Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Our Latest Case

JenSteele
May 30th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Hi Everyone!

Sorry we've been a bit scarce. Sandra and I have been working diligently helping other people with everything from general questions to helping people organize their evidence to snapping proper photos and appearing and testifying for owners. Nope - we haven't lost one yet.

Sandra just finished helping win yet another case against the KWHS and a week later we have another one ---

The Dog below, ROCKY, we know is a Great Dane cross - The KWHS contends that he is a pit-bull despite very loose soft fur, a very skinny body, and a bouncy gait. We'd appreciate your best guess at what you think the other breed could be. Rocky lost his first case, then his case was appealled to city council and now it's going back to be heard again at the Dog Designation Appeals Committee in 2 weeks - with the entire City Council Sitting in. Hopefully and finally the city council will see how poorly trained the KWHS is in any kind of dog designation.

Thanks in advance!!!

dtbmnec
May 30th, 2006, 05:00 PM
I thought pit bulls were short and fat like....I thought the biggest "issue" with them was the locking jaw and that was why so many people are against them?

Maybe I'm on crack...

Looks like a wonderful dog and he doesn't look like he'd hurt a fly....unless provoked....almost looks like if he was trained for it he could be a police dog (the look anyway....not so sure about all the requirements otherwise) Heck even if he was trained to just bark at ya but not touch you I'd be running (if I was doing something wrong of course) On the other side of the coin I can see him being the most cuddly dog too.....one of those ones who still think he's a puppy even though he's like 4 times your weight! lol

Hope all goes well!

Megan

JenSteele
May 30th, 2006, 05:07 PM
The locking jaw is a complete myth. There is no breed of dog who's jaw locks. Check out www.savinglily.com - we have the testimony from a Georgia professor about that that myth on the site.

Yep Rocky is a sweetheart. Rocky is 9 years old and a big ol scardy cat : ) Very very well trained dog.

LM1313
May 30th, 2006, 05:17 PM
The jaws don't literally "lock", it's just that pit bulls have strong jaws and are very tenacious . . . They were bred to clamp onto a bull's nose and not let go no matter how much it tossed its head, and you can imagine the type of strength and bravery that required!

Anyway . . . I'm no pittie expert, but Rocky doesn't look like a pit bull mix to me. I mean, he's too tall, isn't he? And not blocky enough? I see a whole lot of great dane in him, though.

~LM~

divinecalamity
May 30th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Honestly, I would have guessed pitbull cross...sorry, I knoe that doesn't help. He looks on the tall side and leggy, so I see the great dane behind the cross...maybe there is boxer? boxer dane? I think it is tough cause so many breeds can look similar when crossed...stupid BSL

dtbmnec
May 30th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Ahh thanks for letting me know...

I can't say I know a whole lot about this issue and I sure don't know all the different dog breeds but I do know that this ban on pit bulls is (would really like to insert a few choice words but this'll have to do) stupid. Oh and what's BSL? I seemed to have missed the translation of that one...

It all depends on the owner and the environment doesn't it? I mean if the dog (any dog) has been brought up in a hell hole and trained to be agressive when someone is near then wouldn't the dog be more inclined to attack? It also depends on what the victim of the attack was doing too (I'm sure there are a few stories out there where some kid's broken into a yard/house and been bitten and then the kid wins over the dog even though he was committing a crime at the time) and how they approach the dog. Depends on the training....definately depends on genetics....

Then again I guess I'm thinking and have common sense....something most people seem to lack (and in abundance!). I mean did you seriously not think that if you move at any animal in a threatening way they wouldn't attack? Did you people actually not realise that the coffee from Tim Horton's is HOT?

You know I think I'm gonna start some common sense for people classes...maybe that'll solve some problems....who's with me? :p

Please feel free to correct me if any of this is wrong too....

Megan

Watchdog
May 30th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I dont see any pitbull in the dog.Its way,way off the breed standard of anything from the pitbull family. My guess would be a Cane Corso.

lezzpezz
May 30th, 2006, 05:59 PM
"Oh and what's BSL? I seemed to have missed the translation of that one..."

