Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any Beagles lovers out there?

kspj2
May 31st, 2006, 11:32 AM
I have a 6 month old male Beagle name Bailey and would like some input from anyone about their Beagles and what kind food they eat and etc.

SnowDancer
May 31st, 2006, 01:28 PM
I had a Beagle many years ago - and there are members who have Beagles who will respond once they see your post. But re food - the bottom line is that they will eat EVERYTHING and anything. Nothing is safe. If they can't reach it on the counter or if the cupboard is too high, if you have an accommodating kitty they may well work together to each other's mutual benefit. I thought Beagles were first in the gourmand chain - until he was followed by our mini-Dachshunds. Now they were the gourmets of gourmands. Our Eskimo is no slouch either - very food motivated - but Eskies have more sensitive stomachs - well actually, many dogs seem to have more sensitive stomachs these days. Our Beagle died at age 19 1/2 in 1986 - he weighed about 25 lbs. - so was around before so much tinkering with genetics started. I am sure you are aware by now that your adorable Beagle is a handful! Got to love hounds.

BuddysMommy
May 31st, 2006, 02:22 PM
I have a 6 yr old beagle named Buddy.. Hence my nickname...LOL Buddy is a very pampered doggie..He loves to go for walkies with "mommy".. when my Bf & I are getting dressed or putting on our shoes Buddy gets all excited but learns that we are NOT taking him "out" so he feels left out & starts to whine & bark just after we leave the house....He constantly wants to be petted no matter where u are.. if one of us moves out of our chair he goes & "steals it" then "grins" about the fact he "stole" the chair... He loves to be wrapped up as well... so all in all hes a good doggie when he wants to be....We also have a kitty named Snowball & they are the best of friends.. Buddy will eat anything he can get his paws on.. of course he has his"accomplice Snowball" to help him get what he wants...LOL
A Beagle Lover for Life

Cathy aka BuddysMommy:ca: :D

Sept13th
June 25th, 2006, 06:05 AM
I am not a Beagle owner yet, but I will be this Friday and I am very excited. My boyfriend and I chose to get one from a breeder and she has told us alot about what to expect.
I know quite a few people who own Beagles and they absolutely adore them, even though they have gotten up to mischief -e.g. eating Easter Eggs :D

I can't wait to bring the little guy home. He is a little cutie :thumbs up

Kspj2, do you have posted any pics of your Beagle? Our breeder gave us a Diet sheet for Beagles for it's different ages- at 6 months it says to feed him mince (cooked or raw) or chicken (raw)- and to sometimes add rice. Also veges like carrot :) hope this helps

we3beagles
June 26th, 2006, 02:33 PM
I own 3 beagles and foster lots more. They will in fact eat anything, but the question is how much scooping do you want to do. Crap in Crap out I say. My dogs are all on Innova EVO and do really well on it. It is pretty high end stuff and you can't get it in pet stores here I have to get it from the vet. They are obviously my very favorite breed.
They cannot be trained harshly and reward training is the best so far. They will do you taxes for a treat. Watch them constantly at that age. I have lost a lot of drywall, linoleum, etc. You will probably get another one if you spend any amount of time away from him. They love companionship and need someone around all the time. They want to be near you and love you unconditionally. Spoil him rotten.:)

Congrats Sept.13 on your new arrival.