Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Transportation issues

erykah1310
May 30th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I know i am prolly gonna get blasted for this one, but thats all part of asking certain questions on this site :o

K , most of y'all know i have 3 dogs, Large ones too. I take the dogs almost everywhere with me and so on! Now, clearly i didnt think to hard on this sitiation before getting myself into it.
I sold my car ( cause it was almost dead) and baught a truck, NOW , its not a full size truck, its just a little Ford Ranger, it has flare sides ( so hardly any room in the box)
There is going to come a time when i have to trasport the dogs all together. I am NEVER going to find a truck cap that will properly fit the box. I dont like to travel with the dogs in the box free. Our trips to camp the last 2 days, Kita and Meik were in the box. ( didnt built steps for Puppy yet)
I have though about getting crates, however i cant fit 3 of them in that truck:confused:
I could put one dog in the front seat ( only a 2 seater) but none the less 2 crates wont fit either!!
I kinda ****** myself here!!!
HELP!!!!!

Prin
May 30th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Rent a car...:D

erykah1310
May 30th, 2006, 11:40 PM
LOL, could be that easy!! But isnt!!:o
I am searching for a better way BEFORE the situation comes up!
as i said i have been taking them to camp ( 10 minute ride from home all dirt roads VERY VERY VERY slowly) in the box so they could swim. I wont venture on the highway like this though. I see it too much and it scares me!

Prin
May 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM
When I doggy sat and had 3 dogs, I put them all in the car with me... How big are these dogs? They won't all fit in the cab with seatbelts on? Or 2 in the cab and one in the back?

erykah1310
May 30th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Nope, wont fit in the cab. There is barely room for Kita (80 lbs) only one spare seat.
Puppy couldnt actually get into the cab if his life depended on it ( this scares the **** outta me, cause he does have failing health 170 lbs)
and then Meiko, he would be fine in the cab with me (45 lbs)

I think i am going to have to look for another car. I have a Camaro too but almost the same situation ( no one fits in it) back seats are down permanently

Need a station wagon:o

erykah1310
May 30th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Heres a pic of the little truck im talking about.
Its TINY

BMDLuver
May 31st, 2006, 06:35 AM
hmmmm... tricky..

How about a huge crate that fits the back with both dogs in it? I'm not really an advocate of dog's travelling in the box of a vehicle but if they were crated then perhaps it would be a bit safer? Of course, if you get rear ended, won't really matter crate or no crate but that's pretty well the same deal for a station wagon or a truck with a cap.

Definitely a dilema for sure.

SnowDancer
May 31st, 2006, 09:05 AM
Have you looked into the Nylabone crates that collapse? My Eskie has crate fear so he isn't crated, but I did read a discussion of crates on another board and a person with space problems uses these to travel with his dogs as apparently the interior space is the same as the Vari kennels he usually uses. Might still be too big, but maybe worth looking in to.

HunterXHunter
May 31st, 2006, 11:31 AM
How about a custom cage? The only downside would be that it's permanently welded on...

It would look something like this...:p

OntarioGreys
May 31st, 2006, 11:40 AM
My suggestion would be to see if you can sell it privately and then with the proceeds by a used van.

For my doggy vehicle I have a 1995 Ford Aerostar extended van with AWD I have almost 250,000km on it and it is still running great and a yahama big bear ATV or john deere lawen tractor fits inside the back with the rear seat removed, for my 3 dogs in the back lots of room with the rear seat still in. and lots of window space for the dog decals :pawprint: because it's AWD it makes a great winter vehicle, I picked mine up for $2000 and have been driving it for a year and half http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/other%20images/P1010028.jpg

erykah1310
May 31st, 2006, 11:57 AM
Actually Hunter, thats a GREAT idea, Instead of welding it however I could get some "clips" installed, OR!!!
My uncle has a rack, that fits his Ranger, with a few Modification, ( welding some cage to it and re-welding the bars to fit my truck) It just might work!!!
THANKS!!!
Im calling around now!!

My suggestion would be to see if you can sell it privately and then with the proceeds by a used van.
Not a van person at all! I have picky taste and well minivans (great vehicles for some) are just not for me!
I dread the day Ihave children (more than one) and have to move away from "sporty" vehicles. I still maintain that i will be driving either a Blazer or Yukon or something along those lines, when that day comes.

If the rack thing doesnt work out, then i will be looking for another cheap car just to have incase more than one person needs to come with me in the winter. (Or the dogs have appointments) Should have kept my Sunbird:confused:

Thanks for the suggestions!!!! And thanks for not making a big deal about the dogs being in the box of the truck ( I really dont like the idea either:sorry: )

rainbow
May 31st, 2006, 02:00 PM
I'm sure something like that will work. When we moved from the northwest corner of BC to the southeast corner of BC we had a dog cage made for us out of chain link fencing. It was made to fit exactly into the back of our 1/2 ton. We put a tarp over the top and it worked great.

meb999
May 31st, 2006, 02:43 PM
How about a custom cage? The only downside would be that it's permanently welded on...

It would look something like this...:p

LOL! As I was reading the thread I thought of that : a custom cage...I would have never thought of drawing one up though :D

phoenix
May 31st, 2006, 02:56 PM
Ontario Greys you might want to take that picture down and black out the licence plate... just a warning...

I also dreaded the day i would have a van... so I got a Hyundai Tucson instead. Roomy, sport/suv but good on gas, small on the outside... fits my two puppies perfectly in the back seat with room for luggage in the back, or I can drop the seats for even more room.

Schwinn
May 31st, 2006, 03:02 PM
I just recently got rid of my second Ranger (*sniff* the RED RANGER), and you can get a cap that is built for the flare side box. Some look quite attractive.

Oh, and I had to get rid of it because of child, and I too refused to get a van. Now I drive a sport-cute, and the wife drives a Mazda5 (it's not a van...it's a station wagon with sliding doors!!)

rainbow
May 31st, 2006, 03:31 PM
Ontario Greys you might want to take that picture down and black out the licence plate... just a warning...

I also dreaded the day i would have a van... so I got a Hyundai Tucson instead. Roomy, sport/suv but good on gas, small on the outside... fits my two puppies perfectly in the back seat with room for luggage in the back, or I can drop the seats for even more room.

Phoenix, how big are your dogs?

Frenchy
May 31st, 2006, 06:54 PM
I had to buy another car not long ago when I decided to keep Sam (third golden) since I work for Ford,I didn't have too many options.I bought a used 2002 Focus station wagon.If I fold down the back seats,I can fit 4 goldens,woohoo!!And it's cheap on the gas too.