Breed Specific Legislation, Bill 132 = total BS, and I think you know what THAT one means:p

Frenchy
May 30th, 2006, 06:04 PM
What a beauty,don't see any pitbull in that dog.I second the boxer/dane cross.

jesse's mommy
May 30th, 2006, 06:51 PM
I third the nomination for a boxer/dane cross.

phoenix
May 30th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I 4th it. Having a boxer lab x myself, that skinny, leggy look is what I see in my guy different from a lab. Also the white patch, black muzzle and "eyeliner", and of course the BOUNCE!
Good luck for Rocky...

Lucky Rescue
May 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM
I see no pit bull in that dog. Look at the narrow chest, for one thing.

There is no such thing as "locking jaws". I wish whoever dreamed that up could explain how that works, physiologically.:confused:

Pit bulls jaws are no more powerful than the jaws of any dog of similiar size - about 325 psi.

Yes, like any bulldog, they do hold on once they have a grip.

JenSteele, thanks for all you are doing to try to combat ignorance and hysteria!:thumbs up

Puppyluv
May 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I was deffinately thinking boxer/dane cross. So add me to that list.

pitgrrl
May 30th, 2006, 08:49 PM
I would have to agree on the boxer/dane cross....

It also depends on what the victim of the attack was doing too (I'm sure there are a few stories out there where some kid's broken into a yard/house and been bitten and then the kid wins over the dog even though he was committing a crime at the time) and how they approach the dog. Depends on the training....definately depends on genetics....

Actually, in that respect pitbulls tend to be really good at dealing with peoples stupidity when it comes to dogs. Given that it is a breed known for its friendliness towards people, stranger or not, and passes tempermant tests at an extremely high rate, you would likely make out better poking a pitbull in the eye than alot of other breeds.
There are, ofcourse, people who carelessly breed unsound dogs, but that is a whole other story.
If you go through a few pitbull rescue sites, it becomes incrediably clear that there are many of these dogs who have lived through horrible experiences that would turn anyone off humans for a lifetime. Often, they come through it happy as ever for some human affection.

mafiaprincess
May 30th, 2006, 09:16 PM
It looks like a pittie head on a dane body to me too. But that isn't going to help save his life- but if he's 9 can't he be grandfathered in for living there prior to the no more pitbulls in K-W ban?

Shaykeija
May 30th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Just tell them it is the biggest damn chi in town..:p Nice looking dog

Copper'sMom
May 31st, 2006, 12:47 AM
Just a question, can any of you tell me why you think he has Boxer in him?? I'm just wondering because I can't pick what part looks like a Boxer. Maybe then I can study my Copper more!;)
I definitely see Great Dane - even in his ears! But that face.............so very handsome, i don't know what mix he could be. When you find out let me know! He looks so very much like my boy(yet again), maybe I can prove my boy to be something other than a Pit Bull???

JenSteele
May 31st, 2006, 01:20 AM
WOW! Thanks a million everyone.

To settle some questions... Kitchener's bylaw is still in effect. Because it's more "cruel" - their word is stringent (yeah ok) it superseeds the Ontario ByLaw. The Ontario ByLaw specifies in it if a city's bylaw is more stringent the city's shall superseed Ontario's. Basically that means there's no grandfathering in Kitchener/Waterloo and Rocky is facing the same ordeal as Lily. We tried to warn people to get it out of Kitchener first... we knew if it wasn't done Kitchener would pull this.

You'll love this bit of news... Sandra just did an interview on a local radio station where she publicly spoke out against the Mayor, the KWHS and stated that we're helping in Rocky's case. Right after she got off the air, the KWHS (which is 10 minutes driving time away from us) was pounding at our door and ticketed us for failure to license Lily on the due date. Sandra explained Lily has a full year license and even showed the guy. He gave Sandra a choice of paying for another license or getting a ticket for failing to license. The KWHS bylaw enforcer who gave us a $125.00 ticket said she had really valid points and to bring those up in court when she fights the ticket. What did the ticket say? - Kitchener Bylaw 530-2.2. - Failure to license a dog as a new dog owner within 90s days of owning the dog. Doesn't even apply to us. Lily is licensed and she's been with us now for 1 year and 1/2.

Isn't this a lovely city to live in? If they can't accuse your dog of being a pit-bull and you speak out they try to falsely acuse you of something else. If you have a choice folks - Never move to Kitchener or Waterloo.

For those who need a reference to what a real American pit-bull looks like.. I've included a certified picture from the saving lily site. Yep, Rocky has NO pit in him.

JenSteele
May 31st, 2006, 01:37 AM
Just a question, can any of you tell me why you think he has Boxer in him?? ?

