Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ellie not eating

mollell
May 31st, 2006, 07:58 AM
This is my story about Ellie. Hope you all can help. About a month and a half ago my other boxer Molly was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on medication. When this happened I decided to research better food and nutrition for my dogs. On the advice of the pet store owner I purchased Evo they loved it, but I thought it was very high in protein. So, back to the store and came home with Innova Large Breed. Ellie ate it for a few days and then started to turn her nose up at it. So now I would top dress their food with just a tiny bit of Evo (since they really like it). Ellie started to not eat, then she would have two good days and one bad. Won't get out of bed in the morning to go outside. Stands on the back porch and comes back inside or lays down in the grass. Very depressed. Thought she too had a thyroid problem too so off to the veterinarian we go. Did a whole blood work-up and examination and the results were all normal. (she had lost 2 pounds) Dr. said most likely food allergies. Back to the pet store and after talking with the lady she suggested Natural Balance Duck and Potato. Ellie ate it one day. So I started to add just a small amount of cooked ground beef. that was fine for two days, then she vomited and had loose stools. Immediately took her to the vet this past Monday. Did xrays and a barium. The results are inconclusive! Her stomach wall was slightly thickened. Said it was probably because of her vomiting. (she has vomited twice in two weeks) Dr. recommended Hills I/D diet which she will not eat. I gave her a pepcid AC just yesterday and she ate a tiny bit of dinner and a biscuit. The next step will be to go to the Guelph Veterinary College for a scope. I know she wants to eat, she whines for her biscuits but just will not take it. Today I will be boiling chicken for her. I know she will eat that. Sorry for going on and on, but any suggestions would be great. Let me know if you need any other info as I can go on forever. Thanks in advance for your help and ideas.
Joanne

SnowDancer
May 31st, 2006, 09:02 AM
Going to Guelph is most definitely a good idea. Have you checked any Boxer specific forums? My dog's groomer has had Boxer's for years and I know most have suffered from similar problems. Hope Guelph can help you.

mollell
May 31st, 2006, 09:16 AM
Snowdancer - No, this is the only forum I have been visiting. Could you recommend some others for me. thanks

SnowDancer
May 31st, 2006, 09:25 AM
There is a Boxer forum - www.boxerworld.com. It is Boxer specific. Don't know if it will have information you are looking for, but I lurk on an Eskimo specific board and have found many useful bits of info that explain some of my Eskie's traits and also addresses potential health concerns for Eskies. If you do a search you will probably find someone who has a Boxer who has experienced same problems as you are having. Hope you get an appointment at Guelph soon - love those doctors at small animal clinic - although not the midnight run from Toronto for emergency surgery.

phoenix
May 31st, 2006, 03:36 PM
yes you might find help on boxerworld if it is breed specific. So sorry about your dog. Boiled chicken (and maybe rice?) should be easy on her stomach.

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 03:02 AM
Why do you add things? It just seems everything is going ok and then you add things and then they stop being ok. For now, I'd get one food that the dogs like and then stick to that food only. No adding anything until it's all sorted out. JMO.

phoenix
June 1st, 2006, 06:18 AM
prin it sounds like ellie stops eating and then to tempt her, she adds things to the food. The dog is losing weight.

mollell
June 1st, 2006, 07:24 AM
Phoenix, that was my intention. I just hated to see her sniff her food and walk away. Prin, I was just beside myself not knowing what to do, and what was okay to give her. But now I have been sticking to the Potato and Duck diet since last Wednesday (the 24th). (only tried the ID diet once) I boiled chicken and rice last night and gave her some with the broth from the pot. It took a while but she picked through her bowl til all the chicken was gone. She has had a slight increase in energy lately and I think it might be that I am getting some good food into her that does not upset her tummy. She jumps off the couch now when cars come in the drive and wags her whole body and grins. She has a big long rope that she drags around outside waiting for someone to play and she has been picking up her rope with a little more excitement. These changes are very slight, but so far I am happy.
Should I consider some plain yogurt? Last night her stool was pretty normal. Just a little loose at the end.

OntarioGreys
June 1st, 2006, 09:26 AM
As long as she is doing good on the Duck and Potato , I would not add anything that could cause her to become fussy and picky, yogurt could upset her tummy if she is lactose intolerant, It can take a month or so for a dog to adjust to a new food, so I would not worry about the stools too much right now, as long as it is not watery - to pudding consistency through out, she is fine

Prin
June 1st, 2006, 03:10 PM
ok... I wouldn't add anything for a bit, just to level out her system and keep her from becoming picky.

:o Sorry about my previous post, I got confused by the order of things, like here:
Ellie ate it one day. So I started to add just a small amount of cooked ground beef.

mollell
June 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
It has been very hard to send an update about Ellie, as the outcome has been devastating to our family. I took her to OVC in Guelph on June 5th as she had stopped eating and drinking the day before. Went through a battery of test that all were normal. Blood was fine, heart was fine, no addison's etc. Did a scope on Wednesday the 7th. I received the pathology report on Friday the 9th and the diagnosis was horrible, her stomach and intestines had multiple round cell tumors. Her survival was 2-3 months. She came home and by Sunday had refused to eat and drink again and I could not watch my poor girl suffer another minute. Our family made the hardest decision ever on Monday, June 12th. Love you always Ellie.

technodoll
June 19th, 2006, 11:40 AM
oh... :sorry: that is sooo sad. RIP ellie....

LibbyP
June 19th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I too am very sorry for your loss:grouphug: , you made the hardest but in the end the best decision possible. Just think now she is waiting to play with Molly again when her time comes:angel: