Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Study compares USA/Canadian health

Rick C
May 31st, 2006, 08:47 AM
There has been interest in this topic in other threads so . . . . . . a new study finds:

Americans are 42 percent more likely than Canadians to have diabetes, 32 percent more likely to have high blood pressure, and 12 percent more likely to have arthritis, Harvard Medical School researchers found.

Access to healthcare is also noted in the story.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/HEALTH/05/30/healthier.canadians.ap/index.html

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

jawert1
May 31st, 2006, 09:20 AM
Not surprising at all, and when you consider that in conjunction with the article about US residents having the least amount of patience worldwide, it's not a shock that our health as a people is down the drain.

Rick C
May 31st, 2006, 09:59 AM
Not surprising at all, and when you consider that in conjunction with the article about US residents having the least amount of patience worldwide, it's not a shock that our health as a people is down the drain.

I found that headline paragraph I posted above, however, somewhat worthy of the Homer Simpson description of statistics.

When you look at the actual numbers further into the story:

The new study found that 6.7 percent of Americans and 4.7 percent of Canadians reported having diabetes; 18.3 percent and 13.9 percent, respectively, reported having high blood pressure; and 17.9 percent and 16.0 percent said they had arthritis.

So, 42% more likely to have diabetes means that 6.7% of Americans have it versus 4.7% of Canadians.

Its a difference, but 42% doesn't do the difference justice.

Are the differences an issue of lifestyle or an issue of healthcare?

Cowperson

jawert1
May 31st, 2006, 12:57 PM
Probably a bit of both I would wager, though it also doesn't say what the geographical reference was (i.e. rural vs. suburban vs. urban) or if the sample was random enough. Still and all, we're in pitiful shape :/