He looks to me like a fawn boxer/dane cross.

---- edit: On further research - and after been led to look at the Cane Corso in depth - He definitely looks like a Cane Corso/Dane mix. : ) Thanks to everyone who put in their two cents! You've helped a great deal in saving Rocky!!

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
May 31st, 2006, 02:06 AM
I'd say Boxer/Dane as well, maybe a little Cane Corso.

Watchdog
May 31st, 2006, 06:01 AM
You cant see the dogs tail in the pictures but a good way to check for any signs of pitbull in a dog is to look for the classic rats tail.

JenSteele
May 31st, 2006, 08:09 AM
I just want to add one thing cause I still see a lot of confusion about what a pit-bull is. First, stop believing the government. It is bad enough that the Canadian gov'ts have lied about statistics to envoke fear in the people so they can pass another tax-grab like Breed Specific Legislation - afterall that's what it's all about - money, but people calling cross-bred dogs pit-bulls isn't helping. It sways the actual number of real pit-bulls there are and sways statistics surrounding the dog breed. If people who have a dog that's even 1/2 pitt call that dog a pit-bull and then that dog bites - that only serves to increase the case for killing pit-bulls.

According to the UKC and AKC (remembering that the CKC doesn't even recognize the breed), a pit-bull is not a cross bred dog. So please folks stop calling your cross bred dogs pit-bulls especially if you live in Ontario and please pass this on to other cross-bred dog owners. One of the most positive ways to help owners fight losing their dogs is if people stop calling non-pit-bull dogs pit-bulls so that what a real pit-bull looks like becomes obvious and helpless people with cross-bred dogs stop risking losing their dogs while this horrible legislation is in place.

The definition they are using in the Kitchener and Ontario bylaws are what is giving the public the misconception that a cross bred dog can be a "pit-bull type" dog when cross-breeding does not a pit-bull make. The invention of calling a cross bred dog a pit-bull is a gov't invention not a breeder's designation.

On the tail, thanks for taking the time to give your input... However, the classic "rat tail" is associated with about 21 different breeds of dog - the other common misconception is that a pit-bull's tail will J. Again that's a trait of well over 30 different dogs. A tail doesn't J unless it's a longer tail and by standard a pit-bull's tail is relatively short.

The uniqueness about a pit-bulls tail is that unlike other terrier breeds it's tail is low set and actually forms a sort of water pump handle shape where it's very thick at base and forms to a point pointing straight down. However, as concluded by the UKC and AKC, the distinction of a pit-bulls tail is that it is not distinct enough for it to be a unique trait to just that breed. The other thing people don't note, is that they'll look at a thin tail from the back and say pit-bull without looking to the side. If the tail is flat like an otter, it's not a "standard" pit-bull tail.

Watchdog
May 31st, 2006, 03:02 PM
I had meant the rats tail feature to be more of a process of elimination than a finger pointing stereotype.I have found that alot of dogs that are suspected (pardon the pun) of being part pitbull have tails that have no resemblence to the pittys whatsoever.I had stated earlier in the post that I saw no pit in the dog and that my guess for the cross was a cane corso.The classic rats tail is one of many features of the pitbull that are special, with their drumming and tap- tap -tapping.Dog rescuers have came to the aid of pitbulls after they have been dumped in the street after loosing a fight and the dogs tail would be tap-tapping away in a large pool of its own blood. As far as the ban being all about money I agree but its much more than a simple tax grab.If one were to find out what the Mcguinty liberals are charging the taxpayers for the appeal(s) you may find it to be well over a million dollars.

babyrocky1
May 31st, 2006, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=JenSteele]Hi Everyone!

Sorry we've been a bit scarce. Sandra and I have been working diligently helping other people with everything from general questions to helping people organize their evidence to snapping proper photos and appearing and testifying for owners. Nope - we haven't lost one yet.

[QUOTE] Glad to hear you two are still at it, and welcome back!

JenSteele
June 1st, 2006, 09:35 AM
If one were to find out what the Mcguinty liberals are charging the taxpayers for the appeal(s) you may find it to be well over a million dollars.

No kidding. Amen to that... it's nasty when you really think about everything even beyond paying a lawyer and appeal costs.

