Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heat stroke/exhaustion signs

erykah1310
May 30th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Hi everyone, just wondering if there are signs of heat stroke for dogs and cats.
I dont think that mine have it but I would like to know what to watch out for if we are on an "adventure" outside!
With the weather being as crazy as it is already at the end of May, I feel its gonna be another scorcher of a summer again!
Any tips would be greatly appreciated
( we try not to go out when its hot like this, no walks, fetch or work for Meiko when its this hot! Just a heads up that i am not working the dogs )

Prin
May 30th, 2006, 11:17 PM
First panting and breathing heavy (this is past when you should stop all activity). By then also the ears and feet get really hot, and those and the tongue and gums etc get really red (trying to dispell heat). Then I've read that the saliva gets thicker and the dog can start to vomit. At this point, the body temp is increasing... And it just gets worse and worse from there.:eek:

Being that I have two black dogs with thick fur, I am so careful about this. With Jemma, the minute her tongue passes her teeth, we stop playing. At that point, I know she is too hot. Boo has a better ability to cool down, but he also is less nuts and doesn't like playing in the heat much. With him, it's the rate of his breathing. He doesn't pant with his tongue out at all, so I can't judge by that.

Either way, if they look too hot to me, I hose them down or bring them into the AC...

erykah1310
May 30th, 2006, 11:25 PM
For Meiko, he doesnt pant a whole lot, especially if he is playing or actually doing anything that requires his attention. He passed out on us once when he was young. We went to the vet and they didnt have an answer at first but about a year later when he did it a few more times, he has been diagnosed with Excersise induced collapse, for him i just make him stop every few minutes and lay down for a while, ( hes accustomed to his routine now)

Nikita on the other hand, her tounge is ALWAYS hanging out a mile, summer winter fall and spring, she has amazing endurance and doesnt show much signs of being tired. So I stop her when i stop Meiko

Puppy is not an active dog (really overweight still) he always seems so exhausted especially the last 2 days, I have been keeping him in the house and hosing him down too.
Im just worried that he gets heat stroke.
Thanks for the warning signs Prin

OntarioGreys
May 31st, 2006, 08:34 AM
I have one dog that overheats due to stress, she has hit a stages at one point where it became life threatening as she was no longer able to cool herself done.

The signs I noticed is when the panting changes becomes very fast and shallow, the dog will look distressed and appeared ill looking, if the internal body temperature get to high seizures or coma can occur, since she would not get up I went and she is a big dog, instead of trying to carry her to the bathtub, I grabbed a bunch of towels, and soaked the in cold water, and then wrapped some around her chest, some on the neck and throat, between the hind legs and worked on soaking the feet with the towels, it took about 20 minutes to get her temp down using a thermometer, afterward she slept for an hour then I woke her up and took her outside for a pee break, I made sure she was drinking by adding a low sodium beef broth to her water and watched her urine for colour changes afterward particularly rusty color Hers had started because she is terrified of people and we had just been to the vet which stressed her out prior to this, so in my case I did the first aid at home and monitered her for signs of complications rather than rush her back to the vet, I had everything set nearby to be ready to rush her back to the vet and had already place a call to the vet for advice to possibly expect us in in case there were problems.

But for anyone else I would recommend, if you think your dog has heat exhaustion or heatstroke even if they are seizing start by soaking the dog down in cold water once that is done then head to the vets to have the dog checked out as over heating can damage the brain and internal organs. It is important to start cooling down the dog right away as the dog otherwise the dog internal body temperature will climb and they could die before you make it to the vet.

Greyhounds because of the low body fat are very susceptible to heatstroke
so there is an article here that discussed heatstroke symptoms and what to do in the event. This can be helpful for anyone that has a dog so they know what to watch for and what to do if they suspect
http://www.gcnm.org/heatnews.html