray her belly with cold water from a bottle during the hottest part of the day and she swims in the river daily. but almost every summer this occurs it just baffles me.
But seriously, you and LR and Carina should be writing dog books, i really apreciate all your help and advice:D

Lucky Rescue
January 4th, 2004, 06:40 PM
It could be seasonal allergies. My last dog got allergies every August like clockwork.

In humans, allergies manifest themselves with running eyes and sneezing, but in dogs and cats, allergies present with itching.

Have you taken her to the vet? You need to take your dog to the vet to find out just what is causing this.

melanie
January 4th, 2004, 06:55 PM
well in the past we have been to vets, they give us flea stuff, say she has a bite and thats it, in the past i have been told it is not allergies but who knows i will get her tested . they also offer meds but we dont do things like that here. it just seems to happen in the extreme heat of summer, i keep coming back to that point, if it was an alergy i wonder if they can come and go so fast?? and if we have a mild summer she has no probs. But i was going to pop up and see a vet later today if i can, but again it is fading and doesnt look like much, but i swear 2 days ago it was really annoying her. thanks LR, we will see how she goes and i will speak with the vet this afternoon when they open (they do farm visit in the mornings and only open in the afternoon or for emergencies). :)

melanie
January 4th, 2004, 07:22 PM
well just had a light bulb moment, how does hot spots sound?? it is apparently common in GSD due to the wooly undercoat. just from all descriptions ect it truly sound like her condition, and it also explains the summer thing. it is very common in extrememy hot weather and esp if the dog swims often. it is basically where the hair and skin have retained moisture (even if it isnt seen or felt) and creates an irritation. so i am still going to the vet but now i think i know what it is so hopefully can get it fixed. apparently there are natural products, there is one that is made up of lavender, pepermint and tea tree oil, i will check it out.:D

Luba
January 4th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Melanie you're a dear (hugs) thx for the compliment :D

Oh so you have hot weather, does that mean things are in full swing being pollenated?

If so then yup I agree with LR (I like that clockwork thing LR) Rusty was the same way!

September came and that was it, itch syndrome began BUT actually the fish oil always worked for him.

melanie
January 4th, 2004, 09:50 PM
just went to the vet, he said i was right:D (I love being the detective vet, and getting it right also, who would have thought....) it is definatly hot spots. just alot of humidity going on under that coat. easy to treat though, scrub her hips with salt water to dry it out and just keep the spot dry, he did suggest shaving the spot but that would make her itch like crazy so we wont do that. but we will dry it out ect. so yay, problem solved.