There's the spinoffs to an entire economy - every time you write a politician about this, the politician is being paid to respond, the clerk is being paid to bring it to the politician and the webmaster or mailroom clerk is being paid to make sure the emails and mail are properly routed. The mailman is paid to deliver the response or some idiot clerk is paid to send you a generic form mail. The ByLaw enforcement agent is paid. The Organization employing the ByLaw enforcement agent is paid. The lawyers who protect the city, province and the bylaw enforcement agent are getting paid. Every time you have a case to prepare, the copy place where you have to make enough copies for everyone involved in the case makes money. Phone companies make money while you make long distance calls to lawyers, politicians and anyone else who can help. The people who site on the Dog Designation Appeals Committee get paid. The clerks who take minutes at the appeals get paid. Security who must attend the hearings get paid. Judges who hear appeals after the committee get paid and so their their clerks. Gas stations make money while you burn gas running for your lawyer to the copy place to the clerks office and wherever else you have to go. Libraries make money as you run copies to use in your case. One person can make $1000s on $1000s of dollars for the province, the city and everyone else involved in just one case. The only person who doesn't get paid? -- The person who's fighting it.

Picking on one breed of dog generates a great deal of income not just for the gov't and courts and lawyers, but for the economy as a whole. When you put this thing in a dollars and cents perspective you learn pretty quickly that you're not just up against an unfair ban infringing on your rights, you're up against the whole damn economy and a bunch of people who's paycheques rely on this staying place.

Georgiapeaches
June 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM
Hmmm...definitely Great Dane, maybe some Rhodesion Ridgeback, Presa Canario? I know someone who has a Presa mix and Rocky definitely looks like her.

If anyone has the Advocates Calendar...the dog I am speaking of is pictured in December '06 just above the word Sunday.

tybrax
June 8th, 2006, 12:39 AM
No pitty in that beautiful dog, Great Dane x Ridge.

tybrax

chico2
June 8th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Jen,nice to hear from you again and that you have not given up fighting this stupid law:thumbs up
I am in no way,qualified to guess a dog-mix,but I see Great Dane first,what might make people think Pitt,is probably the cropped ears.Had he had floppy ears I think there would have been no question as to what kind of dog he is.

happycats
June 8th, 2006, 07:20 AM
Just a question, can any of you tell me why you think he has Boxer in him?? I'm just wondering because I can't pick what part looks like a Boxer. Maybe then I can study my Copper more!;)
I definitely see Great Dane - even in his ears! But that face.............so very handsome, i don't know what mix he could be. When you find out let me know! He looks so very much like my boy(yet again), maybe I can prove my boy to be something other than a Pit Bull???

I think Boxer too!!
Boxer's have the boxey shaped head, and the droopey lips (I thinkeCopper looks like he has Boxer in him too)
My neighbor has 2 pure bred Boxers, and the female looks totally different from the male, most people think she's pit bull .

Here is a Boxer pic (pure bred) see the droopey lips? box shaped head?
You mix that with just about any other breed, and it may turn our looking like a pit bull to some.

chico2
June 8th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Here is a pic of Crystal(RIP)a Great Dane/Husky mix,the only thing Husky was her blueish eyes..

chico2
June 8th, 2006, 07:26 AM
Sorry,forgot pic:confused:

thorgren
June 8th, 2006, 10:10 AM
This Dog Is Definetly Not A Pit Bull I Dont Have Pictures On My Computer Of My Dog Also Named Rocky Who Died Last Year But The Resemblence Is Striking! My Rocky Was A Boxer/ Rottweiler Mix The Head Is A Rottweiller Head Also Body Matches Rottweiler The Colors Are From The Boxer Family I Now Own A Full Blooded Rottweiler My Children Own 2 Pitbulls There Is No Way This Dog Is A Pitbull!

JenSteele
June 19th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Turns out after a LOT of research and hunting down people that Rocky is a Great Dane/Greyhound/Cane Corso --- The proof was in the butt.. OY! I have seen more dog butts over this one than I wanna see for the next 40 years YIKE!

Schwinn
June 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Probably still better than looking at any ass in the Liberal party...

Watchdog
June 19th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I guess he didnt have a rats tail?- just kidding.

