Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lactating female dog

Gundylein
May 30th, 2006, 08:23 PM
hello all

I am new here and searched the net for an answer. My female dog, Lady, has milk in her teats. My male dog was too young when Lady was in heat and I kept her inside the whole time. Is there any other reason for her to have milk, other than being pregnant? She had two litters already. 13 the first time and 12 the second time. Lady is 6 yrs old, Boomer is now just a yr old. At what age can a male dog get a female dog pregnant?

I know I sound dumb, but I really don't know.

coppperbelle
May 30th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I don't know the exact age a male can impregnate a female but I am certain that at 1 year old he is able to. Chances are she is pregnant again. She should be seen by a vet and at the same time inquire about having her spayed, please.

mafiaprincess
May 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM
At 6 months old it's quite probable.. at a year, beyond likely.

rainbow
May 30th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Yes, it is likely that Lady is pregnant. Please get her spayed and get Boomer neutered. :pawprint:

Prin
May 30th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Yes, it is likely that Lady is pregnant. Please get her spayed and get Boomer neutered. :pawprint:
Agreed. Please, please do.

Gundylein
May 30th, 2006, 11:50 PM
I hope she isn't pregnant again. I found Boomer when he was just a puppy and took him home. When Lady was in heat Boomer wasn't a year old. Or at least I think he wasn't. I was going to get her fixed but I just didn't and still don't have the money. She isn't showing at all like she did with her two litters. Is there a place where you can get help if you want your pet fixed?

LM1313
May 31st, 2006, 12:25 AM
Some places have free or low cost spay/neuter clinics. If you check at your local animal shelter, they may be able to direct you to one or even give you a voucher to pay for/help pay for the costs at a regular vet. (One of our shelters does that.)

~LM~

mafiaprincess
May 31st, 2006, 12:49 AM
Really not trying to be mean..

If you can't afford to spay her, what would you do if she needed an emergency c-section if labour wasn't going well. I know you say she's had litters before, but there's always a first time for something problematic to happen.

I hope this works out for you.

erykah1310
May 31st, 2006, 01:01 AM
How long ago was she in heat??
My Rottie (RIP gurl) lactated after her heat cycle without being preggo.
I would bring her in to the vet asap, get her spayed now. As long as she isnt TOO far into a pregnancy.

schnorkiemom
May 31st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Contact your local county health department - Mine offered no cost spaying for my two pups (value of 145 each!). Not many people would think the health department would offering services for animal control other than the local humane society. Check it out and good luck!