Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog has lymphosarcoma

diana uhrin
May 31st, 2006, 06:36 AM
Hi my dog just got diagnosed with lymphosarcoma, the vet recommended to do a treatment with prednisone which we already started. Has anybody else done this treatment? How did it work out for you?
Does anybody know of a herbal remedy they have tried? I know that my dog will eventually get worst and we have to put her down, but I would like to make her last weeks or months as comfortable as possible. Our dog is 11years old. We can not afford to do chemo or radiation.
Any advise?
Thank you

sways_bodyguard
June 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM
:fingerscr
my thoughts are with you guys, and i hope that your dog has alot of quality life left!!!
i think prednisone definately offers relief to the animal in the short term but its more looked at as a bandaid type of medication for something like that...
im not sure tho, there is a couple relative threads on the same front page here about the medication,

Lucky Rescue
June 1st, 2006, 06:02 PM
You already posted this in another thread. People responded, but there is no cure and no herbs that will do anything.:(

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27308

Lizablue22
June 2nd, 2006, 11:34 PM
We just lost our dog to the same disease, and I really feel for you. But prednazone made such a difference to her last couple of months...she was happy and hungry and running around as usual until close to the end.
One thing our vet said that we kept remembering was "this is the time to spoil your dog". We just loved her and did everything possible to make her happy...and she was. It was good advice.

mycat
June 3rd, 2006, 01:05 AM
Please read this page to see if it helps:

http://www.charlesloopsdvm.com/cancer.htm

Sara1954
June 3rd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Hi my dog just got diagnosed with lymphosarcoma, the vet recommended to do a treatment with prednisone which we already started. Has anybody else done this treatment? How did it work out for you?
Does anybody know of a herbal remedy they have tried? I know that my dog will eventually get worst and we have to put her down, but I would like to make her last weeks or months as comfortable as possible. Our dog is 11years old. We can not afford to do chemo or radiation.
Any advise?
Thank you

2 weeks ago my dog Teddy lost his battle with Lymphoma. he had a massive lump under his neck and the vet found more on other parts of his body. The biopsy came back as the worst form of the disease. I was so worried he was only 8. The doctor also perscribed prednizone, 2 doses of 25 mg per day. He was an 80 pound dog. Rott/Sheppard mix. It made the lumps disappear almost overnight. He was thirsty thou and he panted quite alot. The doc thought that the cancer may have spread to his lungs. The doctor gave him a max of 6 months. He lasted 6 weeks. He always seemed hungry on the medication but it seemed to make him better for the time being. We eventually reduced the dosage to once a day 25 mg and he was fine with that as well. We have a summer place in the mountains so he was up there his last week. He died in his sleep on May 17th 2006. We buried him on our land under a big tree. He had quality of life to the end and ate a huge supper the night before and went for one of his long walks with my husband.
All I can say is that the time you have with your wonderful dog should be spent making him as comfortable as possible. As a side note. The Vet never suggested that chemo or any other treatment would pay off in the end..so we chose to let him be as comfortable as possible. My heart goes out to you.