JenSteele
June 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM
HA!!! ... give me a liberal ass and I'll show you a rat tail (smirk)

greenpixie18
June 30th, 2006, 02:55 AM
Um actually and honestly, Rocky is a pitbull mix, I can tell by the cute eyes and flat forehead, he's got a pit's face but a Great Dane's body almost. Is it just me or have i've seen so far many pitbull mixes. Pitbulls will always be around. Pit bulls are not the problem, their gorgeous looks just tend to attract the wrong people. Pit bulls are naturally "Dog" aggressive and should be the most human loyal dogs which means they would not be the best guard dogs because they were bred to be trusted with they're masters during pit fights. Think about it, a small pit with two fighting pitbulls and owners right behind to keep things under control, usually during dog fights anything in a dog's way would be bitten, a pit bull's owner trusts its dog in those tiny pits to never mistaken his arm as something to bite; any pit bulls that would harm a human would be put down during those times b/c only the best and loyal were bred. Since pit bulls are dog aggressive, in order to avoid future fights is to socialize your puppy with many dogs during the critical period of 3-13 weeks and teach him/her to respect you based upon the natural laws of dog. Before purchasing a pit bull, you need to learn how to handle him/her and understand them, past, and history.

jesse's mommy
June 30th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Buddy you are preaching to the choir here. You are not telling us anything that we don't already know. There is a good chunk of people on this board who are pit owners and who are fighting BSL. There is also a good chunk of people on this board who are rescues and work very hard to correct the mistakes of irresponsible owners And pit bulls are NOT naturally dog agressive. I own a pit who is the most submissive dog there is and gets along with every dog she comes in contact with. She will also lay on her belly and crawl over to a dog if the dog is smaller than her. Before you make statements that pits are dog agressive, you may want to do some research. ANY dog can be dog aggressive or people aggressive, it depends on the owner. Search the BSL forum you will find a ton of information there to educate yourself. Remember punish the deed, not the breed.

Also, if you read this entire thread you would have read that the dog was found to be a dane/cane corso mix. Here is a link to the cane corso:

http://www.canecorso.org/photos.htm

The dog is definitely cane corso.

babyrocky1
June 30th, 2006, 05:49 PM
Um actually and honestly, Rocky is a pitbull mix, I can tell by the cute eyes and flat forehead, he's got a pit's face but a Great Dane's body almost. Is it just me or have i've seen so far many pitbull mixes. Pitbulls will always be around. Pit bulls are not the problem, their gorgeous looks just tend to attract the wrong people. Pit bulls are naturally "Dog" aggressive and should be the most human loyal dogs which means they would not be the best guard dogs because they were bred to be trusted with they're masters during pit fights. Think about it, a small pit with two fighting pitbulls and owners right behind to keep things under control, usually during dog fights anything in a dog's way would be bitten, a pit bull's owner trusts its dog in those tiny pits to never mistaken his arm as something to bite; any pit bulls that would harm a human would be put down during those times b/c only the best and loyal were bred. Since pit bulls are dog aggressive, in order to avoid future fights is to socialize your puppy with many dogs during the critical period of 3-13 weeks and teach him/her to respect you based upon the natural laws of dog. Before purchasing a pit bull, you need to learn how to handle him/her and understand them, past, and history.welcome to the board Greenpixie 18, we can see you know and love the breed. People here are divided in opinion as far as "pit bulls" being naturally dog aggressive and to what degree, none of us however are divided when it comes to the love of the breed. We are all committed to being responsible owners of our alleged "pitties" however, that being said, many, many times dogs of unknown parantage are mistakenly identified as "pit bulls" and that is part of the reason that BSL is very difficult to enforce, there is no way to prove that a dog is or is not a pit bull, as has been discussed over and over in this forum as well as many others and many courts around the world, the science tells us that a dog who may somewhat resemble a "pit bull" could just as easily be a cross of hundreds of different breeds. A very common cross would be a boxer/lab. You have only looked at the dog from a photo, this is a court case that was successful in proving that the dog is not a "pit bull" and with all due respect, many of us have had lots of experience with " pit bulls" as well and we still cant tell for sure. We, like you, are not "experts" In this thread we are simply giving opinions based on our experience and then from those opinions, if they are useful, they are more seriously investigated. In this case, it seems that our opinons were helpful in pointing out some of the breeds other than
pit bull" that could be in Rocky, and aparantly a judge ultimately agreed. This decision has saved Rockys life!

OntarioGreys
June 30th, 2006, 07:23 PM
A greyhound mix could be very very iffy unless this dog or its parent came from the US, there are only 3 greyhound breeders in Canada, 2 out in western Canada one was in Drumbo, Ontario most of her pups bred went to the US for show and lurecoursing competitions, she was a very very responsible breeder one of North Americas best, so very unlikely any of her dogs are out creating mixes and she has retired from breeding for few years now and instead is a judge is show competitions in US and Canada as well as president for the lurecousing circuit here in Ontario.

There are actually a few more but these are out west in the western prairies, mostly mixes now that are used to hunt down coyotes on farms but the numbers are small and it is just farm breedings mostly to keep as coyotes hunters for themselves of other farmers

The only real population of greyhounds in Ontario are retired NGA racers and they are spayed and neutered prior to adoption, this makes finding a true greyhound mix in Ontario pretty darn rare unless it was adopted out of the US

I am not saying impossible, do you know how old he is or anything about his origins as in was he born in Ontario?

If not maybe check with the great dane rescue in Ontario they sometime bring up dogs from the US, they may have placed him at one time, they are in Lindsay Ontario, they may have some matching adoption records which would help also with breed identification

greenpixie18
July 31st, 2006, 06:26 PM
Buddy you are preaching to the choir here. You are not telling us anything that we don't already know. There is a good chunk of people on this board who are pit owners and who are fighting BSL. There is also a good chunk of people on this board who are rescues and work very hard to correct the mistakes of irresponsible owners And pit bulls are NOT naturally dog agressive. I own a pit who is the most submissive dog there is and gets along with every dog she comes in contact with. She will also lay on her belly and crawl over to a dog if the dog is smaller than her. Before you make statements that pits are dog agressive, you may want to do some research. ANY dog can be dog aggressive or people aggressive, it depends on the owner. Search the BSL forum you will find a ton of information there to educate yourself. Remember punish the deed, not the breed.

Also, if you read this entire thread you would have read that the dog was found to be a dane/cane corso mix. Here is a link to the cane corso:

http://www.canecorso.org/photos.htm

The dog is definitely cane corso.

I am not punishing the breed all i'm saying is that pitbulls need responsible owners who need to understand their behaviors and as such, but "many" pitbulls are dog agressive and all it takes is serious socializing to snap them out of it...it depends on the owner mainly, not the pit, the owner has to reinforce the behavior of keeping cool around other dogs. And i have a right to give my own opinion...even though you all know what i already know...how am i supposed to know that????

jesse's mommy
July 31st, 2006, 06:31 PM
*** Second, you just need to educate yourself more before you make a statement as you did. As I said before, Pits are NOT dog aggressive. As with ANY dog, it depends how you raise them. Any dog can be aggressive -- ANY DOG! All dogs need responsible owners, not just pit owners. My dog was bit by a JRT who turned out to be dog aggressive. Was that dog banned? NO! My point is, you just need to educate yourself. As I said before, Punish the deed, not the breed. This means punish the irresponsible owners of any dog that raises their dog to be dog or human aggressive, not just pit owners.

greenpixie18
July 31st, 2006, 06:37 PM
This is my beautiful baby, 100% pitbull representing the breed with beautiful body and gentle behavior, his name is King and he's never even play bited as a pup, very gentle with babies and family, loves pups, doesn't get along with males unless they're submissive and is a lady's man. I LOOVEEEEE him sooooo much, he's 7 years old...ain't he beautiful?? :) http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l271/greenpixie18/king4.jpg

greenpixie18
July 31st, 2006, 06:42 PM
First of all, watch your language before one of the mods get a hold of you. Second, you just need to educate yourself more before you make a statement as you did. As I said before, Pits are NOT dog aggressive. As with ANY dog, it depends how you raise them. Any dog can be aggressive -- ANY DOG! All dogs need responsible owners, not just pit owners. My dog was bit by a JRT who turned out to be dog aggressive. Was that dog banned? NO! My point is, you just need to educate yourself. As I said before, Punish the deed, not the breed. This means punish the irresponsible owners of any dog that raises their dog to be dog or human aggressive, not just pit owners.

I like your quote below about children, and i only said *** which isn't a bad word. Okay, it does depend on the owner but pits were bred to love a challenge and when dealing with other dogs that challenge them....well. My pitbull is very calm, he's had a young pitbull bark ferociously in his face...and yet still he remained calm. Most pit owners are irresponsible b/c pitbulls attract the wrong type of people.

greenpixie18
July 31st, 2006, 06:43 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l271/greenpixie18/king1.jpg

jesse's mommy
July 31st, 2006, 06:43 PM
He is beautiful. Pits really are the best dogs in the world. They do everything to please their owners, unfortunately some owners praise their dogs to be aggressive and that's where all the problems start. But the thing that people don't realize is that most dogs will do anything to please their owners and if you praise any dog to be aggressive or tease them to the point of spite, they will be agressive. As I said before, Jesse was bit by a JRT and what did this scary pit bull do? Her ears went down, tail between her legs, and she was shaking, hiding behind me and just peeking through my legs. It's just a shame that pits have the reputation they do because of irresponsible owners, but no other dogs have the same reputation. Personally, I've seen more smaller dogs with attitude and aggression than I have seen in larger dogs.

greenpixie18
July 31st, 2006, 06:58 PM
It's sad really, it makes me mad when i see bad pit owners. I'm just worried that one day someone will try to take away my dog because of irresponsible owners :(

jesse's mommy
July 31st, 2006, 07:04 PM
Look at what the folks in Toronto are going through now. Their pits have to be muzzled in public. I know somewhere in Colorado and somewhere in Illinois have banning laws in place too. It's a scary scenario which is why everyone who owns a dog, not just pits, need to stand up and fight BSL. It's a horrible thing, but it's a reality that we have to face. All it takes is one stupid owner and one uneducated politician who is popular enough to sway public opinion.

wdawson
August 1st, 2006, 08:33 PM
in the great white north:sad: we have too many of both:eek:

jesse's mommy
August 1st, 2006, 08:37 PM
We have our share of both too. A few towns over from me has a politician who was all over the news tonight about putting a pit bull ban in place. Actually, here is the story:

http://www.wesh.com/news/9611907/detail.html

It scares the poop out of me!

wdawson
August 1st, 2006, 08:43 PM
welcome to ontario.......i mean ocala:eek: ........this pit fearing virus is spreading faster than the flu:eek:

babyrocky1
August 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
One of the problems is that these low life politicians see other low life politicians making a name for themselves from these "witch hunts"- its free publicity for them! They capitialize on the bullies bad rep...!
Who would have really heard of Bryant if it werent for this!
Ill always believe this was nothing more than a publicity stunt of EPIC proportions by our AG and it most certainly would look appealing to others of less than noble character!
Even that creep Worhington exploited the situation and got alot of milage out of our misery. Sure we made him look bad overall, but his readership was likely high for all of his "pittie" crap. :(

greenpixie18
August 8th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Help people! I'm about to move to Colorado with my family and I don't know if pitbulls are banned in Colorado....I know they are in Denver and um Aurora?? But I need to know where exactly.....This is crazy I can't believe they are doing this! It's not fair, they're trying to control us...as americans we shouldn't be told what to do with our animals (besides abuse of course)...this isn't fair, i'm so worried and scared.

jesse's mommy
August 8th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Here's a link to pit bull friendly organizations in the US and some places in Canada. I'm sure you can just call one of the places in Colorado and they could give you information. I'm pretty positive these organizations will know the specific details for the entire state. Good Luck!

http://www.pbrc.net/organizations.html

I know we called a bunch of shelters here in Florida before we moved here to make sure there were no bans or anything like that. If there was a ban, I would have turned down the promotion.

greenpixie18
August 9th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Hey, thanks ;) I know...I would never give up my pitbull b/c it's just wrong to do that to someone who is apart of my family...seriously, I don't have any kids and he is my kid, I love him so much. I feel bad about pitbulls being banned, they are the greatest dogs ever, it's just sad that because of their looks that they attract the wrong and irressponsible owners :(

babyrocky1
August 9th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Try My Dog Votes as well...Ill see if I can find the link.

babyrocky1
August 9th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Its www.mydogvotes.com
somewhere on that site it should let you know whats going on with BSL all over the place.
Since I brought that up, if you hit that link you will see that they are planning a worldwide candlelight vigil for Sunday, August the 2oth. The Pit Bull Co-op will be doing something, not sure what yet, :candle: :dog: :pawprint: :usa: :ca:

greenpixie18
August 12th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Thanks everyone ;) I'm relieved to know that the area that i am moving to hasn't banned pits "yet" :( But i'd never give up my dog!